Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Used another router sky cut me off :/

This is a discussion on Used another router sky cut me off :/ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ^^^^^^^ The OP wrote and then went back to the sagem because i soar no benefits from using the none ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Used another router sky cut me off :/

^^^^^^^
      The OP wrote
      and then went back to the sagem because i soar no benefits from using the none sky router. A couple of days later my net stopped working i gave sky a call and they said i had broken the agreement by using another router
      AND
      apparently i had exceeded my maximum fare usage,
      This raises another point, being cut off without warning for exceeding bandwidth. This is the first reported instance if it is correct.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by click07 View Post
      I flashed my sagem router ...
      Perhaps this is the problem! They did claim that the V2's were uncrackable and may be starting to implement the T & C's more rigorously with the V2 routers.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^^^^^^^
      No it seems he was kicked off for exceeding his bandwidth limit.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I don't believe that. I think that was the only reason they could get in their system but the real reason was the router.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Yes, I can't help but think James67's brilliant efforts must have ruffled a few feathers somewhere!

djkemp1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

what broadband package was or is he on, was it the connect package??

i still can't see that they will terminate people for using their own equipment a lot of people would have paid out quite a bit on routers etc and also people on sky max are paying 10 a month plus a lot will have the full sky package so 40 - 50 a month, would they seriously jeopodise losing all that money a month/year by cutting off people for using their own routers because the sky routers just aren't good enough for a number of people and those people cancelling sky altogether??

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      No it seems he was kicked off for exceeding his bandwidth limit.
      Hmmm. First to post that he'd been kicked off for using a non Sky router which then becomes the first person to be kicked off for exceeding the "fair usage policy". One and a half million customers and they pick on him twice for two different things that they've never taken action on before? What are the odds on that?

Of course if they do decide to start checking router details then they have to start with one person - but just one? Surely with our thousands of members (who are far more likely to be using another router) there would be another post or two? Ah, but it's not about the router - it's about usage. How much could he have used? I've seen members post that they regularly download hundreds of gigs a month.

And why kick someone off for exceeding usage? Without a warning? That seems unlikely. To quote Sky:

If you exceed your Usage Cap, we will contact you by email to let you know that you have done so.
      If your usage continues to exceed your Usage Cap, we will continue to contact you by email to ask you to reduce your usage immediately. If after a reasonable period of time your usage still exceeds your Usage Cap, then we may do one or more of the following things by notice in writing:
      (a) charge you fair and reasonable costs for your usage (and any reasonable administration costs) in excess of your Usage Cap;
      (b) change your subscription to a Product with a higher Usage Cap, in which case we would also notify you of the new price you will be charged;
      (c) suspend your use of Sky Broadband for the relevant month; or
      (d) end your Contract in accordance with Condition 11 of your Contract.

Call me a cynic but I think there's more to this than we've heard so far. In the absence of further details I'm remaining sceptical.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

There are plenty waiting to join. 10 a month buys a hell of a lot of internet.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If he used the flashing technique to get the Sagem username and password, he'll have ended up with the 1.1sky firmware on his router, rather than the 1.5sky firmware. I couldn't see much difference between the two, but it's possible that there's some kind of flaw in the 1.1sky firmware which gets flagged up in a way which attracts the attention of the network wallahs at Easynet. So if he'd carried on using his Linksys, he'd have been at less risk of being detected than he was going back to the Sagem.

That gives a possible explanation as to why he's the only one - other people who reflashed their Sagem router are actually using a non-Sky router. Also Sky Customer Support and Technical Support are renowned for presenting hypothesis as fact - "Hmm, the system's saying the account was suspended for router abuse, but I know that doesn't happen, so I'll tell him it was actually because of usage. That seems more like a more probable cause." I'm convinced that the number 1 reason why Sky Customer Support give you conflicting information is because basically they're just guessing.

Anyway, I've got another Sagem on the way which I'm hoping to extract a 1.5sky firmware image from. I've managed to identify the console connectors on the Sagem board, so assuming they haven't disabled the CFE CLI, I'll be able to dump the flash and create an image that people can use to get their Sagems back up to regulation 1.5sky firmware.

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Hmmm. First to post that he'd been kicked off for using a non Sky router which then becomes the first person to be kicked off for exceeding the "fair usage policy". One and a half million customers and they pick on him twice for two different things that they've never taken action on before? What are the odds on that?

Of course if they do decide to start checking router details then they have to start with one person - but just one? Surely with our thousands of members (who are far more likely to be using another router) there would be another post or two? Ah, but it's not about the router - it's about usage. How much could he have used? I've seen members post that they regularly download hundreds of gigs a month.

And why kick someone off for exceeding usage? Without a warning? That seems unlikely. To quote Sky:

If you exceed your Usage Cap, we will contact you by email to let you know that you have done so.
      If your usage continues to exceed your Usage Cap, we will continue to contact you by email to ask you to reduce your usage immediately. If after a reasonable period of time your usage still exceeds your Usage Cap, then we may do one or more of the following things by notice in writing:
      (a) charge you fair and reasonable costs for your usage (and any reasonable administration costs) in excess of your Usage Cap;
      (b) change your subscription to a Product with a higher Usage Cap, in which case we would also notify you of the new price you will be charged;
      (c) suspend your use of Sky Broadband for the relevant month; or
      (d) end your Contract in accordance with Condition 11 of your Contract.

Call me a cynic but I think there's more to this than we've heard so far. In the absence of further details I'm remaining sceptical.
      I think we defiantly need some more details. Sky regularly look at this site and know a) lost of people are using their own routers and b) going over the limit why pick on one user. Why are we not getting lots of posts telling us the same thing!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast