Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sudden terrible speeds on connect ...

This is a discussion on Sudden terrible speeds on connect ... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Great, thanks for the help and advice. I'll let you know how I get on....

vandal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sudden terrible speeds on connect ...

Great, thanks for the help and advice. I'll let you know how I get on.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Just a quick update on whats happened here.

Got a phone call from a nice chap at the CST and he said the line seems OK after all the tests. He asked me to do a speedtest and give him the result which was sub 100 kbps. He said it looks like a throughput problem with the router so he's ordered a new one for me, which will be 3-5 working days.

I don't know how these things work so I took his word for it and hope the router is the problem. This sound about right to you?

Cheers.

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

the first test they would have done was one shot check for low threshold breach basically they do this check and look at 3 numbers and one of these numbers(thresholds)should be higher than the other two if it is not then they have to log the fault to bt for low threshold breach

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonny1310 View Post
      the first test they would have done was one shot check for low threshold breach basically they do this check and look at 3 numbers and one of these numbers(thresholds)should be higher than the other two if it is not then they have to log the fault to bt for low threshold breach
      Hehe, not a clue what you just said.

The thing that worries me is that all tests with BT have been stopped and its been decided that the router is at fault. This maybe the case, as I've stated I'm not clued up on these things. What I wanted to know is, if the router connects to the exchange at 8meg (or so the router claims) then can there be a fault with it that limits how fast it sends data to and from my computers.

According the SKY CST everything upto the router is fine, after that the speeds are affected, by the throughput of the router. Confuses me. Anyone had/heard of this problem themselves?

BTW I have 2 computers in the house, one wired to the router and the other wireless. Both became slow at the same time so this rules out a connection (to the router) issue.
      Last edited by vandal; 11-02-08 at 12:57 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

OH MY GOD! I SWEAR I'M GOING TO LOSE IT.

So, the new router arrived this morning, it's one of the older white netgear routers with the ariel sticking out out the back. I plugged it in hoping it would clear the problem, but no. Exactly the same performance as with the other router.

So I phoned Sky up to hopefully go to the next step, only to be told the ticket has been closed! They closed it without even confirming they'd fixed it! Needless to say I wasn't happy. He went off to talk to the CST and he explained he had to go through the usual "plug this in" and "try this connection" procedure to open a new ticket, so I bit my lip and did it with him. HE did say that the CST told him it may be a problem at the exchange.

He then told me to try and connect straight into the test socket on the wall with another filter, which I told him I'd already done but agreed as he said when I phone back I'll be passed straight to CST who will then get the ball rolling with regards to checking the exchange.

After trying what he said, knowing it wouldn't work I phoned back, only to get another call centre. This plank asks me for the router MAC and SERIAL number which I gave. She tells me the router is not on thier system so all she can do is pass it on to her supervisor and he/she will elevate it to the CST who will phone me within three working days! I was gob smacked.

So I decided I'm not having this after putting the phone down and phoned back, however I'm determined to get to the Irish (British?) call centre as they seem to speak more sense. However, after 5 tries I've had no luck.
      Last edited by vandal; 11-02-08 at 03:13 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Were you able to connect at all. If you were, the router must be in the system and you were being fobbed off. If you were not able to connect then there is every chance that the router has not been scanned into the system. In which case you will have to persevere until you get someone who will put it in.

I always advise being plugged into the Test socket when you phone, it saves being cut off and passed to another centre, as has happened to you. I made the same mistake when I had a problem and it took another 3 calls to get back on track. I do not understand why when you call, the first thing you are told is not, 'This is your Ticket number, please quote it if you have to call back'. Though maybe that would reduce Sky's phone revenue

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

That's what I didnt understand. Yes, I was connected with the new router and (apart from the obvious problem) things are fine with it, as with the other one. How it's not on their system when they sent it I don't know.

After a couple more tries I finally managed to get through to an Irish chap that was more clued up that all the other talk centre personel put together. He too tried to open a new ticket by asking for the MAC and serial from the router and he confirmed it's not on their system.

So, with a bit of jiggery-pockery he managed to open the original ticket that was close (why the others couldn't do this in the first place is beyond me). However the queue for the CST was ages so he advised me to call back later. Which I am about to do ... wish me luck.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you CANNOT reopen a closed ticket - you can open a new one and copy/paste previous notes tho...

and when a replacement router is sent out ticket gets closed as its assumed that the new router will solve the issues...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

jonny1310 is offline Banned for stealing our content
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

they aasked you for your mac and serial number as witout it in the system they cannot create a ticket but they should have been able to put it in the system(chordiant) straight away to validate it and the mac and serial number does not need to be in the system to connect it takes about 2 seconds to validate the mac they did have a problem with the black routers mac and serial as they would not validate properly so the agents had to pass the eus details to there team leader tobe manually validated

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      you CANNOT reopen a closed ticket - you can open a new one and copy/paste previous notes tho...

and when a replacement router is sent out ticket gets closed as its assumed that the new router will solve the issues...
      Well I don't know what he's done but he told me he re-opened the ticket and gave me a ref. number which was the same as the previous one. During my last call he tried to put me through to CST again but again, they were too busy and asked me to phone later.

Getting sick of it all really, I just wish I could get some kind of movement on the matter. Instead I seem to be no further on than I was at the start and every time I phone, instead of it moving on I'm dragged back to doing the stupid connection test/changes you have to go through. That's because you never get the same call person and they treat it as a new situation. None of them have gone "oh yea, let me pass you straight onto CST". You always have to jump the first hurdle time and again.

As for the router not being in the system, I ain't got a clue. However to automatically close a ticket because you send out a router is a joke. So a new router fixes everything does it?

Come back BT Openworld, all is forgiven ...
      Last edited by vandal; 11-02-08 at 07:30 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast