Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Used another router sky cut me off :/

This is a discussion on Used another router sky cut me off :/ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; They're not cheap but you really do get what you pay for. My parents are with Virgin. It must have ...

barryfrom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Used another router sky cut me off :/

They're not cheap but you really do get what you pay for. My parents are with Virgin. It must have gon edon eabout twice in a year. Both times they were immediately refunded the cost of that day and the speeds are great.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

that's firbre for you...i'd take it over dsl any day of the week
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

malc-c is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

NTL (sorry Virgin) isn't all that great... 4MB for 25, even when they get round to the free upgrade to 10MB its still expensive, and with a 30:1 ratio means you can still time out when surfing at peak periods. Mine often dropped out at 8pm most nights.

I came to sky as it represented the best value for money, 16MB for just 10 (had sky tv for around 12 years now), and I'm lucky enough to live 300 mts from the exchange so i get the 16MB I'm paying for, and so far I've not had a drop out since installation a week ago
      Cheers

Malcolm
      www.micro-heli.co.uk

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

that's it though, I don't care about cost - I'd pay for a better connection but don't have the option...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

barryfrom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malc-c View Post
      NTL (sorry Virgin) isn't all that great... 4MB for 25, even when they get round to the free upgrade to 10MB its still expensive, and with a 30:1 ratio means you can still time out when surfing at peak periods. Mine often dropped out at 8pm most nights.

I came to sky as it represented the best value for money, 16MB for just 10 (had sky tv for around 12 years now), and I'm lucky enough to live 300 mts from the exchange so i get the 16MB I'm paying for, and so far I've not had a drop out since installation a week ago

I was with Virgin for about 5 years and in that time it must have dropped out a maximum of about 5 times. Once a year is pretty good in comparison to Sky. It is mroe expensive, but for a reason. It's much, much higher quality. It's like comparing a Lamborghini and a Skoda.

malc-c is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barryfrom View Post
      It is mroe expensive, but for a reason. It's much, much higher quality.
      Sorry have to dissagree. It's expensive because they hold the monopoly to their network. I wonder how Virgin would fair if the powers that be made them open up the cable network to other companies in the same way BT had to.
      Cheers

Malcolm
      www.micro-heli.co.uk

nmcc89 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ivybridge
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malc-c View Post
      ...I wonder how Virgin would fair if the powers that be made them open up the cable network to other companies in the same way BT had to.
      I think that's a fair point. I personally have had no problems since we switched to sky, regularly enjoying 6500kb/s on the mid package. The tv, phone and broadband for 25-30 a month is a brilliant deal, considering what you're getting for it. And anyway would you want to be with an isp who sells your browsing to advertising companies (like Virgin)? I think not!

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      that's it though, I don't care about cost - I'd pay for a better connection but don't have the option...
      Virgin [Telewest/Blueyonder] is most definitely not fibre to the door. It is fibre to street cabinets and then copper co-axial cable to the house, the cable is huge

But it is 37 a month for their 20Mbps service (and it really is 20Mbps give or take a few hundred bps).

It is not quite appropriate to compare Sky's ADSL2+ to Virgin's cable service though. These are two completely different transmission technologies, and with very different histories and capabilities. It would be correct to compare Sky with any other ADSL2+ provider for price and stability. Also, for the benefit of this thread, the various T&Cs and whether or not you are permitted to use your own router.

Some of the comments in this thread are, frankly, astonishing. To knowingly accept a set of T&Cs and to then complain about them makes no sense. And if you didn't know, then the next time you sign a contract make sure that you know what it is you are setting yourself up for.

The answer for those that don't like the notion of a mandatory Sky router surely is to not buy Sky, job done!
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

ezdub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I just wanted to add to this.

I have been happily using my old bt voyager 2100 router for the last 2 years without any issues. The reason it has a much better wifi strength than the netgear.

Now for the last week the speed has dropped from a good 7megs to just under 2megs.

I just figured it was an issue in my street as a lot more people have broadband now.

But today I plugged my original sky router in and what do you know back up to 7megs I plugged the old bt router back in and back down it went to 2megs.

So are sky now blocking non sky routers, I am not sure but it does make you think.

Oh well will have fibercity 100meg line as soon as it comes online. Just waiting for them to install the line up to the house. Cant wait.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

As you are on Connect I don't think Sky could block your router. Maybe on LLU, but I think if they were going to do anything it would be a complete shut down, not just restricting your speed. Could be your BT router is misbehaving.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast