Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Sudden terrible speeds on connect ...

This is a discussion on Sudden terrible speeds on connect ... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK, just phone them AGAIN and was told that the ticket I was told was re-opened is infact CLOSED! So ...

vandal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sudden terrible speeds on connect ...

OK, just phone them AGAIN and was told that the ticket I was told was re-opened is infact CLOSED! So why did he tell me he'd re-opened it when obviously as was mentioned that's not even possible? Just to fob me off?

The gent I spoke too said he'll get CST to call me back either tonight or tomorrow about it. If/when that happens I'll make sure some movement is made. If however it's not, can anyone tell me where I stand with regards to ending my contract?

First off I'll want to make an official complaint, anyone know where I should make that too? And if Sky are not supplying the service I was promised and making no effort to correct it, are they in breath of contract?

Just as a side note, is it worth me phoning BT and asking for a line check? If so, what wording should I use and what tests should I ask for? If it is a line problem then surely that's for BT to fix. However I still think it should be down to Sky to decide that and ask BT to do the repairs rather than me. Is that right? Are Sky liable to get BT to do the repairs or am I?
      Last edited by vandal; 11-02-08 at 07:50 PM.

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

^^^ If you are still getting the 8128 sync speed and good noise margin that you were getting before then there is nothing wrong with your line and no point trying to get it fixed. You now know its not a router fault either!

I still think this is a stuck BRAS profile, which is something BT need to fix at Sky's request. Alternatively you could try again yourself using the instructions in post 3 of this thread.

Your symptoms are exactly the same as other posters who have used this method successfully. It can take 3 days before the speed gets back to where it should be - 8096 kbps in your case!
      Last edited by eyemdee; 11-02-08 at 10:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

jonny1310 wrote
      the mac and serial number does not need to be in the system to connect
      The lack of punctuation marks makes your comment a bit difficult to read, but are you saying that a router does not have to have it's details scanned into Sky's system, to connect to the internet.?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

and there is no point in waiting for a callback as you might not even get one your ticket might just sit in the cue and sky will not let you cancel within contract as you are still getting a connection of up to 8 meg it does not say in your contract that you have to get 8meg so just get on to them and tell tier 1 that you are having the exact same problem and if you go to someone in belfast they will copy and paste the notes and create a new ticket but if you get the philipines expect to go through the script again

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Yes you don't have to have the router scaned into the system to connect, but it can go inttermitent if it is not but i have got people that have been with sky for a ages and never had a problem so there mac and serial no. was left unvalidated and there connection was fine.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      So Sky have been telling downright lies when they say a router will not connect unless it is scanned into their system?

There have been several cases where users have received un-scanned routers and have been unable to connect until the details were put into the system. Dozens on this forum alone.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonny1310 View Post
      and there is no point in waiting for a callback as you might not even get one your ticket might just sit in the cue and sky will not let you cancel within contract as you are still getting a connection of up to 8 meg it does not say in your contract that you have to get 8meg so just get on to them and tell tier 1 that you are having the exact same problem and if you go to someone in belfast they will copy and paste the notes and create a new ticket but if you get the philipines expect to go through the script again
      I might be getting UPTO 8 meg as the contract states but if my line is known to take upto 6 as BT have told me in the past (and that's what I was getting) surely me only getting .5 meg downloads (if I'm lucky) is beyond a reasonable amount short of what they should supply? If this was the case they could sell UPTO 8meg connections and put everyone on a 1meg and say "oh well, we did say anything upto" ... If the line can take 6meg I should get 6meg.

As for not getting a call back, are you saying CST won't do this? If so, why was I told they would. Why the lies all the time? If this is the case then I can never get through to CST and my problem will never be resolved. When I get to tier 1 they try to put me on to CST only to tell me the queue is too long so phone back later (and as I've stated, start all over again with another tech) or as I was told tonight, they'd phone me back. They won't even let me hold for a CST because the time is too long (and god knows how much that would cost anyway).

Anyhoo, no call tonight so I'll give them 'till mid afternoon tomorrow and try again.

Regarding the line retraining. I'm confused (doesn't take much). I'm to plug the router into the test socket with no filter? I can't so that because the router cable has the smaller connector and the phone is an RJ45 (?). Or am I getting this wrong?

Thanks.
      Last edited by vandal; 11-02-08 at 11:28 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

From the thread linked above ...

However, it is sometimes possible to fix this problem yourself. What you need to do is get the router to sync at a lower speed temporarily. Try removing all the microfilters (except the one your using for the router, of course), so that telephones and Sky TV boxes are all connected directly to the phone system. Yes, yes, that's the exact opposite of how things are supposed to be, but that's the point - you want the line conditions to be bad, so that the router syncs at a lower speed.
      It says I should remove all filters bar the one the router is using. I only have one phone socket in the house, hence one filter, which the router is connected too. So my connection is set up like this anyway isn't it?

Just thought. Should I use a two way phone adaptor, plug the phone into one socket and the microfilter into the other? That way the phone is straight in and the router is still on. Would that work?
      Last edited by vandal; 11-02-08 at 11:36 PM.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
      Just thought. Should I use a two way phone adaptor, plug the phone into one socket and the microfilter into the other? That way the phone is straight in and the router is still on. Would that work?
      Yes, that should do it. Check the stats after you reboot the router and hopefully the sync (connection) speed will have dropped from 8128. Let it run like that for a couple of hours then connect everything back properly and reboot again.

Then cross fingers...

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Are you talking about a splitter because if you are do not plug it in before the microfilter orelse you will have to be disconnected again to take it out you should always put the microfilter as the first thing that is plugged into the master or test socket and in regards with cst being busy call in between 9:00am-10:00am as it is usually quiet between these times and the other thing i would like to mention is that if your ticket is created and just dumped in the cue there is no time put on the ticket for the ticket to be looked at so it will just sit there but if you get through to the cst your ticket gets a date and time for it to be looked at and as soon as it hits the time that it was meant to be looked at it turns red and then the outbound team say to them selves that they have to look at this ticket because it is red i hope this has helped you

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast