Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Used another router sky cut me off :/

This is a discussion on Used another router sky cut me off :/ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; sky are dum...

tanveer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01582
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Used another router sky cut me off :/

sky are dum
      how could you kill that has'NO' life?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Do you mean dumb ?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Again a very varied discussion. I remember this discussion back in Dec 07 lol.

Yep sky insist you use their router, and for me I havent a problem with this. Not unless their routers simply keep dropping the connection at complete random intervals all hours of the day. I couldnt even watch a 45 minute Doctor Who episode on BBCiPlayer without it dropping the connection.

In my situation however it was a little different as I explained everything to T1 and explained how I had my own personal router which I could use to test against and if working well use as a replacement. This delightful T1 guy supplied me with my username and password. All this 3 days into my service (Dec 07). Since this time my own router has never dropped the connection, other than when problems occurred in the exchange with Sky's equipment (twice to date).

For me, being given the username and password by Sky voluntarily is as good as a given go ahead for me to use my own equipment.

Im now getting over 6Mb, and I am sure the netgear would have been stable if it had been limited to about 2mb, but why should I make do with a limited 2mb when my own equipment does the job their equipment was intended to do but better?

As newsreader already said, I believe that a compromise should be reached with sky on this point
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

^ but does that employee still work for Sky? he completely broke protocol and will more than likely be punished for it...

plus, it can now be found out if you're using a non-Sky router...so watch out!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks
      Blog Entries

to my knowledge both T2 and T3 are aware of this already as I have never denied its existance. But I have always made it clear as to why it is in place. It is being used so I can use the internet (thats the reason I got it I am pretty sure) for what it is intended. Surfing, chatting, streaming media etc.
      As mentioned the sky supplied router permitted me to do about 5% of this (browsing being the best due to the page not shutting down when being disconnected). My own router fixed the problem, so my arguement is, whats wrong with it? Ive not used any of Sky's time for issues other than to confirm that the exchange was down and what the estimated fix time would be (which would still happen with sky's router).

I personally dont mind cancelling all of sky's services if it were to come down to it. Freesat is good enough for me, and we have Be in the area which would allow me to use my own equipment on LLU, which once added together would cost me less than im currently paying on sky.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

"Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

plus, it can now be found out if you're using a non-Sky router...so watch out!!
      We have a telephone conversation with Sky planned hopefully this week to discuss developments as well as to speak to someone who is returning to Sky after maternity leave. This person was our main contact at Sky and has never really shyed away from anything we have ever thrown at them in the past.

Therefore I think we should discuss the issue of non Sky routers, and I will endeavour to respond to this thread with any answers this person may give me.

Personally, I don't see the harm, and as long as it is clear that you must be using the Sky router in the event of requesting support, I don't see why Sky should cut their nose off to spite their face.

I would almost guarantee, that those of us who use their own routers, are not n00bs, and would definitely have a clue on how to get the best from our connection already. No offence meant to any other broadband user.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 14-08-08 at 12:15 AM. Reason: grammar because of Archers

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Newsreader,

Im sure non will be taken. That is good news though, and hopefully some good will come from it, and perhaps levae those of us in the know a bit more at ease.

Shame my place of work will never be co-operative lol. Running and IT dept with no budget is impossible lol. All I want is a 4mb leased line instead of the ADSL Max. (would have it at home if I were rich enough).
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Shame my place of work will never be co-operative lol. Running and IT dept with no budget is impossible lol. All I want is a 4mb leased line instead of the ADSL Max. (would have it at home if I were rich enough).
      To be fair to Sky, we have levelled a lot of questions to them over the last two years, and they have hardly ever turned a blind eye.

In fact we got the BPI news covered in a phone call within a day of emailing them, that was from a person in the know and he wasn't afraid to tell us what we asked. Although obviously we couldn't print everything, therefore we asked for a statement that Sky were happy to have in the public domain. Which we then posted.

The biggest problem with Sky is what we said years ago, communication. To get an answer off one person, takes about 30 other steps to go through, so it is clear that, that is indeed the official answer. In other words, the same as any other huge company.

Sky do give out information to us, its just a slow process.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Iv'e always been happy with the Sagem v2 router, but as we have been having a lot of storms here in the flat lands of Norfolk, I decided to fire up my Speedtouch 546v6 just to check that all was o.k in case the sagem got zapped. I sync at full wack, but the speedtouch has a greater noise margin which only varies over 1.5dB in 24 hours. I'll leave it on for a week or so and have a good poke about with the DMT tool as well

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Non seem to have come slower though than the issue of personal routers dont you think? I mean weve been waiting for the whole 9 months ive been here. And then some time before that if I remember rightly...
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast