Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Used another router sky cut me off :/

This is a discussion on Used another router sky cut me off :/ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You have obviously not read enough, there are a great many here using a 2nd router plugged into the Sky ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Used another router sky cut me off :/

You have obviously not read enough, there are a great many here using a 2nd router plugged into the Sky one.
      I don't know why you would want to use a cable router with an ADSL connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      buffy500 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01329
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You have obviously not read enough, there are a great many here using a 2nd router plugged into the Sky one.
      I don't know why you would want to use a cable router with an ADSL connection.
      I was a VM customer recently moved to Sky.
      My Netgear has died within 2 months, it is producing no wireless output.

I bought a new Netgear which worked for 2 days, and then would not connect.
      I do have my faithful old wireless router that I used with VM.

In theory, could I just plug an ethernet cable to it from the Sky router and then use that as my router & Wireless ?

************************************************** **************************************

Disregard.

I think that changing the wireless channel appears to have fixed it

Why didn't support suggest this ? Surely its a good try.

*Although still interested on the Cable router option out of interest*
      ************************************************** **************************************
      Last edited by buffy500; 22-10-08 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Fixed my own problem

Thanks

Although still interested on the Cable router option out of interest
      Have a look at this thread for some guidance. -
      can i connect a cable router with sky broadband?????

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mikester96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Smile Re: Used another router sky cut me off :/

Ive been using a buffalo wbmr-g54 for about a month now and have had no problems what so ever, i used james method on another page to get my adsl logins, so my old sagem f@st 2504 is sitting in its box.

Urumiko is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ashington
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Sky's objective is to start a Television over Internet (IPTV) service. In order to implement such a service, they need certain features which aren't always found in off-the-shelf routers. Some features can be found on higher-spec routers, such as Quality of Service (QoS) where one stream of data can be prioritised over another, and Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) which allows a single stream of data to be "broadcast" simultaneously to large number of different computers. Other features, such having a dedicated ATM circuit devoted to IPTV, I've never seen on any domestic router.

The problem from Sky's perspective is that every customer who decides to use a non-Sky router, is a customer who they can't sell things like Video-on-Demand to.
      Yeah. they still have a really bad stance though. I used to work for bt vision which is IPTV (a rather bad implementation of it anyway), we used to tell people that there vision service wouldnt work without a home hub but its just not true, any router with qos, or at least a reasonable connection speed is fine. Ultimatley though we quite happily let people use their own routers we just refused point blank to give em any tech support. which is fair enough really.

I really dont see why they would go to such length to stop people, id quite happily sign a disclamer saying i understand i may not get ip tv if i dont use skys router. they couldnt sell it to me anyway, my connection is too slow.

maaan i really wish i could get BE broadband in this house. They had a recommended list of third party routers they would support and step by step guides on manually doing all kinds of crazy stuff with your connection/router

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

well i must say ive never heard this happening first time i guess and yet sky admit there routers are crap so why did they supply the buggers in the first place i mean wtf

Thanks

yet sky admit there routers are crap
      I doubt if Sky admit that. There is nothing wrong with the routers, the DG834GT is still sold retail and also the DG834gv3, which is what the DG934G is basically. The Sagem is also a decent router using the standard firmware. The new Dlink 2640 is also a very popular router in its standard form. All of them are somewhat crippled by the Sky firmware, that is the main problem. If Sky were to offer N routers with the same restricted firmware for say, 60. I wonder how many would take the offer up? Very few I think, most are happy with what they have.

TomD

Useful Utilites

sprk001 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01344
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      at the moment there are no reported issues with any usage amount (going over FUP) or any throttling

P.S i been to tingrith fishing, and caught a nich tench , if you can travel there is a good place next to thorpe park (cannot remember the name at the mo),
      The lake is twynersh fishing complex,
      i must admit i have never used sky as an ISP but i have used this site for the same reason all you have commented, i was helping a friend out as he was unable to receive a wireless signal in the room below the sagem router! NOT GOOD. he went out and brought a rangemax 150N router for 39.00 and i spent ages trying to connect it. after reading all the posts that you guys have put i advised my friend that its not worth the risk of changing the router so i purchased a Tenda AccessPoint and it has helped his signal 10x, i fitted the ceiling mounted Point to downstairs and he now gets a full signal all over the house.
      W301A 300Mbps Wireless Access Point-High Speed Wireless-N-Tenda

regards
      Last edited by sprk001; 19-12-10 at 01:31 AM.

GuitarJammin'76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scoop View Post
      Sorry if its already been posted somewhere before, but what is the big deal about sky not wanting you to use another router on there system???

To me it dont make much sense, you pay 30 to join which they give you a router, Why??? Whats the differnce with still paying the 30 but using your own equipment?? Sure someone will give answers, maybe a snotty one too!! (Im not trying to be funny honestly) U know who you are!!

Kind Regards
      Scoop
      Agreed 100%. It wouldn't matter if the router was actually good, but it isn't. It doesn't even support the latest security (WPA2) or use 'N' technology! For me, that's a much bigger issue - the security.
      Last edited by GuitarJammin'76; 09-01-11 at 08:12 PM.
      CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz
      GPU: AMD Radeon HD6850 1gb
      RAM: Corsair 4gb DDR2
      O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Rather than spamming every router-specific thread you could just stick to your own...you'll get an answer faster
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415