Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Really slow speeds on Connect BB - PLease HELP!

This is a discussion on Really slow speeds on Connect BB - PLease HELP! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Trawled over a lot of this site to try and find any help with speeding up my internet connection. ...

thesquirrelpatrol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Langside
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Really slow speeds on Connect BB - PLease HELP!

Hi,

Trawled over a lot of this site to try and find any help with speeding up my internet connection. Recently got the connect product installed for 5 a month because apparently i am an "offnet" customer according to sky, i dont know what this means because i had originally tried to get on to their normal mid product and was told it was at capacity in my area,

i have done loads of speed tests and my router stats tell me -

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 53385 48319 0 11462 4910 0:43:24
      LAN 50020 55454 0 6762 12696 0:45:16
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 0:44:54
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5984 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 8.0 db 3.0 db
      Noise Margin 15.3 db 24.0 db

i did a test at speedtest.net and got these results

not only is the internet sluggish in general, I am getting terrible download speeds using azureus. I am using the sagem router and have opened up a port for forwarding also, because im using the mcafee given free with the BB i ve changed the settings to allow access to the port ive set up and windows firewall is off....still getting download speeds of abuot 10-20kbps MAXIMUM and its worse than that alot of the time.FOllowing the advise on azureus help i have disable uPNP because I wasnt sure if the sagem modem allows it or not...again i dont know if this is correct. PLease help me I have already spent over an hour on teh fone to the folk at sky and although i originally had a phone extension running from the phone point to the modem ( which i have now removed and the speed got a bit better) I am getting really frsutrated at the speeds....

thanks

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Really slow speeds on Connect BB - PLease HELP!

If those stats are correct then with that attenuation you should be able to get the full 8 meg.
      The noise margin suggests a heavy cap ?
      With respect to azureus have you enabled encryption as the connect service throttles p2p applications.
      Finally - bin Mcafee - it is (insert your own derogatory word here - lol ) try avast or avg which are both free.
      Last edited by dholdi; 31-01-08 at 11:01 PM.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thesquirrelpatrol View Post
      i originally had a phone extension running from the phone point to the modem ( which i have now removed and the speed got a bit better) I am getting really frsutrated at the speeds....
      You're on Connect which uses an exchange based rate adaptation process. What this means is that the exchange equipment monitors your connection for a period and then sets the router sync speed to a level where the connection is stable. If the line is noisy then this figure can be much lower than the attenuation would normally support. If the sync is lower then the noise margin is higher.

If the exchange equipment detects an improvement to the line condition then it should readjust the sync figure accordingly. Sometimes this doesn't happen correctly. It looks like yours probably has because you saw an improvement when you removed the extension.

With Connect, download speed isn't closely coupled to sync speed as it is with Sky's LLU products. The exchange bands sync speeds and then sets the throughput (download speed) separately. If the sync speed changes then it has to hold this improvement for 3 clear days before the download speed moves bands.

You had a noisy line. You appeared to have improved things and increased download speeds should follow after a few days. However your current stats appear to show that you still may have a line problem and until you sort that out your router will not sync higher nor will your download speeds improve that much.

Lastly, Connect is a traffic shaped service. This means that P2P applications such as Azureus can experience low speeds. As dholdi suggests, enabling traffic encryption may bring about an improvement but in peak times especially, Connect is never going to be that good.

HTH

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

I've been with Sky since Christmas on connect like yourself.
      My initial sync was around 4.5mb and has dropped over time to 3.5 mb (was on 5.5 with Be on ADSL2).

However my actual throughput from the regular speed tests I run can be anywhere from 10-kbs to about 2.5 mb/s.

At present, and for the past week or so it's been very very poor.

I suspect Skys centrals are congested, especially consider the number of people complaing about Connect packages.

Does anybody know what size and number of BT centrals Sky have?

Slim

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I'm not sure but i think sky have 11, which are their own and not bt's. If as you suggest the centrals are congested it would be bt's as the connect package is a rebadged bt service.
      Last edited by dholdi; 01-02-08 at 02:37 PM.

thesquirrelpatrol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Langside
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for all your help so far...Ive changed the settings on azureus to use encryption ( by going into options - connection - transport encryption I assume this is right).

Getting about 30kbps just now but up and down alot. I removed the line extension yesterday while on teh fone to sky - before i had i was getting about 200 kbits ps on pc pitstops test and then immediately after i unplugged that i got 1100 kbits ps but havent had anything as good or better than that since then - is it jsut a matter of waiting to see over the next few days if it resets itself as a result of this or do i have to fone sky to get them to open another ticket for me and change my line settings?

btw does the sagem router allow uPNP or not ? - should i have this switched on or off on azureus???

thanks again

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

The resetting of download speed rate bands should be automatic but will usually take 3 days (presumably to ensure the line improvements aren't transitory). Occasionally the profile can get stuck and this would have to be dealt with by BT via Sky.

As far as I'm aware the Sagem handles UPnP perfectly well so can't see a reason to turn it off (other than it is a bit of a security risk). If your port forwarding rules are set properly then you don't need it. I've never heard of a specific UPnP azureus problem before but then I don't use it so I suppose it's possible - doesn't seem likely though.