Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

ipod touch

This is a discussion on ipod touch within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by NewsreadeR Anything we can do to help we will. However using the current guide, Sky User - ...

SilverJDM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bracknell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: ipod touch

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Anything we can do to help we will. However using the current guide,

Sky User - Unofficial Help and Support for Sky Broadband and everything Sky! - Setup Wireless IPOD Touch on Sky Broadband

Worked first time for myself.
      That tutorial is OK* if everything goes according to plan but for people like myself who have problems maybe a more indepth tutorial will help as Googling the problem shows how many people have the same struggle to connect.

*I think point 4 should be clarified/up dated

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SilverJDM View Post

I'm willing to give anything ago, I'll hard reset when I get home (at work at the mo) but I guess I'll lose whatever settings are on there (ports & such), BTW my home IP does start 192 but the IP address on the Touch was showing as 169.254.149.90, I have not assigned this IP address
      An IP address in the 169.254.*.* range is NOT one handed out by your router (that would be in the 192.168.*.* range).

IP address starting 169.254 is an IP address of the type Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) assigned by Windows when there is no DHCP server on the network.

I would not expect your iPod touch to have a 169.254 address at all, unless it is somehow connected to your computer (maybe via bluetooth?) rather than the router.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by Sky Broadband since 2007 ++

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Just did a quick bit of research on the Apple Discussion Forums. It seems that 169.254.*.* is ALSO an IP address self-assigned by iPod touch when it can't connect to the network.

Looks like the things to double-check are your network settings on the router and then power cycle the router, do a "forget the network" on iPod touch and then start over with network settings on iPod touch.

Go here Apple - Support - Discussions - iPod touch and search for 169.254 to get further ideas to solve this one.
      Last edited by speedyrite; 31-08-08 at 03:39 PM.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by Sky Broadband since 2007 ++

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I know there is a tutorial available already on the main part of this site. However I believe someone mentioned the lack of images.

There is also more than this way in which to setup a wireless connection on the Ipod Touch/IPhone and I have listed these too.

Have a read, and let me know what you think. I have attached it as a PDF and it is only 600K in size.

Please do let me know what you think, and let me know if the images help
      Attached Files Attached Files
      Last edited by HSNetwork; 03-09-08 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Attachment updates
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HSNetwork View Post
      I know there is a tutorial available already on the main part of this site. However I believe someone mentioned the lack of images.

There is also more than this way in which to setup a wireless connection on the Ipod Touch/IPhone and I have listed these too.

Have a read, and let me know what you think. I have attached it as a PDF and it is only 600K in size.

Very good tutorial, I think this will help many people... I think the problem I have is related to the Sky router & may have to reset when I get a chance..

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I could extend the tutorial to show what the router displays in terms of the Ipod connecting if this would help?

First port of call though would be to reset the router (make a note of what port forwards you have ). You can also try and manipulate the IP by going into the Ipods config panel (go to Settings > WI-FI > Your SSID (click the small round arrow button on the right hand side) and then select static at which point you will be able to alter the IP address and DNS settings etc.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

"Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

brianc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEBDT
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Do not know if this helps but I could not connect to my Sky Netgear with WPA switched on.

Since changed to a Linksys and use WEP and the touch connects no problem.

Does the itouch support WPA ?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Yup, the Itouch does support WPA, it also supports WPA2, WPA Enterprise etc.

It could have been that the wireless wasnt working right and so a reset may have curred it. Have you tried this? Have you tried redoing the wireless settings on the netgear? (IE Turned off the ACL (Access Control List)) if you have it turned on etc etc.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Added to the Tutorials on the main CMS.

Sky User - Unofficial Help and Support for Sky Broadband and everything Sky! - Setting up Wireless on an iPod Touch / iPhone (With screenshots)

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

I could extend the tutorial to show what the router displays in terms of the Ipod connecting if this would help?

First port of call though would be to reset the router (make a note of what port forwards you have ). You can also try and manipulate the IP by going into the Ipods config panel (go to Settings > WI-FI > Your SSID (click the small round arrow button on the right hand side) and then select static at which point you will be able to alter the IP address and DNS settings etc.
      If you have the time to extend the tutorial that would be great & also including what you have added here... Also you have worried me about my 'port forwards', how do I check them?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast