Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Used another router sky cut me off :/

This is a discussion on Used another router sky cut me off :/ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I joined this site last night! Here's the story why.... I was with tiscali and had been for several years, ...

Migrant is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Used another router sky cut me off :/

I joined this site last night! Here's the story why.... I was with tiscali and had been for several years, I finaly got fed up with them throttling my bandwidth in the evening (No it wasn't just high usage in the exchange) Anyway I set about looking for another ISP. Being that I work in PC repair I come across quite a lot of various different problems with ISP's. One that I had not heard any trouble with was sky. I looked into what they had to offer with broadband being the main attraction, however if I signed up for the broadband and tv with phone I would be paying 5.00 more than I was before but also have the telly package too, so went ahead with it. I was signed up by 'some bloke' on a stand in Leeds. I asked him ON MORE THAN ONE OCCASSION if I would be able to use my own router and not have to install any sky software to which he told me it would not be any problem whatsoever. I went live yesterday only to find that I have to use sky's router so I can't use my belkin 'n' router, I therefore have crap wireless connections to my other pc's and devices in my house. I was on the phone to sky last night and was told that they were very sorry but if I wanted I could cancel my sky broadband! GREAT I would then have to start searching for another ISP too. I've read and researched the threads on getting my password from the sky router but I reckon the best way all round is to connect my belkin router to the sky one, that and pay a visit to Leeds and give some crap salesman severe hard time!

Just needed to get that off my chest!

Rich

2. Advertisement
      spider.gb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sorry to trouble you but how do i get a message on this site to find some help on a question i wont to know many thanks

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Post a thread? If you go to
      Sky Broadband help - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!
      and click on the blue "New Thread" button

you can create your own thread and people can post to help you with the issue.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Migrant View Post
      It a pity you did find these site first or looked into the router question before hand as personally I would never trust the word of a streets salesman and more than likely they will tell you what you want to hear to get a sale as you have found out.

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Rich
      Hi and welcome to this little corner of the world I would echo Alan B's comments above re salesthings, Arfur Daley's the lot of 'em.

It is true that you should not use a non-Sky router on their network, and your contract says so. That said, many do. But the long-term may prove to be not so good using your own router. It all depends on what Sky want to use it for in terms of selling you other product.

The solution to Wireless on the Sky router is not to use it - as you've already done - and to hang your fave 802.11n or whatever off of one of the ethernet ports of the Sky router. Okay, its another box, but in all likelihood it does exactly what you want, and you're using the Sky router as if it were a cable modem or suchlike. Nothing wrong with that really.

I am doing exactly the same thing here - I have an Airport Extreme Base Station serving a HDD to my LAN, 802.11n and gigabit wired ports between all my kit, a mixture of Mac and PC. None of that is available at the Sky router but it does its job of delivering the WAN to me perfectly.

I reckon you should visit the salesman and put him straight too, and if he's not of a mind to listen suggest to him that your next action would be to drop Sky Marketing a letter.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

sky_hillbilly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01974
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I went live yesterday only to find that I have to use sky's router so I can't use my belkin 'n' router, I therefore have crap wireless connections to my other pc's and devices in my house.
      I hope I'm not wrong here, would hate to get flamed , but can you not simply piggy-back your n-router into one of the ports on your sky router and turn off the wireless on your sky router, then use the wireless capability of your n-router? I do something like this with my Zoom. I bought a Netgear MIMO wireless router [802.11a, b & g] and connected it into my Zoom router [into one of the network ports] via the ADSL uplink port on the Netgear and bingo, I have a wide ranging wireless connection on channel 6 at 108Mbps. [And four more spare network ports should I need them]

Having typed all this out just went to post it and saw Netgeezer says the same thing, DOH

I'm not with Sky [I am with BT - more pricey but more reliable too] so I don't know if it will actually work with their router, but I can see no reason why it shouldn't, after all it is just another piece of network gear and one can theoretically add switches all over the place to increase the size of the network. I have the Netgear in one port of the Zoom and an 8 port switch in another port providing me with a wired connection in every room in my house and a damn fine wireless network too, which is accessible all over my 3 story house through thick stone walls.

It works for me and having read a lot of complaints about the Sky router having a bad wireless range I am surprised nobody has suggested this before.

Another thing with wireless networks is the amount of things that can interfere with them: everything on 2.4GHz - wireless doorbells, baby monitors, TV senders, mobile phones, cordless phones, burglar alarms, and of course microwaves, the list goes on, and the wireless router interferes with them too [my girlfriend gets horrid lines and clicks on her bedroom TV when the wireless router is on].

Having said that I would strongly recommend everyone to invest a relatively small amount of money, time and labour into completely wiring up their home with a wired network. It just means the initial outlay of a network switch capable of supplying all the rooms [an 8 port with an uplink should suffice in most cases], 8 network sockets and boxes and enough cat5e cable to do the job, and I would suggest that the proper tools to do the wiring job be purchased [crimper for the RJ45 plugs and insertion tool for the sockets]. You can even buy various lengths of network patch cables [up to 30 metres] from ebay for little money [and they already have RJ45 connectors on each end] which can be cut in two to give you the cables. The total cost for the cabling and sockets would be about 40-50, tools 10+ and the 8 port switch is variable. You could even use a couple of 5 port switches, one for each floor to save on riser cabling. Details of wiring up the various fittings are available all over the internet. And of course you'll need to lift a floorboard or two.

Wireless is all very well [when it works] but for reliability, security and speed you just cannot beat a wired network. Even with 108mbps wireless the actual throughput of data is far below that being in the region of 10-30mbps, and the mid range wired connection gives you up to 100mbps. If you want a faster network and can afford the better components then there is gigabit stuff out there which gives you up to 1000mbps.
      Last edited by sky_hillbilly; 28-05-08 at 09:54 AM.

malc-c is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sky_hillbilly View Post
      Another thing with wireless networks is the amount of things that can interfere with them: everything on 2.4GHz - wireless doorbells, baby monitors, TV senders, mobile phones, cordless phones, burglar alarms, and of course microwaves, the list goes on,
      Not to mention that a lot of RC gear also uses the 2.4Ghz frequency. A mate of mine found he could knock out his wirless connection everytime he turned on one of the cheap 2.4ghz transmitters that came bundled with a model helicopter manufactured in the far east

I quite agree that whilst wireless connectivity has an advantage when used for things like sitting in your garden with a laptop or PDA, but if you have static PC's in each room then CAT5e is the way to go. With D-link and Netgear offering gigabit switches (5 - 8 ports) for around 35, and 15 for a suitable PCI NIC card you can install a network in a typical 3 beddrommed house for around 100 - 125, or half that if you opt for a 10/100 netwrork.

I must admit that I'm concerned about this "fair usage" and being cut off. I'm still waiting for activation, but currently with Virgin 4MB package. We have 4 PC's in the house all networked, and it's not un-common for one to be streaming video from youtube, two playing online games, and the 4th downloading music / video from P2P or such like sites... Hopefully the 16MB package I've signed up for from Sky will still allow this sort of activities in the evenings ?

Malcolm

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malc-c View Post
      Sky will still allow this sort of activities in the evenings ?

Malcolm
      at the moment there are no reported issues with any usage amount (going over FUP) or any throttling

P.S i been to tingrith fishing, and caught a nich tench , if you can travel there is a good place next to thorpe park (cannot remember the name at the mo),

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

malc-c wrote
      Hopefully the 16MB package I've signed up for from Sky will still allow this sort of activities in the evenings ?
      Did you get an indication of what your actual speed will be? The 16Mb quoted is an 'Up To' figure and covers everything from next to nothing up to 16Mb. If you do not live fairly close to the exchange you are very unlikely to get the maximum speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

malc-c is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      at the moment there are no reported issues with any usage amount (going over FUP) or any throttling

P.S i been to tingrith fishing, and caught a nich tench , if you can travel there is a good place next to thorpe park (cannot remember the name at the mo),
      Yeah, been to Tingrith, Just off M1 J12 if I remember, nice lakes. We went to Thorp Lea on thursday, caught diddly squat which was strange as everyone was saying that normally catches of around a dozen carp all in doubles are the norm, but the lake was quiet. Mate stayed overnight and caught a 19 pounder at 3 am !

Getting back on topic... thanks for the info. We're not heavy users (guy round the corner downloads movies on regular basis so we can't be near his usage, and he's still connected to NTL !

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast