Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

ipod touch

This is a discussion on ipod touch within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; It works with the default WPA settings to be honest so as long as you input the key correctly it ...

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: ipod touch

It works with the default WPA settings to be honest so as long as you input the key correctly it should work. If it doesn't I would check what channel the router is on to start with.

2. Advertisement
      SilverJDM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bracknell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I have read this help file, reread it, printed it, read it, reread it & reread it again all to no avail...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      It works with the default WPA settings to be honest so as long as you input the key correctly it should work. If it doesn't I would check what channel the router is on to start with.
      When following the above tutorial it automatically changes it to 6, could you check yours & advise what you have please..

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If the channel is set on 6 then the Mode must be set to Auto 108. Use the drop down box to change this to g&b, this will allow you to change the channel. Try 13 for a start.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If the channel is set on 6 then the Mode must be set to Auto 108. Use the drop down box to change this to g&b, this will allow you to change the channel. Try 13 for a start.
      OK I may have been getting confused, the tutorial I was using 'http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-wireless.html', which states to set up your wireless network, you need to change the mode to Auto 108, I will try it your way when I get home (typing this at work). Could you tell what the difference between Auto 108 & g&b is please??...
      Last edited by SilverJDM; 28-08-08 at 05:56 PM.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I think Auto108 is/was Netgear's attempt to soup up 802.11g speeds in the days before the 802.11n spec & kit came along! I believe this setting makes the wireless connection go as fast as it can up to a notional 108Mbps. iPod probably doesn't like it. My router is on g&b and channel 11, the iPod touch connects just fine...
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by Sky Broadband since 2007 ++

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Auto is supposed to tune the router to use the best channel available, for some this works OK, but for others it just does not work.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

OK I thought maybe getting somewhere, I have set my wireless settings to channel 12 & the mode to g&b, I then click on 'setup access list' and there was 00:1E:C2:82:FD:98 under the heading 'Available Wireless Stations' I clicked Add which moved the 00:1E:C2:82:FD:98 to the 'Trusted Wireless Stations'.... I then went to my iPod wifi settings & under 'Choose a network' I choose my router SKY576**, entered the network key, clicked 'Join' & then on the iPod I got a tick next to SKY576** & next to the iPod sign at the top left hand corner I get a blue wireless sign yipee!! So there's me thinking that I've cracked it so I go back to the main icons click on the safari icon, try to do a search & I get 'Safari can't open the page because it is not connected to the internet'!!!!!!!!! Can anybody explain what the hell is going on, I have other things in life to do than to mess about with this...

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SilverJDM View Post
      OK I thought maybe getting somewhere, I have set my wireless settings to channel 12 & the mode to g&b, I then click on 'setup access list' and there was 00:1E:C2:82:FD:98 under the heading 'Available Wireless Stations' I clicked Add which moved the 00:1E:C2:82:FD:98 to the 'Trusted Wireless Stations'....
      You are getting somewhere! Didn't realise you had MAC filtering switched on in the router (I think it's usually off by default). Anyway, you also need to click on the "Apply" button *after* you have clicked on the "Add" button in the trusted wireless stations list. Go back into the router and see if your iPod touch is still waiting to be added to the list of trusted wireless stations. If it is, click "add" then click "Apply" - that should do it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      You are getting somewhere! Didn't realise you had MAC filtering switched on in the router (I think it's usually off by default). Anyway, you also need to click on the "Apply" button *after* you have clicked on the "Add" button in the trusted wireless stations list. Go back into the router and see if your iPod touch is still waiting to be added to the list of trusted wireless stations. If it is, click "add" then click "Apply" - that should do it!
      Do I need MAC filtering switched on? if not how do I switch it off? Also I had clicked apply which moved it up to the 'Trusted Wireless Stations'.. Thanks for your time & assistance

Thanks
      Blog Entries

The purpose of MAC filtering is to add some security to your network in the form of only allowing wireless access from known and trusted devices, or in other words to help prevent unauthorised wireless access by devices that are not yours!

Whether to have it on or off is entirely your choice, I suppose it depends on your level of concern about protecting your network. I prefer to have it switched on.

To switch off MAC filtering, go back into the Wireless Station Access List and untick "Turn Access Control On". Then click Apply.

Now, it seems like your iPod touch can now see your wireless network but it isn't connecting, so the only other thing I can think of is that you may have input the WPA security key incorrectly. It needs to be input in capital letters. Before you key it in, double tap the shift key on yout iPod touch onscreen keyboard (to put it into caps lock), then type in your WPA security key.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast