Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

how do i know if i am on G.DMT or not ?

This is a discussion on how do i know if i am on G.DMT or not ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; It is very unusual not to have a master socket at all. It may look the same as all the ...

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: how do i know if i am on G.DMT or not ?

It is very unusual not to have a master socket at all. It may look the same as all the others but will usually have a Telecom or BT logo in one corner. There are extra components inside (capacitor, diode and resistor from memory) which were used to generate the ringing signal on your extensions.

You are looking for something like the LJU2/1A master on this page.

If you definitely do not have one then I think a call to BT is in order and they should fit one FOC as it should be there to terminate your line.
      Last edited by eyemdee; 04-02-08 at 09:16 PM. Reason: dyslexic spelling again

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are going to have to pay there is nothing to stop you telling them it is to improve your broadband connection.

You must have a master socket, it is usually the first one on the line coming into your house, it will have a capacitor inside, which slave sockets don't. If you really do not have one and your extensions are fed from a little oval box, then you should phone BT and ask them to upgrade your master socket as you have an old GPO junction box. They should do this free of charge.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

BT started fitting them to provide a point where there responsibility ended, ie the incoming line and the test socket at the rear of the master. Any extensions that are wired to the master are wired to the front detachable portion of the socket. So if theres a problem with your internal wiring BT can disconnect your wiring, test theirs and if theirs is ok say over to you. As to why you would need/want one is up to you, they are better though.

worcesterman47 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: charles street 01905 724
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Thanks

hi again...FINALLY found the master socket ( big thank you to EYEMDEE for the pic..) there was an " item" on the inside named LJU2/1A..so i plugged router into that socket but it seems to have made very very slight difference as stats now with router plugged in to master socket are as follows...

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 0:14:49

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 25917 41870 0 0 0 0:07:31
      LAN 44714 28891 0 739 914 0:14:49
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 0:14:27
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 13786 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.0 db 11.9 db
      Noise Margin 7.5 db 16.5 db

Poll Interval: (secs)

if you compare to previous last post with my router statistics... there is not much change..so is that my final option ? if so then i would like to give a big thanks to all for your help anyway...if not...what next can i try ? thanks again

ps .. just reading some other posts about master sockets..although mine does have the LJU2/1A on the inside..there is NO other place to insert filter for router cable...it looks like ALL the other sockets in my house ie little slide up cover to insert phone cable into...only difference being that it has the LJU2/1A showing inside...does that sound correct ?
      Last edited by worcesterman47; 05-02-08 at 10:24 AM.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Before I start, I have not read the whole thread, so sorry if I am repeating.
      The master you have is the old type, It does not allow you to disconnect your extensions, so unless you have opened it and removed the connection to them, leaving just the incoming line connected, you can not say you have made the best connection.
      You need to get your master replaced with a NTE-5 one. This has the test socket and allows you to connect to your line with all your internal wiring disconnected to see how your line performs. Unless there is a fault which requires the master to be replaced, BT do not have to do this for free, through I always replace the old type and I am sure most techs do. So you need a fault on one of your extensions so Openreach will visit and with a bit of luck you will get a new master fitted.

worcesterman47 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: charles street 01905 724
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Thanks

hi again... sorry..just need to clarify situation.....so if i had a NTE-5 fitted..would i have to disconnect all my extensions to perform a proper test ? or would the disconecting of the extensions be bypassed as i would be using the test socket ? i know you know what you are saying but txt always comes across differently as to meaning..if i do have to disconnect extensions in any scenario..i think i will leave things as they are ( as i am not the greatest diy'er in the world) .once again many thanks.

ps..how would i know if i had any kind of fault on my line? my phones seem fine & work well etc

Thanks

^^^^^^^^^^
      So you need a fault on one of your extensions so Openreach will visit and with a bit of luck you will get a new master fitted.
      Maybe you could clarify this. The thought on the forum has always been that BTs responsibility ended at the Master socket and any fault found on an extension past this was the consumers responsibility. Consequently, if BT were called out for a fault which subsequently was found to be on an extension, the consumer would be liable to pay. Does this just apply to NTE5 sockets and not to the LJU2/1A?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

O.k, assuming you get a NTE-5 fitted, then this includes a test socket, it allows you to connect your router directly to the line, with all your extensions disconnected. I am not suggesting that you will have to leave it like this, but you will then know what your line is capable of.
      Assuming that your speed is better at the test socket (and I am sure it will be) Then the next step would be a face plate filter. This allows you to have all your extensions connected and still allow you to get the best connection for your router at the master socket. If you get a nice Openreach Tech, they may well fit one for you if you ask, or you can do this yourself. I know this all sounds very difficult, but it is not really.

Thanks

Isitme.
      BT are responsible for all wiring in your home up to the demarcation point. If you do not have an NET-5 master, you do not have a demarcation point, so BT are responsible for it all. I always make this clear when replacing an old master for an NET-5. The home owner is now responsible for the internal wiring.
      All this applies to fixed extensions ( that are wired to the back of the master and are therefore not accessible to the customer) If your extensions are connected by some sort of plug in device to an old master, then they are yours.
      Last edited by Brian69; 05-02-08 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks

^^^^^^^^^^^
      Thanks, that's good to know. Many are afraid to get BT, or should we be saying OR, out to a fault in their extensions for fear of a big bill. Maybe that's why they nearly always fit NTE5s, it reduces their responsibility and could be a future earner should anything go wrong with the extensions.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast