Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

loss of sync on incoming call

This is a discussion on loss of sync on incoming call within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Im finding I lose sync between 15-30 seconds of an incoming call whether or not the call is answered. Im ...

nobby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Batley
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

loss of sync on incoming call

Im finding I lose sync between 15-30 seconds of an incoming call whether or not the call is answered. Im using a dlink router (for multiple xbox reasons) which reconnects within about 20 seconds, my old speedtouch 510v4 gives a similar result and the best seems to be the sky v1 router that drops packets without losing sync. Im testing with the BT faceplate removed and im plugged directly in to the bt test socket. Whats the best way of getting this sorted is it bt line fault? Last time I phoned sky cos my line was down they said call back in a while if it doesn’t come back on, guy didn’t seem to have a clue, do I need to get thro to tier3?

Netgear stats posted below:

Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 416 Kbps, Downstream rate = 4768 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 7.4 14.0
      Attn(dB): 51.0 31.5
      Pwr(dBm): 19.2 1.6
      Max(Kbps): 5376 1088
      Rate (Kbps): 4768 416
      G.dmt framing
      K: 150(0) 14
      R: 16 16
      S: 1 16
      D: 32 2
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 150 14
      M: 1 16
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 1.1059 17.0666
      L: 1208 120
      D: 32 2
      Counters
      SF: 13290 13288
      SFErr: 1 440
      RS: 903784 56474
      RSCorr: 947 364
      RSUnCorr: 12 0

HEC: 1 336
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 2537384 0
      Data Cells: 2657 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 1 0
      SES: 0 0
      UAS: 20 0
      Total time = 4 min 13 sec
      SF = 13290
      CRC = 1
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      Latest 1 day time = 4 min 13 sec
      SF = 13290
      CRC = 1
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      Latest 15 minutes time = 4 min 13 sec
      SF = 13290
      CRC = 1
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      Previous 15 minutes time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Last edited by nobby; 02-02-08 at 11:18 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: loss of sync on incoming call

At first glance this looks like a filter prob, but you say the connection drops if the call is not answered so I don't think so. This looks like a line problem, more precisely, a poor joint somewhere, make sure all the connections to A and B on the back of the master are secure, also any joint boxes there may be on the BT side. If all is o.k then you will need to get sky to get Openreach out. With any luck you will get a BB tech, but if not you will have to explan that you want a Hawk test done. This puts a sig up the line and looks for reflections. It can find a duff joint with great accuracy. What was the problem last time, I have a feeling they may be related.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      At first glance this looks like a filter prob, but you say the connection drops if the call is not answered so I don't think so. This looks like a line problem, more precisely, a poor joint somewhere, make sure all the connections to A and B on the back of the master are secure, also any joint boxes there may be on the BT side. If all is o.k then you will need to get sky to get Openreach out. With any luck you will get a BB tech, but if not you will have to explan that you want a Hawk test done. This puts a sig up the line and looks for reflections. It can find a duff joint with great accuracy. What was the problem last time, I have a feeling they may be related.
      last time it was a general exchange fault. whats the best way to contact them (sky)?

ive tried plugging directly in to the test plug with all phones disconnected using a rj11/bt adaptor with no filter and problem is the same..
      Last edited by nobby; 02-02-08 at 11:21 PM.

Thanks

Assuming that there is no fault when using the phone (noise, crackels ) Then this is one case where you will have to go through your ISP (sky) you will no doubt have to fight your way to teir3 to get anywhere and then BT will insist on doing an exchange test which will pass so this could be a long haul. I know this will sound odd, but with any luck, the fault will get worse and start to effect your voice service, you could then report this straght to BT.

I was being unfair about Sky. I sent an e-mail about ADSL to them today and got a phone call from a very helpful chap (thank you Andy) who was happy to help me, so it just depends who you get, like everything else.
      Last edited by Brian69; 03-02-08 at 12:52 AM. Reason: unfair to sky tech team

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nobby View Post
      Im finding I lose sync between 15-30 seconds of an incoming call whether or not the call is answered.
      I think my approach to this would be to log in to the Sky router, connected to the test socket via an ADSL filter and phone, and bring up the Show Statistics window from the bottom of the Router status page.

Watch the Noise Margin for a few minutes to get an average value, then call your line from a mobile phone. If the noise margin drops significantly, which I suspect it will, then note the value and try again with another ADSL filter.

If no change with a new filter, then complete the Sky Technical Report Form along the lines of "my noise margin drops from X.X db to Y.Y db when I receive an incoming telephone call and my broadband disconnects".

This should hopefully get passed to someone who understands the problem and can get it fixed!

Thanks

Thats a good idea. I have spent too long dealing with BT Broadband and this has left me with a rather twisted view of ISP's.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

^^^ I think at the end of the day there is probably not much to choose between any of them! You have to try and get the best service you can out of whatever systems they have in place!

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      I think my approach to this would be to log in to the Sky router, connected to the test socket via an ADSL filter and phone, and bring up the Show Statistics window from the bottom of the Router status page.

Watch the Noise Margin for a few minutes to get an average value, then call your line from a mobile phone. If the noise margin drops significantly, which I suspect it will, then note the value and try again with another ADSL filter.

If no change with a new filter, then complete the Sky Technical Report Form along the lines of "my noise margin drops from X.X db to Y.Y db when I receive an incoming telephone call and my broadband disconnects".

This should hopefully get passed to someone who understands the problem and can get it fixed!
      thanks for all your responses, i will try the suggestions and post back. i have a bit of a hiss on the line but no crackles..

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ive tried watching the noise margin using the method mentioned, it drops only 0.3-0.4 with the netgear. With the other 2 routers sync is lost. I have another reasonably new NTE5 on a disused line which i have fitted on to the working line, results are the same.

I would be interested to find the attenuation would be on the disused line and if its lower, getting the working line swapped on to it, whats the chance of getting bt to do this?

Is there a reason the sky router would only be suitable for the line (besides the T&Cs)?

Thanks

Morning all.
      I can see where you are coming from but you would be better to stick with getting your original prob fixed. If you muddy the waters at this stage, then what you want done may get "lost in translation" between Sky and BT/Openreach. The time to mention the second line and the possibility of it's use is when you have the Openreach guy there. Apart from T&C's, if you have your user name and pass word I think the other router would work.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast