Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Used another router sky cut me off :/

This is a discussion on Used another router sky cut me off :/ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I don't think we have ever specifically asked about this issue though.........

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Used another router sky cut me off :/

I don't think we have ever specifically asked about this issue though......

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hmm,

Perhaps never specifically asked for it, but it has been brought up goodness knows how many times.

And I think this simply backs it up, dont you reckon?

Previous Stats
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Also, as far as discussion on the T&C's go, this is what James came back with after a prompt from myself about the forcing of routers.

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Ah yes, the Radio and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment Directive 1999/5/EC. Basically, the aim of the directive was to harmonise the various standards for equipment, but it also stipulates that service providers aren't allow to forbid the use of equipment if it meets those harmonised standards. This is to prevent, for example, BT telling people that they may only use a BT-branded telephone to connect to their telephone network.

I believe Sky's TV receivers are also illegal under European law. TV receivers which can decode encrypted TV signals are supposed to do the decoding on a Conditional Access Module (CAM), which is something that looks like a PCMCIA card, and into which you'd put your smartcard. But Sky don't want to do that, because it means that people would be able to put their Sky CAM into a different satellite receiver.

Have you ever wondered why Murdoch's newspapers are so anti-EU?
      I wonder if this directive exists and how applicable it is to this situation. Not that im wishing to rock the boat. Just want to help build up the points, questions and arguments
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

"Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky read a lot of threads on here, but comment to us directly, on very few though.

To the best of my knowledge we haven't specifically asked them to respond to the question, 'Can I use my own router on Sky Broadband'

Yes, the Gamers thread got the Max_Delays lowered for gamers, however the issue was never discussed directly or the decision relayed to us, that it was in fact feasible to lower them. Its a strange scenario, but after two years, as a site, we know what to expect off Sky. They just do it their own way.

Sky do a lot behind the scenes, sometimes we report issues and sometimes they ask us to contact members so Sky can rectify their issues. This has greatly increased over the last 6 months or so. However, if we ask the question direct, we know that whatever the answer is, it will be the companies stance, and not an individuals.

One thing Sky did do this week, on Monday was to confirm to us, that they had nothing to do whatsoever, with the copied content that we complained about last week, and that they were investigating the matter. But... We never for one minute thought, that they did have anything to do with it anyway.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 14-08-08 at 02:25 AM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HSNetwork View Post
      Also, as far as discussion on the T&C's go, this is what James came back with after a prompt from myself about the forcing of routers.

I wonder if this directive exists and how applicable it is to this situation. Not that im wishing to rock the boat. Just want to help build up the points, questions and arguments
      I don't think that we could use that argument. After all, if we didn't agree to the fact, that we had to use the Sky router, that has always been in the T and C's, we wouldn't have accepted them. Subsequently we would not be on Sky Broadband now.

Don't get me wrong, the issue don't bother me whatsoever, as my Sky routers have worked flawlessly for nearly two years. However, having the advantage of reading this site for the last two years, it clearly shows myself, that others have not been so lucky as me. These are the users, that we have accommodated for in the past to give them the ability to use their own routers, as we knew the original V1's were flawed, hence allowing the discussion of how to obtain the Username and Password's although we knew for a fact, it was seriously peeving Sky, or at least those people that let us know indirectly.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Actually I can fully understand the scenario.

again my place of work, once a decision is made its final. And then often than never a u-turn seconds before it goes live lol.

I just think sky would work just so much better if they said "Yup ok no problems, have it your way on the grounds that if you have a support issue relating to your connection or line you have our supplied router attached".

The only other annoyance is that CSC (ok its their job) make you go through everything as they read it off the screen, step by step. Even if you have already done it all twice over before calling them lol.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well as a final bid, before bed,

Compromise is always a good thing. If it stands to benefit both parties, even if in completely different contexts, then it is a subject that a compromise would work well in.

Anyway bed time for me. Workmen here tomorrow to finish the kitchen Only taken them 2 weeks <g>
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

UNLESS you use your own router from the off and so don't have a Sky router to go through TS and are stuck should it all go pear shaped...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well no not really as Sky send their routers out as default.

So there will be a sky router in any circumstance really. But if an option not to have a sky router exists, then support for those users needs to exist also as apposed to the option to then fork out over priced sums for a device a user didnt need just to speak to support.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

what i meant was if Sky stopped sending routers out...just playing devils advocate...

personally, i don't see the need to use other routers - ok there are those who have had issues resolved by using their own but surely a replacement would suffice?

either way, although it does make my life harder, i dont have an issue with it...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast