Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

ipod touch

This is a discussion on ipod touch within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by speedyrite The purpose of MAC filtering is to add some security to your network in the form ...

SilverJDM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bracknell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: ipod touch

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      The purpose of MAC filtering is to add some security to your network in the form of only allowing wireless access from known and trusted devices, or in other words to help prevent unauthorised wireless access by devices that are not yours!

Whether to have it on or off is entirely your choice, I suppose it depends on your level of concern about protecting your network. I prefer to have it switched on.

To switch off MAC filtering, go back into the Wireless Station Access List and untick "Turn Access Control On". Then click Apply.

Now, it seems like your iPod touch can now see your wireless network but it isn't connecting, so the only other thing I can think of is that you may have input the WPA security key incorrectly. It needs to be input in capital letters. Before you key it in, double tap the shift key on yout iPod touch onscreen keyboard (to put it into caps lock), then type in your WPA security key.
      I'd prefer to leave it on if it offers extra security, I'll try re-entering the WPA key again when I get home but I'd be surprised if I had entered it incorrectly as I was so careful when entering it as I didn't want this to be the reason I couldn't connect..

Edit: I have stupidly left my Touch at work so it will have to wait until tomorrow night when I get home.... blast.....
      Last edited by SilverJDM; 29-08-08 at 07:48 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

OK I'm totally baffled, I've tried everything I've been told to do but it still won't work, also somebody at work has the same problem & he's had his Touch for 8 months, he said he can connect at 'wifi hotspots' but not to his Sky router at home!

My Sky wireless settings are:
      SSID: SKY***** (not sure if these need to be kept secret)
      Region: Europe
      Channel: 11
      Mode: g&b
      The following are ticked
      Enable Wireless Access Point
      Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)

The following is selected
      WPA-PSK
      I have entered the WPA-PSK network key that is listed at the bottom of the wireless settings page into the 'Enter Password' on the Touch & yes I have checked & double checked that it was input in CAPITALS, as I've said before my Touch can then see my wireless network but I still get 'Safari can't open the page because it is not connected to the internet'

Can anybody shed any light on this problem?
      Last edited by SilverJDM; 31-08-08 at 02:30 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Go into the router and disable the Security Options. If you can connect then it is a problem with the security. You can try changing the code from the default to one of your own. As a temporary solution use only numbers, say 11111111, this will rule out small case/caps problems. You should do this anyway, for better security with a strong key of course. While you are in the Wireless settings, delete the 'Trusted Stations' and Untick 'Turn Access list on'. At the moment this only serves to confuse.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Go into the router and disable the Security Options. If you can connect then it is a problem with the security. You can try changing the code from the default to one of your own. As a temporary solution use only numbers, say 11111111, this will rule out small case/caps problems. You should do this anyway, for better security with a strong key of course. While you are in the Wireless settings, delete the 'Trusted Stations' and Untick 'Turn Access list on'. At the moment this only serves to confuse.
      OK I did as you suggested & disabled the security but I still could not get Safari to connect so what do you think could be the problem? I then switched the security back on which flashed up an incorrect password on the Touch so I changed the code on the Touch to match the new code on the router but I still can't connect (when I say connect I mean Safari says it is not connected to the internet)

One other thing, on the Touch under settings should there be anything in the DHCP IP address?

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Much as it pains me to say so, I am very sorry to say that I am now stumped by your problem!

All the advice given so far in this thread should have fixed the problem one way or another, so it sounds like one of those quirky problems where I would need to be there and see it to make any further progress.

Very sorry that I cannot help you any further, but good luck - I hope you can find a way to get it sorted. I'll follow this thread to see how it turns out for you, as I may learn something new from this myself!!!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by Sky Broadband since 2007 ++

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SilverJDM View Post

One other thing, on the Touch under settings should there be anything in the DHCP IP address?
      Yep in settings click on WIFI networks, find the entry for your Sky SSID and press the > symbol beside it. If the ITouch is connected properly you should have IP, Subnet and DNS info there. DNS is 192.168.0.1, Subnet 255.255.255.0 and your IP will be something in the 192.168.0.X range.
      I would strongly suggest hard reseting the router back to how it was sent to you and see if that makes any difference as the ITouch should connect out of the box.

supertrouper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT broadband
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Guys,I'm not on Sky BB but BT for my sins

I was having the same problem with my Ipod touch and tired the disabling sercurity and I was still getting the message that safari couldn't open as i wasn't connected to the network.

After a bit of googling i found this is quite a common problem so what i had to do was reset the router to factory settings and then on the Touch go to Settings >general>reset and reset the Touch.Since i did this i have had no problems connecting to my network at all.

It found the network straightaway,i entered the WPA key and was good to go.

HTH

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Yes, that's good advice from PaulSky and supertrouper, if resetting both the router and the iPod touch doesn't sort it, nothing will !!!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by Sky Broadband since 2007 ++

Thanks

Much as it pains me to say so, I am very sorry to say that I am now stumped by your problem!

All the advice given so far in this thread should have fixed the problem one way or another, so it sounds like one of those quirky problems where I would need to be there and see it to make any further progress.

Very sorry that I cannot help you any further, but good luck - I hope you can find a way to get it sorted. I'll follow this thread to see how it turns out for you, as I may learn something new from this myself!!!
      I thank you for your efforts, it's probably someting really stupid... maybe if I get it sorted the mods can do a complete how to....

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Yep in settings click on WIFI networks, find the entry for your Sky SSID and press the > symbol beside it. If the ITouch is connected properly you should have IP, Subnet and DNS info there. DNS is 192.168.0.1, Subnet 255.255.255.0 and your IP will be something in the 192.168.0.X range.
      I would strongly suggest hard reseting the router back to how it was sent to you and see if that makes any difference as the ITouch should connect out of the box.
      I'm willing to give anything ago, I'll hard reset when I get home (at work at the mo) but I guess I'll lose whatever settings are on there (ports & such), BTW my home IP does start 192 but the IP address on the Touch was showing as 169.254.149.90, I have not assigned this IP address

Quote Originally Posted by supertrouper View Post
      Hi Guys,I'm not on Sky BB but BT for my sins

I was having the same problem with my Ipod touch and tired the disabling sercurity and I was still getting the message that safari couldn't open as i wasn't connected to the network.

After a bit of googling i found this is quite a common problem so what i had to do was reset the router to factory settings and then on the Touch go to Settings >general>reset and reset the Touch.Since i did this i have had no problems connecting to my network at all.

It found the network straightaway,i entered the WPA key and was good to go.

HTH
      Thanks for the advice

Yes, that's good advice from PaulSky and supertrouper, if resetting both the router and the iPod touch doesn't sort it, nothing will !!!
      If 'nothing will' I'll be sending the Touch back & getting a iPod Classic

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I thank you for your efforts, it's probably someting really stupid... maybe if I get it sorted the mods can do a complete how to....
      Anything we can do to help we will. However using the current guide,

Sky User - Unofficial Help and Support for Sky Broadband and everything Sky! - Setup Wireless IPOD Touch on Sky Broadband

Worked first time for myself.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast