Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Just Signed up to Sky with MAC

This is a discussion on Just Signed up to Sky with MAC within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've just signed up with SKY Max and supplied my MAC (after about 25 minutes on the phone to BT ...

Paul N is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just Signed up to Sky with MAC

I've just signed up with SKY Max and supplied my MAC (after about 25 minutes on the phone to BT listening to them telling me why I shouldn't go to Sky).

How long can I expect to wait for the router to arrive and from then when should I be connected? When the date does come, is it a case of finding your Internet doesn't work, connect up the Sky router, then it does? Also, do they supply filters? I've already got an ADSL faceplate but one extension line is unfiltered at the mo, and in use.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Just Signed up to Sky with MAC

Hi

The router should arrive within 10 days or so. You will get a letter with your Sky Email Username and Password, and also a notification of when your service should go live. With a leadway of 3 extra days to allow for BT to get their act together and connect you.

One you have been activated, your old ISP will be disconnected and it should just be a case of plugging your new Sky router in and away you go.

You will get 3 filters with the Sky router.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
      I've already got an ADSL faceplate but one extension line is unfiltered at the mo, and in use.
      If you've got an ADSL faceplate, you shouldn't need to use microfilters. Normal telephone extensions - regardless of whether they're the "plug-in" type, or wired permanently into the master socket - are all effectively filtered anyway.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      If you've got an ADSL faceplate, you shouldn't need to use microfilters. Normal telephone extensions - regardless of whether they're the "plug-in" type, or wired permanently into the master socket - are all effectively filtered anyway.
      I was wondering about that. There's a wire coming from behind the main socket (the box the ADSL face plate is screwed onto) that goes to an extension socket upstairs. So this line would be filtered?

The other thing is there is an extension line plugged into the face plate, which used to connect to the sky box in the lounge (no longer there so just an open ended extension). When I unplug this extension from the face plate, the Noise Margin reading for downstream on my router goes from 11 to 14 DB. When I plug it into the face plate, the reading ducks down to about 2 DB then up to 11 again. Unplug it, back up to 14 DB.

What am I seeing here?
      Last edited by Paul N; 05-02-08 at 11:05 PM.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

That's sounds like you've got a duff ADSL faceplate. An ADSL faceplate has a filter in it, which is supposed to keep the interference from things like telephones and your Sky TV box away from the ADSL signal. Of course, filters aren't perfect so it's not unusual to see a slight difference when you plug equipment in, but the size of that jump indicates that something is badly wrong.

Is the cable that goes upstairs wired on to the inside face of of the ADSL faceplate? It should be and would certainly cause problems if it's been wired directly to the A and B connectors on the inside part of the master socket. Strictly speaking, you should never touch the A and B connectors. And you get a little electric shock if someone phones you up while you're touching them!

One thing that you could do to assess whether the ADSL faceplate really is faulty, would be to remove it, and plug a microfilter into the test socket (the internal socket that the faceplate plugs into). Plug your router into the Modem socket of the microfilter, and your whatever you had plugged into the Phone side of the faceplate into the Phone socket of the microfilter. You shouldn't see much of a change when you plug in the phone equipment.

You can get a replacement ADSL faceplate from ADSL Nation. Their splitter faceplate is built to a higher spec than the standard BT one. I'm not entirely sure if those higher specs actually equate to much better performance, but if you're replacing it, you may as well get the best, and ADSL Nation are a very reputable supplier. Don't forget to get one of their temporary punch-down tools if you plan to wire a telphone extension onto the internal terminals on the faceplate.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've had a look and the extension for upstairs is wired into the rear of the faceplate so that would appear correct.

Today my noise margin was at 15db. I reconnected the extension plugged into the front of the faceplate and the margin fell to 11db, then after a minute climbed back to 15db. I unplugged it and it fell to 12db and then after a minute climbed to 15db again. It then hovered between 13db and 15db.

I think I'll go with a new faceplate just to be on the safe side.

Thanks NewsreadeR and James. You've been a great help.