Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sudden terrible speeds on connect ...

This is a discussion on Sudden terrible speeds on connect ... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by vandal OK I've done the line retraining thingy but no change I'm not sure that you have ...

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sudden terrible speeds on connect ...

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
      OK I've done the line retraining thingy but no change
      I'm not sure that you have given that long enough to have any effect. You need to leave the additional noise on the line for a few hours to effectively let the exchange retrain your line to a lower speed.

Then reconnect everything back correctly and see whether the sync gradually improves as the line retrains to the quieter line again.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

I've found the original thread on this here. Something called the BRAS profile needs updating if you have the same problem.

I think I missed the bit about rebooting the router to force the lower sync!
      Last edited by eyemdee; 03-02-08 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Omission

vandal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      I'm not sure that you have given that long enough to have any effect. You need to leave the additional noise on the line for a few hours to effectively let the exchange retrain your line to a lower speed.

Then reconnect everything back correctly and see whether the sync gradually improves as the line retrains to the quieter line again.
      I left it for 3 hours, the family were having cold sweats without the net. However I'll do it again overnight when nobody uses the net anyway. See if that helps.

Thanks

You can still use the net with the filters removed! You are just retraining a bit of kit in the exchange to relearn your line.

Did you reboot the router and check whether the connection speed had reduced? That was the bit I missed in the previous post!

Reboot again when you reconnect everything correctly. Readiing that other post again makes me think that this is most likely to resolve your problem.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You can still use the net with the filters removed!
      You should use it as much as you can to force the rate down. You don't have to do it very long, a bit over an hour and a half is enough. You might find it difficult to use the phone, (which you should do to create as much interference on the line as you can) as you will probably hear the modem working.

One thing to remember is that it can take up to 3 days for your line to retrain. That is the real downer with ADSLMax, if your sync drops a couple of times in a short period, your line will drop down immediately, but after the problem is past, it can take days to come back up, but when it does it should jump right up to your full speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just phoned Sky again and this time managed to get through to tier2. First thing they did was a line test. When they phoned back they said I DID have a fault on the line. She explained I should be getting 8meg but can only get 7 and because of this they've logged the fault with BT.

Thing is this, I've NEVER had 7meg. Infact, BT told me my line can only handle 6, which I've never even had. 4-5 meg has been the norm for me which I was happy with. I explained this to the sky engineer and told her that atm I'm only getting .5 of a meg if I'm lucky. She kinda shrugged that off and continued to go on about the faulty line being the problem.

So, we'll see how it goes. She told me it takes upto 48 for BT to pull their finger out so I'm stuck with this at least until wednesday.

Thanks

Have you managed to do a BT speed test, if so what were the results? The thing is you are connecting at full speed, so retraining your line should not be necessary. The official test will show your existing profile, connection speed and actual speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

No I've not been able to do the test.

I enter my phone number, then when it asks for the username you said

"You will need to put in your phone number then the username, the one hidden in your router. It is the MAC code of the router, minus the colons with @skydsl behind it."

However, there are 2 MAC addresses in the router, one for ADSL and one for LAN. I thought it would most likely be the ADSL one so I used that, but no luck. I did remove the colons and put the @skyadsl but it returns ...

The login name entered on this tool doesnt match that discovered by querying the network for your domain name. Please check your telephone number (or user name) and try again. If problem persists please contact your CP.

Am I dumb?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Scrub all that I said. It was the other MAC address. This was the result.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
      DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 19 kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.

Please wait whilst you are redirected to undertake a second test.
      I can't do the second test because it needs me to change my username used to login but I don't use one, it's automatic.
      Last edited by vandal; 04-02-08 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks

I can't do the second test because it needs me to change my username used to login but I don't use one, it's automatic.
      I think this may be referring to a BT user login, which you will not have as you are with Sky. You could try your Sky login, ie. <yourloginname>@sky.com. but this may not work. Previously, with Plusnet I used my Plusnet login, but I don't think Sky are set up the same. There does not seem to be the same contact with BT that Plusnet enjoys.

Nevertheless, this test should be enough to convince Sky that something is seriously wrong. Sending it to them using the KANA Form may get to someone who knows his back side from his elbow.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast