Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DNS issues

This is a discussion on DNS issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This is really bugging me, I'm having huge problems with my internet - basically some websites just won't load, not ...

SimpleRules is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

DNS issues

This is really bugging me, I'm having huge problems with my internet - basically some websites just won't load, not specific websites - they are constantly changing, not websites that are actually down, no websites such as Google, The Telegraph, Wikipedia, are among the many sites where I've gotten Server Not Found recently.

A bit more info, the sites don't begin to load and take ages - as soon as I've hit enter, I get the error - this is happening across two computers and I've tried two browsers too, no viruses or anything.

I thought this must be a DNS issue and I've confirmed it. Just a minute ago I typed en.wikipedia.org into my address bar to go to the English wikipedia, well got the error and all, went right to Command Prompt and attempted a tracert on en.wikipedia.org and got this:
      Unable to resolve target system name en.wikipedia.org

Hopefully you can help - for the time being I'm going to switch to OpenDNS again on one of my PCs and wish for the best with the other, I'd like to solve the cause and not the symptom and so won't switch to OpenDNS on both and ignore the issue ... any help is greatly appreciated, here are the two DNS servers the router tells me are set:
      Domain Name Server 90.207.238.97

My exchange is MySKP if anybody on here is on it also and having problems ...

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: DNS issues

I'm afraid the problem really does lie with Sky's DNS servers - they are just too sluggish. The only solution is to carry on using an alternative, like OpenDNS.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Over the last few weeks I have had a lot of problems with sites not loading, this one in particular. Very often I have lost the connection here between writing a post and attempting to post it. Yesterday morning I put the OpenDNS servers into the router and touch wood, I have not had a failure yet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleRules View Post
      I thought this must be a DNS issue and I've confirmed it. Just a minute ago I typed en.wikipedia.org into my address bar to go to the English wikipedia, well got the error and all, went right to Command Prompt and attempted a tracert on en.wikipedia.org and got this:
      Unable to resolve target system name en.wikipedia.org
      Have you checked the router log to see whether it is losing its connection? If you were getting intermittent disconnections you may see the same symptoms.

As for DNS, I agree with others - use either Open DNS or a combination of both in your PC e.g. 208.67.222.222 (OpenDNS) and 192.168.0.1 (your router i.e. Sky).

Thanks

Just a refresher on how to put Open|DNS into the router. Ripped from a previous post by James I think.

1. Start the telnet daemon using the Mognuts utility page
      2. Telnet to the router by doing Start->Run then typing telnet 192.168.0.1
      3. Type the following commands
      * nvram set wan_dns1=208.67.222.222
      * nvram set wan_dns2=208.67.220.220
      * nvram set wan_fix_dns=1
      4. Reboot the router
      I don't think it will work on the Sagems. Maybe James could confirm?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

skycaptain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kingsland Green
      Broadband ISP: o2 Premium
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      it does work on the sagem router, i'm using it right now.

Thanks

Maybe you are misunderstanding, your link leads to instructions on how to set up your PC. The telnet sets it up on the actual router, so there is no need to set up individual PCs. Still working perfect for me on 3 machines, using Vista, XP and 2000

TomD

Useful Utilites

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I did manage to plumb in fixed DNS addresses into the Sagem, at least I could when it was running the 1.1sky firmware. I haven't actually got a Sagem with the proper 1.5sky firmware on it. Unfortunately one of the biggest differences between 1.1sky and 1.5sky is the way they handle configuration files. On 1.5sky they're scrambled, making it difficult to save the router's configuration, modifying it and the loading that modified configuration back into the router.

It is possible to do it on the Netgear V2 router, but only if you are using the modified firmware that enables telnet access. Without that there's no way of modifying the configuration.

woodzter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stourbridge
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I too have these exact same issues. I have a Netgear V2 router so cant do anyting about it. If you put OpenDNS in your NIC card settings surely the router over rides this.

I dont really understand the DNS of it all.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If you put OpenDNS in your NIC card settings surely the router over rides this.
      Nope, the PC would use the DNS settings from the NIC first before the router.

I too have OpenDNS settings at the moment.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast