Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Used another router sky cut me off :/

This is a discussion on Used another router sky cut me off :/ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hmmm Sky want to be in the top 3 ISP's and get 3 million customers by 2010. If they suddenly ...

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Used another router sky cut me off :/

Hmmm Sky want to be in the top 3 ISP's and get 3 million customers by 2010.
      If they suddenly start cutting people off with no real excuse that's not good publicity for them and a lot of people could be really put off with things like that.

2. Advertisement
      scoop is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEBDT
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: DGND3700 V2
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sorry if its already been posted somewhere before, but what is the big deal about sky not wanting you to use another router on there system???

To me it dont make much sense, you pay 30 to join which they give you a router, Why??? Whats the differnce with still paying the 30 but using your own equipment?? Sure someone will give answers, maybe a snotty one too!! (Im not trying to be funny honestly) U know who you are!!

Kind Regards
      Scoop

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

That's the whole issue here, BT and other ISP's I have been with all say the same thing that if you use your own equipment they won't support it, fair enough.

It has been discussed elsewhere that in fact Sky is breaking EU law by forcing you to use their equipment but Ofcom seems lacklustre in pursuing this.

I would love to use my Belkin router, unlike the v1 router it can actually track the noise ratio automatically and reset it and so I could squeeze 2-3 meg/sec out of this connection during the day without having to worry about the constant disconnects that would bring.

scoop is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEBDT
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: DGND3700 V2
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      That's the whole issue here, BT and other ISP's I have been with all say the same thing that if you use your own equipment they won't support it, fair enough.

It has been discussed elsewhere that in fact Sky is breaking EU law by forcing you to use their equipment but Ofcom seems lacklustre in pursuing this.

I would love to use my Belkin router, unlike the v1 router it can actually track the noise ratio automatically and reset it and so I could squeeze 2-3 meg/sec out of this connection during the day without having to worry about the constant disconnects that would bring.

Seems very unfair me thinks, still we have no choice really do we!

regards
      Scoop

gilbert is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The Empire strikes back ?

...if they disconnect people based on an illegal stipulation, then they surely open themselves up to a law suit......I hope they pick on a lawyer

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scoop View Post
      Sorry if its already been posted somewhere before, but what is the big deal about sky not wanting you to use another router on there system???

To me it dont make much sense, you pay 30 to join which they give you a router, Why??? Whats the differnce with still paying the 30 but using your own equipment?? Sure someone will give answers, maybe a snotty one too!! (Im not trying to be funny honestly) U know who you are!!
      Sky's objective is to start a Television over Internet (IPTV) service. In order to implement such a service, they need certain features which aren't always found in off-the-shelf routers. Some features can be found on higher-spec routers, such as Quality of Service (QoS) where one stream of data can be prioritised over another, and Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) which allows a single stream of data to be "broadcast" simultaneously to large number of different computers. Other features, such having a dedicated ATM circuit devoted to IPTV, I've never seen on any domestic router.

The problem from Sky's perspective is that every customer who decides to use a non-Sky router, is a customer who they can't sell things like Video-on-Demand to.

Stefan_Tapp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woolston
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It seems odd to me that Sky send out the Sagem with sky1.5 firmware, but on the CD provided is a facility to run a firmware upgrade program that actually goes back to 1.1.

Isn't it perfectly plausible that someone could accidentally 'downgrade' their firmware and not get it back to 1.5?

Stef

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Yup, it's pretty poor. Sky never seem to tell customers to use the recovery utility, but they don't tell them not to either, so I can imagine people having some kind of problem and rather than phoning Sky, they try to fix it themselves first, including reflashing the router with the firmware that's on the CD.

And both the Netgear V2 and the Sagem router come with newer firmware than on the CD. It seems to suggest that Sky put the CD into production at too early a stage.

Stefan_Tapp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woolston
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

We'll look forward to your release of 1.5 then!

Stef

click07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi guy i think you guys got the wrong idea from the last post, my account's broadband was frozen because the system generated the wrong error code and in turn said i had been using another router, first time i called it was low level support who just said that's it basically. After 50 mins of saying my router was faulty and that's why i did it, a high end tech guy very helpful told me the system had been updated and generated the wrong error code., i was a bit sceptical how would he no it generated the wrong code :/ I'm at my m8's house now brought my ps3 over and I'm gonna have some fun I'm finished for half term now in college yay, hopefully it will come back online during half term. Oh and i exceeded my bandwidth because i was running a css server, mail and web sever and stressing them for a project at college. But i forgot about the fare usage

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast