Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Take the Plunge with Sky BB? or Stay With Pipex

This is a discussion on Take the Plunge with Sky BB? or Stay With Pipex within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I all, Great website guys! I registered with Sky BB & received an email last week with a BAND ref. ...

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Take the Plunge with Sky BB? or Stay With Pipex

I all,

Great website guys!

I registered with Sky BB & received an email last week with a BAND ref. number to join up.

Currently with Pipex. been with them for around 4 yrs now. Never had any issues or problems apart from when they upgrading their servers couple yrs back.
      My only gripe with is Price!
      I am currently paying 23.something for a 1Mbps connection. So having been a loyal customer to them for 4 yrs, you would think that would show some loyalty back.. but No!

So back to my question, Should take the plunge with the all New Blazing Sky Broadband OR wait another six months till Sky sort their teething problems.

Your options will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Roy.
      Leicester
      St. Barnabas Exchange

2. Advertisement
      Nutter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wink

As with any new service there are teething troubles and these seem to be down to BT and not sky.
      If your current BB is important to you then I would advise against chaning your ISP. However bere in mind that the problem BT are facing are not unique with sky, the same happen when Carphone Warehouse offered cheap broadband and Im sure more ISPs will be joining suit and BT will again face the problem they are in. However with more and more ISPs doing LLU, I dont think the problem will ever go away, until take up across the board has levelled off.
      On the reverse side is saving 13/month and chaning from a 1Mb service to something much faster worth the hassle ???
      Weigh the two options up and make a decision.
      If your patient and have a long fuse go for it.
      If you not patient and loose your temper quickly stay put !!
      There are 10 people who understand binary, Those that do and those that dont

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks for you feedback,
      though I will have to decide very soon (prob. this week).

The financial benefits are greater with SKY BB together with an increase in download speed.

The St. Baranabas Exchange in Leicester shows availablity speed of 3.5 to 4 Mbps to my house,

So if i opted for either Sky MAX(16Mbps) or MID(8Mbps), am I correct in saying I would only get speeds of 3.5 to 4 Mbps? regardless of what package I went for

Thanks

Roy.
      Leicester.
      St. Baranabas Exchange

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Roy

Please do register with us we don't bite honest and it will make life a lot easier for people to follow your posts thanks.

Thats a good bit of advice there Nutter and I would agree with it excpet for one thing, you do need to remember though the BAND No is only valid for 10 days and you will have to register all over again if you don't use it.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Nutter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      If your line can only handle 3.5 - 4Mbs then it dont matter what package you go for. HOWEVER there are a few extra differences on the packages.
      the MAX package has a greater upload speed.
      Ive gone the for the Max package as I host my own Web site,
      also better if you upload alot of data such as P2P etc.
      There is also no download cap on the MAX product. Wheres as the MID package has a 40Gb monthly limit, and 468Kbs upload
      Im going for max package, purly so I get more upload speed, more download speed and no imposed limits and im still saving 17/month over my ISP
      There are 10 people who understand binary, Those that do and those that dont

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      I was in exactly the same situation with Pipex - just got sick of being taken for granted as a customer - never offered an upgrade to faster speed or lower prices which are being given to new customers automatically so made the decision to leave.

My line stats are almost identical to you so went for the Mid Package - transfer to Sky was pretty straight forward with only a one week delay in activation. Now getting roughly 3 times the speed for one fifth of the cost!!!

Only extra cost you need to take into account is for a network adapter if you need one and for newsgroup access if you use them as Sky don't offer them in the package.

Believe it or not Customer Services with Sky at the moment are no worse than Pipex have been all along and I'm sure Sky will improve drastically once this initial stampede dies down a little.

It's a no brainer really - so make the change!!!

OhNoes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sidcup (LSSID)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      The mid/max packages will give you different speeds, depending on your attenuation/line distance. to see a "big" improvement your attenuation needs to be 40db or under. Once you go above 40db, the advantages of the max package in terms of speed starts to wither away. At 53db, the advantage is mostly lost.

If you can post your current attenuation/line distance/snr then we can get a better idea if it's worth it.

MD118 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      i have just got my mac code from pipex, im on the 1mb uncapped paying 23.99 p/m have been with them since 2001 and they wouldnt give me a deal or match skys offer....oh well their loss - the one thing with pipex is that i cant remember the last time they went down.....

although my exchange is not enabled for sky base/mid/max i think this wont be happening till xmas.,... i will go on the sky's 17.99 8meg so saving a about a fiver each month - as far as i know you get the same kit and software as the base/mid/max package and when my exchange is fully enabled sky will move to either of the packages...

tinx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham Carfax SDHRSHM
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I am in the process of leaving Pipex as well. I have already signe dup for SKy and have an activation date of this thursday whether it happens then or not I am not bothered. I am moving from 2Mb uncapped at 33.99 a month to the MAX. I already pay for usenet access on top anyway so I am saving 23.99 the speeds I should get will be higher than 2Mb at the very least so in my opinion its no lose situation really.

So far the proces shas been very smooth migrating. MAC from pipex took 1 day to arrive, registered with sky on the monday, received two letters last week with activation date and username info and router arrived on friday. So no complaints so far. I'll assess what happens with the actual migration befor epassing my final commant but so far so good.

My reasons for leaivng pipex, After over 4 years good service I had a problem two month ago which took pipex and BT over a month to resolve and the customer support service I received was terrible. 30 minute waits to get through terrible un helpful staff at the end of the line and no help what so ever.

With this in mind even if I have problems with Sky they will be no worse than pipex CS so it seeme dlike a no brainer to me.

sideswipe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by youravinalarrrf View Post
      I was in exactly the same situation with Pipex - just got sick of being taken for granted as a customer - never offered an upgrade to faster speed or lower prices which are being given to new customers automatically so made the decision to leave.

It's a no brainer really - so make the change!!!
      I am trying to switch from Pipex for those very same reasons, only thing is that after 140 minutes Sky's automated system hung up on me...
      Is there a quiet time to call Sky or are they just swamped and you have to waste an entire day to call them up to order. At this rate the band number will expire and it won't be for lack of trying.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast