Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

loss of sync on incoming call

This is a discussion on loss of sync on incoming call within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; still having trouble, phones just rung as i was in the router admin and the noise margin dropped from 7.4 ...

nobby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Batley
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: loss of sync on incoming call

still having trouble, phones just rung as i was in the router admin and the noise margin dropped from 7.4 to 0.1 and sync lost..

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

^ That's one big drop in noise margin! No amount of capping will solve that IMHO and I would go back to plan A and the Sky email form giving them that information!

It does definitely sound like a line/exchange fault somewhere.
      Last edited by eyemdee; 04-02-08 at 08:52 PM. Reason: addition

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Definitely looks like a line fault. If you were with BT Broadband it would probably be fixed in a couple of days. Unfortunately Sky hardly seem to be on speaking terms with BT, so it can take a lot longer. There is probably a loose connection somewhere along your line which causes a spike when the phone is used.

It may be worth calling BT and telling them that you have a problem with your phone, it sometimes cuts off when you are speaking on it. Also tell them that now and again you can hear clicking and buzzing on the phone but not all the time. Do not mention Sky Broadband.

It is a sad state of affairs when you have to tell porkies to get anything meaningful done, but that's how it appears to be.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Just a thought - you haven't changed telephones recently have you? It might be worth trying another telephone handset just to rule out the possibility of that being faulty!

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post

It may be worth calling BT and telling them that you have a problem with your phone, it sometimes cuts off when you are speaking on it. Also tell them that now and again you can hear clicking and buzzing on the phone but not all the time. Do not mention Sky Broadband.

It is a sad state of affairs when you have to tell porkies to get anything meaningful done, but that's how it appears to be.
      i logged a fault with bt yesterday for intermittent noise (a porky) they tested the line and gave the all clear. i was running the dlink when the noise margin did the huge drop...the netgear from sky seems to be more resilient and tends to drop packets .

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      Just a thought - you haven't changed telephones recently have you? It might be worth trying another telephone handset just to rule out the possibility of that being faulty!
      i have the fault with bt face plate off and no phones connected even using a rj11-BT adaptor and no filter (or phones).

The guy at sky hit the roof when i told him id opened the socket up lol! he said i was liable to a very large 160 fine from BT if found out..
      Last edited by nobby; 04-02-08 at 09:25 PM.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

BT Broadband have no more sway with Openreach than any other ISP. I treat them all with equal contempt.
      Only Jokeing. Get Sky to get a BB tech to this and they will have it sussed. The exchange test that's done is only to look for faults that may effect the telephone. It would pass if the line were made of twisted wet string. If you want it to fail you will have to introduce an open circuit on the BT side of the master socket.
      Last edited by Brian69; 04-02-08 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks

Get Sky to get a BB tech to this and they will have it sussed.
      Good thought Brian, but Sky will send out a new router before they ask BT to do anything. It is the last and final one month later thought.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Definitely looks like a line fault. If you were with BT Broadband it would probably be fixed in a couple of days. Unfortunately Sky hardly seem to be on speaking terms with BT, so it can take a lot longer. There is probably a loose connection somewhere along your line which causes a spike when the phone is used.

BT have been and done a line test and he climbed the pole to check the connections, no fault was found, I didnt mention the broadband. He said its standard procedure for Openreach to charge the customer for a call and I could expect to be charged for his visit. How can I get of the charge?

Faults still there, Sky+ stuck in stand by this morning, its all going down hill...

Thanks

I have had the 'stuck in standby' problem for a few weeks now, it seems to happen just when I want to record something really important like Stargate Atlantis

The first time it happened I was on the phone for ages doing things I had already done (reminds me of BB support) Eventually the gent on the sub-continent transferred me to the proper technician, who told me what to do and it was fixed in minutes.

If you have not already wasted your money phoning India, try this-
      1. Unplug or switch off the power socket.
      2. Hold in the Backup button, it is the top button of the vertical row of 3.
      3. Still holding the button, switch the power back on.
      4. Hold the button until a row of lights come on, then let go. Your screen will show a message about rebooting and will take 10-15 minutes to go through the cycle.
      Hopefully, when it is finished you will be back on line. You don't loose any of your saves or steeings doing this, which is a relief.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Sky TV:
      Thanks

anyone got any tips for getting out of the 99+vat bill ive been landed with from my fault earlier in this thread? i still lose bb ocasionally when the phone rings so its not cured but voice calls seem fine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast