Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Used another router sky cut me off :/

This is a discussion on Used another router sky cut me off :/ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; They do not have to supply their customers with any such tool. It is up to the user to control ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Used another router sky cut me off :/

They do not have to supply their customers with any such tool. It is up to the user to control their usage however they see fit.
      So how does a family with say 4 or 5 PCs and a couple of games consoles do this? Can you recommend a utility which will monitor the internet usage of such a household? The only way to do this accurately, is through the router and none of the utilities I have found are compatible with the Sky routers.

What you must remember is that the Sky service is aimed at domestic users, many of whom do not understand what bandwidth is, never mind control it. Sky should have an easy to use bandwidth meter, such as that supplied by Plusnet and other ISPs. So to answer another question, yes I would prefer Sky to use 'hard' metering.

At the moment one or two 'internet downloaders' do not make much impact, but as others' usage rises it eventually will. Why should I suffer because some 14 year old kid feels he has to constantly run P2P and torrents, downloading just for the sake of it. Bandwidth limits should be strictly applied or Sky will attract every super heavy downloader in the country, to the detriment of normal users.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I get 20mbps service and pay 37 a month for this service and i still have watch my usage as virgin have the exact same policy as sky but virgin are more strict they have said that if you go over the llimit in the policy they will drop your connection right down:

part of the virgin fup:

Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till 9pm) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed - their download speed will be set to 5Mb, with their upload speed set to 192Kb. This will last for 5 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied

so that means that if i was to go over the data usage once that would mean that i could face losing 15mbps for 5 hours every day even though i am paying 37 so that is why i think skys policy is quite fair as you only pay 10 max and when they turn the connection off they put it back on at the same speed and give you another chance but virgin they don't give you another chance.They cut your speed for 5 hours everyday and that is permanent until you leave them.

so you may hope that sky don't implement this kind of policy.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Are you sure about that? I read Virgin's FUP and that doesn't tally with what you wrote. Specifically, you used the word "permanent" when Virgin describes their traffic management as "temporary". So if today between 4pm and 6pm you download 3GB of data, your speed would be dropped between 6pm and 11pm, but after that you're back to full speed unless you exceed the peak-time limit again tomorrow.

Thanks

Anyone accepting a permanent reduction in speed for once exceeding the limit needs their head examined I would certainly not stay with a company that enforced such draconian conditions.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Virgin's policy of traffic shaping is not permanent - it is entirely statistical, based upon your own usage between 4pm and 9pm (their derived peak period). Once you hit 3GB of data they throttle your bandwidth down to varying levels, depending upon which package you are on. Their 20Mbps (37pm) customers get shaped down to 1Mbps until 9pm after which the throttle is removed and you're back to full 20Mbps. To be absolutely clear, Virgin only start the clock at 4pm - but 3GB is easy enough to hit with BitTorrent running on a couple of machines.

@Isitme - The Sky answer to your posed question is simple - Sky Max if you are an LLU customer. If you are a Sky Connect customer then you do have a download limit and there is nothing much you can do about that. You said it yourself, Sky's packages are aimed at domestic users. Anyone wanting a bit more can always approach Easynet (a Sky company) and get all the data they like - and SDSL if really keen. But I see that you are on Mid and therefore you made a conscious choice to buy into an 8GB data cap, very loosely enforced by Sky I must add. The first you should see will be a letter from Sky telling you that you have gone over and to moderate your use going forward. If you cannot, or are unwilling to, the next option is clear - upgrade to Max and never be bothered with another such letter from Sky again. It really is as simple as that, and all for 5 a month which is less than 1-1/2 pints of your favourite tipple.

Sky's T&Cs and the way in which they "enforce" them are really one of the most liberal in the land. Of course the wording is stern, that is what all contracts read like. And of course Sky could at any time hold you to them to the letter. But unless you are one of those in that top 3% of all users who are accountable for 95% of the network usage you really do not have anything to worry about.

Oh, and they'll take care of that "...14 year old kid feels he has to constantly run P2P and torrents, downloading just for the sake of it ....". Even if he's on Max, if Sky's network monitoring is anything like its competitions it will know Sonny Jim exists.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Thanks

But I see that you are on Mid and therefore you made a conscious choice to buy into an 8GB data cap, very loosely enforced by Sky I must add
      Funny, I got the impression that you worked for Sky, but this says you don't. You also haven't read the T & Cs very well either. Sky Mid has a download limit of 40Gbs, not 8. I do not think I would benefit speed-wise on Max and 40 Gb is more than enough, in fact I don't think I used that much in 2 years with Plusnet on ADSLMax. Using Sky AnytimePC and BBC iPlayer mean I download a bit more now, but I don't think I have used a quarter of my allowance in any month with Sky.

I don't quite know what question of mine you were answering, I asked about monitoring bandwidth with the router, not what package I should be on.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Eeek! You're right about the 40GB, my mishtake, and I haven't been imbibing tonight either! I dont know why you thought what you did, I don't normally do impressions

My comments to you were in reference to your apparent annoyance that Sky didn't supply you with a bandwidth utilisation monitor in the router (does anyone?). I guess you gave me the impression that you feared going over, or actually did. but if you don't [go over] then I quite wonder why the point about a monitor in the first place. To those who do [go over], simply sign up for Sky Max if its available and be done with - all you can eat for a tenner, can't be bad. But you say 40GB is plenty enough for you, which is great, surely?

Your question about monitoring bandwidth then led on to package of which Max would be my suggested solution to anyone asking, which you appeared to be doing, n'est pas?

Hmmmm, I'm sorry, it looks like I'm picking on you Honest, I'm not, but you are raising some rather interesting questions that I'm finding hard to resist
      [Albert Einstein]

Thanks

One of my main points is why can't Sky supply an online bandwidth monitor similar to Plusnet? Then there would be no excuse for anyone going over their budget

I don't feel 'picked on' honest well only by the guy with the black hat and long leather coat who keeps following me around.

TomD

Useful Utilites

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If you would read the virgin fup properly it says that they will reduce the speed every peak time if you go over this limit not just one so that means that it is permanent in the sense that everyday they will reduce your speed during peak times to make sure that you do not do the downloading and uploading that you usually do and slow other peoples connection down.

Their 20Mbps (37pm) customers get shaped down to 1Mbps until 9pm after which the throttle is removed and you're back to full 20Mbps. To be absolutely clear, Virgin only start the clock at 4pm posted by netgeezer.

This statement is not correct as the speed gets capped at 5mbps for xl users.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Please attribute correctly, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jonny1310 View Post
      If you would read the virgin fup properly it says that they will reduce the speed every peak time if you go over this limit not just one so that means that it is permanent in the sense that everyday they will reduce your speed during peak times to make sure that you do not do the downloading and uploading that you usually do and slow other peoples connection down.
      I did not say that bit, someone else did .... However ....... The Virgin Media cap on your data speed is indeed temporary only on each occasion that you bust the 3GB cap during the period 4pm to 9pm, after which they restore you to full speed. They do not thereafter cap you between 4pm and 9pm permanently. I have been capped several times and the following day everything is back to normal so long as my usage does not hit the cap again in that time period.

To be absolutely clear - the following is culled from Virgin Media's Traffic Management pages ...
      Quote Originally Posted by Virgin Media
      Broadband Size: XL
      During peak times, the top 3% of downloaders on the Size: XL package download at least 3GB of traffic each, with the top 3% of uploaders uploading at least 1250MB of traffic each.

Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till 9pm) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed - their download speed will be set to 5Mb, with their upload speed set to 192Kb. This will last for 5 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied.

Even if a Broadband Size: XL user has their speed temporarily traffic managed, they can still download over 25,000 music files per day.

Source URL: Traffic management

Quote Originally Posted by me
      Their 20Mbps (37pm) customers get shaped down to 1Mbps until 9pm after which the throttle is removed and you're back to full 20Mbps. To be absolutely clear, Virgin only start the clock at 4pm posted by netgeezer.

This statement is not correct as the speed gets capped at 5mbps for xl users.
      I stand corrected - I'm obviously not having a good day with these speed quotes ... thats the second one I got wrong today
      [Albert Einstein]

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast