Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Intermittent Connection Problems

This is a discussion on Intermittent Connection Problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys I was wondering if somebody could give me a few pointers/advice as to what problems may be causing ...

wardyboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Intermittent Connection Problems

Hi Guys

I was wondering if somebody could give me a few pointers/advice as to what problems may be causing my connection problems - so thanks in advance.

Basically we've had Sky Broadband for about a month. However, when we boot up the PC/Router we cannot always connect to the Internet. The router lights show as they should be (solid green - am connecting with cable rather than wirelessly) but when we open a browser window, we get the usual standard IE error page (i.e. could be experiencing DNS problems and also our email then does not work), then the next day when we log on, the internet is fine as is our email. I've spoken to Sky but as far as they're concerned there is no problem due to the fact that we can access the Internet at times. Please can anybody highlight what might be causing this and what a fix might be as this hit and miss is driving us crazy - we had no problems connecting when using BT Broadband?

Would be extremely grateful for any kind of help or checklist

Kind Regards

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent Connection Problems

Are you leaving the router powered on all the time? It is designed to be left on permanently.

If not, it can sometimes take a little while to establish its connection at the exchange which may explain your problem if the PC is completing its boot-up before the router has completed its connection.

wardyboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for replying eyemdee!

No i've been turning it off. Is that likely to be the problem (I didn't realise, I thought you were supposed to turn them off)? If so then i'll just start leaving it on.

Cheers

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Can't guarantee that is the problem but better to try the easy things first!!

The router needs to be fully synchronised with the exchange before you boot up the PC for the Internet to work properly.
      Last edited by eyemdee; 01-02-08 at 12:18 AM.