Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Take the Plunge with Sky BB? or Stay With Pipex

This is a discussion on Take the Plunge with Sky BB? or Stay With Pipex within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I called mid morning last monday and got through in about 15 minutes...

tinx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham Carfax SDHRSHM
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I called mid morning last monday and got through in about 15 minutes

2. Advertisement
      smokie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

pipex

i was with pipex for six years was told for years couldnt have upgrade
      as my line can have only 1mb and that was 24 a month

moved to sky ok we have had problems but i now have a 5mb for 10
      a month so im quite happy to stick with it after all its early days yet

my advice go for it

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Just to point out one thing smokie on ISP Stream they were more than lightly correct as ISP Stream is kind of run with an iron fist by BT but LLU is a lot more lax about line length hence your 5MB, I think for anyone on a long line LLU is a good thing as long-liners will no longer feel left out.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thank you for all the feedback... its really great

Sorry guys, I will Register myself on this site next time I write again...

I think I will go for SKY BB.. better value in the end..

Mant Thanks

Roy.

Leicester
      St. Barnabas Exchange

Ronni is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Barnabas, EMSTBBS
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by OhNoes View Post
      The mid/max packages will give you different speeds, depending on your attenuation/line distance. to see a "big" improvement your attenuation needs to be 40db or under. Once you go above 40db, the advantages of the max package in terms of speed starts to wither away. At 53db, the advantage is mostly lost.

If you can post your current attenuation/line distance/snr then we can get a better idea if it's worth it.

How do I find the Attenuation / Line Distance / SNR ?

I have the Fujitu FDX 310 modem supplied by Pipex. Doesn't show much

I know I am 1.96 KM from the St. Barnabas Exchange

Thanks...

Roy

Leicester.
      St. Barnabas Exchange

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I doubt you will get them if it doesn't show you them, then you will not be able to get them until you get a router.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

OhNoes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sidcup (LSSID)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Double click the icon in the taskbar, and see if it has a "system information" window

fly4fun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Wow! All these fellow Pipex users jumping ship! Has the thought of the "Hoff" being the brand star made you wanna jump too? Or was it just down to Pipex being uncompetitive?

How many people here were offered last year (or was it longer) a "free" upgrade from their 512kb line to 1mb? I was offered it and after 8 months told my line wasn't suitable. When I checked a few months later, I found it was. I email Customer Services. What a load of rubbish answers I was emailed back on half a dozen occaisions. A lesson on how not to provide credible support. I asked for it to be escalated to a supervisor. He wrote back saying he would look at my case. I had to prompt him for an answer 10 days later!! They would not upgrade my line for free, but I could regrade to one of their new products. This new product excluded newsgroup access, so made it hardly worthwhile. I replied that their original offer had no time limit on it so they should honour it. Still waiting for a response to that one.....

When I rang and asked for my MAC code they asked if they could do deal. Even if they could I wouldn't want to. They were surprised when they said I was going to Sky as they didn't know it was active yet. Well, in some ways that's true as I'm still waiting past my original activation date. However it took them a month to activate my line all those years ago so they're not racehorses either.

Goodbye Pipex with your silly email account names and passwords. Goodbye to expensive tarrifs and customer support staff with the minds of goldfish. Hello Sky....

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Smile Sky or Pipex

I confirm what several posts say. After being loyal to Pipex since 2002 and no offer to reduce the 23.99 per month, I have migrated to Sky. MAC came in 1 day from Pipex. Using Sky Connect and saving costs each month. Details and kit arrived with no problem from Sky. Slight problems with McAfee, but now uninstalled and re-installed Norton. Apart from unavailability of Sky portal, I am up and running with no problems and very satisfied. Anticipate switching to Sky mid next year when available in my area. I say make the change.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Unregistered

Please do register with us we don't bite honest and it will make life a lot easier for people to follow your posts thanks.

Its nice to see yet another happy mover to SkyBB mind saying that as you are on the connect package all they needed to do was switch you for one ISP to another since its still ISP Stream ADSL Max and not LLU and with luck all the horror storeys that have been reported about switching to LLU should be well and truly fixed
      Ray

click here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast