Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

how do i know if i am on G.DMT or not ?

This is a discussion on how do i know if i am on G.DMT or not ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; That's right. Just to be clear. (1) any extension that is connected by a plug in device, including the faceplate ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: how do i know if i am on G.DMT or not ?

That's right.
      Just to be clear.

(1) any extension that is connected by a plug in device, including the faceplate of a NET-5 master, is your responsibilty.
      (2) any extension that is hard wired to the back of a master socket (this is the old type) must have been fitted by BT/Openreach as it is against BT's T&C's for the customer to touch this (I know I live in the real world) And is therefore BT responsibilty.

2. Advertisement
      worcesterman47 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: charles street 01905 724
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

BRIAN69, well, i think i will give it a go ...if it is that easy have you any idea where to buy the correct items ?..or even links...could you also tell me the EXACT full names of the two items i need ( so as staff in shops give me the correct items.. or if i have to phone for them ..once again many thanks in advance

Thanks

Right. First you need to get your master changed. If you are a DIYer and feel brave you could do this yourself and if you make a half decent job of it, BT will never know. If not, get Openreach in.

Next you need a Filter faceplate. In truth there is not much to choose between them, But the XTE-2005 from ADSL Nation are very good. You will also need an insertion tool to wire this, from the same supplier.

Can you leave your router at the master when you have compleated this? if you can, Very good, if not you may need an extension cable for it. With a faceplate filter fitted DSL sig will no longer be availible at your other extensions.

I think that NTE-5 master sockets are also avalible from ADSL Nation, but it will not have the Openreach logo, and they will say you are not supposed to change them, but as I say, it is very unlikely that BT would ever find out.
      Last edited by Brian69; 05-02-08 at 12:46 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Brian
      Will he not also need a line box as the existing one will not be compatible with the new type faceplate?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Worcesterman47.
      If you decide to bite the bullet and do the master yourself there are a couple of things you need to know before you start.
      (1) when you open your old master, make careful notes of the number and colour of wires, and where they are connected.
      (2) You will need to find the incoming line pair. This will be connected to 5 and 2 of the master. If you disconnect these then all your phones should stop working(no dial tone) If they do not then it may be easer to call Openreach. There are several ways to wire domestic phones
      and I do not want you to be stuck.

Thanks

hi brian 69...thanks a lot for the info but i have just this minute contacted bt...and an engineer is calling tomorrow to sort me out a new master socket etc...i will let you know asap how things work out...once again cheers...hopefully be back to let you know good or bad news

Thanks

It all depends what you asked for, the decision to charge or not when Openreach call to do work on a line that is serviceable will have been made before they arrive. But all is not lost. If he/she is a half decent it is always possible to say that the master did need replacing and that the old one caused poor voice performance or words to that effect.

Also When the new socket is fitted, be sure to check that all your sockets do not work with the faceplate removed. Do this before the tech has left, it is not unknown for Openreach in a hurry to get this wrong and it is much better to sort this out there and then.
      Last edited by Brian69; 05-02-08 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks

hello all again....UPDATE !!!on my problem/questions...well, just had openreach call to fit a new master socket ( with test socket inside )..but they could not fit one for the following reasons..

the current telephone line from pole to my house is below regulation height..so they are going to have to replace telephone pole ( it effects several people in my close)...the engineer who came will then call again to fit a new line from new pole into my house and a new master socket ( he also noticed a join in my wires close to where the master socket will be) so he will do a complete removal of old wires & replace with totally new ( no joins)...also apart from getting a new master socket questions etc...i have noticed several times through the day i lose web connection...could that be because my wiring set up into the house is so old ?..the engineer seemed to think it probabaly was..but a second opinion from you guys does not hurt..... i also told them when i called i had a lot of "crackle& hissing" on my phone & did not mention broadband probs ( except to engineer over a cup of coffee)

ps...engineer said he would fit a new master socket if i want it...but i did say may as well wait until new pole is erected & then have it done all in one go...as he said fitting the new master socket with the old wire would probably not benefit me

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Result, he's probably right as the old damaged wiring could be inducing noise which could result in dropouts. Though looking back at your stats they seem ok and you have a reasonable noise margin. Also you are using the newer router which is reportedly more tolerant of a low noise margin. Wait and see what results the new line brings.
      Last edited by dholdi; 06-02-08 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks

just wondered if anyone has any ideas...why when i was with orange for over 4yrs..i very rarely lost connection ?..is it/could it be that now with a faster speed ....the line because its older..has more problems associated with it...nothing has changed in pc or wiring set up..since i joined sky from orange

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast