Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Are my stats good for Sky Max?

This is a discussion on Are my stats good for Sky Max? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello I'm currently a BT Broadband customer on their option 3 (up to 8mb) at $25/month. I'm a Sky TV ...

Paul N is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Are my stats good for Sky Max?

Hello

I'm currently a BT Broadband customer on their option 3 (up to 8mb) at $25/month. I'm a Sky TV customer so figured I'd give the 16Mb Max package a go. I've heard both good and bad things about Sky (probably much like all ISPs) but would appreciate it if some of you could take a quick look over my stats to see if my line should reach the top speeds the 16Mb line offers.

These stats are from Netgear DG834G v2 running BT Broadband 8Mb @ 2pm GMT:

Connection Speed: D/S:8128 kbps U/S:448 kbps
      Line Attenuation: D/S:7 db U/S:1.5 db
      Noise Margin: D/S:12 db U/S:27 db

Speedtest.net: D/S:6825kbs U/S: 383kbs

Ping bbc.co.uk: 10m/s average

From what I've read, the attenuation is okay (I found out I'm 233 meters from the exchange), but what about that noise margin? Do these stats suggest there could be any errors on my line, possible bad connections I should look into?

Is there anything else I can give you that could help predict roughly what I should achieve when switching to Sky?

Thanks
      Last edited by Paul N; 01-02-08 at 03:44 PM.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Are my stats good for Sky Max?

IF you're attenuation is really 7 then you should get 16Mbps with a lot to spare given perfect line conditions...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I would have expected to see a slightly higher noise margin for such a good, short line on an 8Mbit/sec service, but like IANTE says, you should still be able to get the full speed. And even if you don't, it probably wouldn't take much to improve the phone wiring in your house in order to remedy that.

But yet another person with a really good, enviable line, asking if they'll get the maximum speed on Sky Broadband Max. Makes ya sick dunnit.

Now where's the rolly eye smilie… ah here it is…

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well that's good to know. Thanks for your help.

I just logged into the router again and the stats are showing the same. Will they likely decrease during busy periods?

The router is on the end of a 15 meter long extension from master socket in the hall, to my upstairs bedroom, which was installed when I got it from BT. So I suppose that doesn't help but not much I can do about that. Is there anywhere else I could improve the wiring? There's another extension coming off the master socket, but its unused.

Also, I hear alot about filters and splitters. I assume the splitter is the master socket in the hall (it has ADSL v1.0 on it). A telephone line is coming out one port and the thicker extension cable with the bigger plug is coming out the other and going upstairs to my room. This extension then goes into a second smaller box with the smaller cable going from this box to the router. The unused second extension seems to come from behind the master socket in the hall and goes upstairs into another room. On the end of this is just a box, but no telephone line (unused).

Does that sound healthy? Do I have a filter somewhere in that? Do I need one if I haven't? And will the splitter or anything need upgrading, or simply swap the routers?

Thanks again.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Ah, you've got one of the original BT splitter faceplates. Some people claim that the ADSLNation splitter faceplace works better than the BT one, but I'm not entirely convinced. Don't get me wrong, the ADSLNation kit is excellent, but I just don't think the BT one is all that bad anyway.

The only issue I can see with your setup is that it's usually better to have the router next to the master socket, and have a long Ethernet cable between the router and your PC, rather than having the router next to your PC and using a long RJ11 cable between your master socket and your router.

But your line is so good, I wouldn't bother changing things. You almost certainly will get the maximum speed with your line.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I see what you mean. So have the router downstairs in the hall as opposed to upstairs. I'll keep that in mind.

Once again, thanks for your time.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks you might have the V1 socket which may have a RJ45 (ethernet type) socket. If so, you may need one of These

Sometimes you can get the RJ11 plug to fit the larger socket, so try it first, before you buy either a converter or ADSLNation faceplate, which has the RJ11 socket. As James says some people have problems with the V1, I think either because they were designed when broadband was a red hot 512kbps connection, or because of the ill fitting plug.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.