Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Used another router sky cut me off :/

This is a discussion on Used another router sky cut me off :/ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme malc-c wrote Did you get an indication of what your actual speed will be? The 16Mb ...

malc-c is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Used another router sky cut me off :/

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      malc-c wrote

Did you get an indication of what your actual speed will be? The 16Mb quoted is an 'Up To' figure and covers everything from next to nothing up to 16Mb. If you do not live fairly close to the exchange you are very unlikely to get the maximum speed.
      The "test" on the sky website predicted around 8MB, but we're less than 350 mtrs from the exchange and fed E/O (ie no cabinets, and the BT guy recons very few joints) so I'm hoping to get a decent speed. Even if we get 8MB that's double what NTL provide.... so I'll still be happy with that

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think Sky use the official BT figures, which only go to a maximum of 8Mb. If you have your attenuation or your actual distance from the exchange, put it into the SkyUserChecker it will give you an accurate estimate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Using that checker gives me the same estimate based on the 350 meter distance.. How do I check the attenuation ??? - do I need to have SkyBB activated ?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^^^^^
      Maybe you have used it wrongly, the distance used is kilometres so you should enter 0.35. I think you will find it estimates 24Mb

I think you have to sync with the exchange to get attenuation, but there is nothing to be lost by plugging it in to the phone line, enter the router stats and click the 'Statistics' button.
      Last edited by Isitme; 31-05-08 at 03:28 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

^^^^^^^
      Maybe you have used it wrongly, the distance used is kilometres so you should enter 0.35.
      Doh ! - entering in 0.35 I get
      We estimate your line is capable of between 16mb to 24mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service.

I think you have to sync with the exchange to get attenuation, but there is nothing to be lost by plugging it in to the phone line, enter the router stats and click the 'Statistics' button.
      I'll try that and see if that makes any difference - cheers

prometheus63 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hello,

new to forum.

I have questioned the legality of there T&C's and am looking in to it further. Section d para 3, i think it is, only states that, 'you can only access sky broadband from your router'. it makes no mention of the router they supplied.

senario, you can access sky braodband form any wireless capable device, eg a laptop, by using an unsecured wireless sky router connected to sky broadband.

plus, if you set it up your self it becomes your property, and as such is no longer theirs, as per their T&C's therefore, maybe then you mabe breaking T&C's in there eyes as the router is no longer sky's. at this stage you have to use it because its the only way to access sky broadband.

Finally, if my own router breeaks I replace, and know that I will get one that is good and likely to far outlast a sky one. or better still purcahse my own with extended free warranty or lifetime warranty. But sky if they are correct can supply customers with a product that is to say the least rubbish and barely upto the task, you would then have to purchase a new router off them for a rediculous price with little or no choice of models, if it breaks down outside of warranty. They did say that it would be replaced. When I asked them to pout this in writing, not a hope in hell.

This whole condition not only appears to be covered by the unfair T&C's legislation but as I have already said, does not actually say that you must use the sky router provided.

if my comments are inaccurate please tell me.

comments please.

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus63 View Post
      I have questioned the legality of there T&C's and am looking in to it further.
      Go for it, but you are wasting your time and energies.

There is nothing in this respect in their T&Cs that is in any way "illegal". There is nothing in them that is unfair or uncompetitive or that disadvantages you in any way at all. By delivering to you a router they have given you the service that they describe.

The fact that you do not like that router, or think that you may be able to do better with another brand is irrelevant in legal terms. Remember, it is a legal contract, not a technical one. They make no technical promises as such. And in that respect Caveat Emptor applies and is completely legal and valid.

That you have signed up for the service is a tacit implication that you have accepted the T&Cs completely. If you haven't then Sky are completely withinin their legal right to terminate your service temporarily or permanently.

In short, it is their train set.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Personally I can't see what the problem is. I've just taken up Sky BB after being with NTL before it was snapped up by Virgin, and only months prior had purchased a D-link Wireless router that is now religated to the draw I keep old PC gear in as its of no use now... but I'm not bothered.... The Sky route does what its intended to do, it gives me access to the internet, e-mail, chat and FTP and all at 16MB (as we live near to the exchange). It is also very attractive (compared to some of the boxes I've seen), but then this is a matter of personal taste. If it developes a fault then I'll contact Sky and request a replacement, same as I did with NTL who replaced the modem months before I moved to Sky.

As for the legality of connecting other equipment, then I'm sure that given the amount of money Sky have, I'm sure they would of employed a good legal team to confirm their T&Cs would stand up in a cour of law if required.

Just my 2p worth
      Cheers

Malcolm
      www.micro-heli.co.uk

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I have no problem with the Sagem myself, but if I was you Malc-c, I would use the program on this site and get your username and password just for a bit of insurance should the worst happen and you have to wait for a week or so for a replacement

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Brian,

You see I would have no alternative but to wait as I was a cable customer before, so have no adsl modem. However, if I did have a different router, and Sky couldn't organise a replacement for a couple of weeks then I can't see the problem in using the other router until the replacement arrives, unless there is something in the firmware that affects their network
      Cheers

Malcolm
      www.micro-heli.co.uk

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast