Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Max package Cancelled in error by Sky

This is a discussion on Max package Cancelled in error by Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; In December I ordered SKY HD and noticed they had not applied my discount for being a subscriber of over ...

fenderchamp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01225
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Max package Cancelled in error by Sky

In December I ordered SKY HD and noticed they had not applied my discount for being a subscriber of over 3 years. I rang them up and SKY said they needed to cancel the first order and put raise a new order.
      A while later I noticed my broadband connection was 2Meg and not the 16meg I had enjoyed previously and checked my last bill and my max subscription was not included anymore.
      It would appear this SKY HD cancellation process also cancelled my broadband Max package. It took a few calls to get to the bottom of this, the usual blaming BT etc. until I got through to someone who had dealt with some other similar cases. Apparently its a known problem with their software.

The SKY person tells me I have to cancel the 2 megs I currently have and reapply for 16meg and this will result in me loosing service for 10-14 days.
      I work from home and this is not very acceptable to me.

Is it really necessary to cancel and reapply my broadband service? Surely upgrades can take place without disconnecting the line?

If this can't be resolved without lose of service I have decided to do nothing until I have some holiday to take and then swap to BT homeworker package with some guaranteed support. It's more expensive but it seems whenever I have any contact with SKY they **** it up and I loose my service. I had to wait 3 months for my initial installation.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Max package Cancelled in error by Sky

It is hard to see how they can drop you back to 2Mb with no problem or disruption and they can't do the same in reverse.

In saying that, the Sky service is a domestic one and should not be used for business use, if you complain about not being able to use it for business, you are likely to be disconnected completely.
      2.Using Sky Broadband
      (a) Sky Broadband is for private use by you and members of your household only. It must not be used for any commercial or business purpose.
      You should really use a commercial product as you mention in your last para.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is hard to see how they can drop you back to 2Mb with no problem or disruption and they can't do the same in reverse.

In saying that, the Sky service is a domestic one and should not be used for business use, if you complain about not being able to use it for business, you are likely to be disconnected completely.

You should really use a commercial product as you mention in your last para.

There is nothing 'Business' about working from home, Skys T&C's in many areas arent worth the paper their not written on.

Next their be saying it's only for web pages. In fact , why dont they just turn the whole thing off and forget about this new fangled technology!!!

Slim (Starting to get tired of the rubbish coming out of Sky!)

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, I agree.
      Loads of people must be doing at least some work from home.
      It's not like I am hosting a web server, I just send a few emails and search the web occasionally.
      Not sure how an email to my friend is any different to one to my boss.

What I don't mind paying for is quick resolution to any problems.
      I had to wait 3 months for my provision to be completed, I tried to cancel and go with someone else but as they had half provided it, I couldn't.

Now they are suggesting they re-provide my service they accidentally downgraded, I am not filled with confidence!

SKY it seems from my experience is an excellent broadband package for the money as long as it works, as soon as you have a problem you just wished you were with a more sorted outfit.

Anything that requires anything other than re-booting the PC/ Router seems to take weeks to resolve. I am technically minded enough to do that myself.

I find the SKY staff helpful but the support service woeful.

I am tempted now to return to BT even though its more expensive, I only ever had one service problem in 3 years which they resolved in 4 hours.

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Usually, it would be cancelled possibly, but its always possible for strange things to occur (I'd imagine the broadband has dissapeared from the system completely which is why they can't upgrade it).

Also, does this (you may need to register) show any outstanding orders?
      I am not posting officially on behalf of Sky. I am posting individual thoughts and advice.
      Sky Broadband Provisioning: 08705 515 515 - Option 1, Option 1, Option 3

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have made some enquiries and think I might go to UK online, they appear to offer the level of support I expect from a broadband supplier. My time is too valuable to spend hours on the phone and only to discover SKY cannot either fix my problem or when they do take weeks to so. I have had several issues with SKY and all were eventually diagnosed as their errors. Every time I had to be very determined with the patience of a saint to get any progress on the faults.
      Although all the people on the Hekpdesk wanted to be helpful it was clear they either did not have the skills or the systems to resolve anything more than very basic problems.
      UK online say they can transfer my broadband with a downtime of no more than 2 hours. They also allow business use.
      UK online is actually owned by BSKYB, but thankfully I wont be at the mercy of SKY's procedures and helpdesk so that in itself is worth paying extra for.

It still confuses me why I would loose 15 days service upgrading with SKY when switching is only 2 hours max interruption.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fenderchamp View Post
      I have made some enquiries and think I might go to UK online.

Have you considered BE? I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about them and if you're an O2 customer then their rates are much the same as Sky's.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the tip.
      I am a customer of O2, they can offer me 20 meg for 15 but going direct on the BE site they offer 24 meg for 22.
      My main issue with SKY is the pain you have to go through to get any problems resolved.
      Things go wrong thats life and sooner or later you are at the mercy of your providers support network.
      Ideally if a supplier of the service fails and its their problem, I want to be able to phone them and they answer promptly. Then report the problem and have it resolved within 24 hours ideally 48 hours Max.
      SKY appear to focus on solving the easy issues quickly, which is great if thats your problem. Anything that requires a technical solution on their part and it seems to me you can expect to wait a long time and thats if you have the patience to chase them up constantly.

So without any knowledge of O2 support, I am put off taking the O2 offer as I fear I will only to be connected with a support system built on a similar business model to SKY's.

I feel bitter as they also frustrated my retired parents who also have SKY broadband and had to pay a fortune in phone calls repeatedly being asked to reset the router etc. when it was clearly an issue with SKY's network, even to my non-technical parents. It took SKY 3 weeks to reconnect my parents broadband. I feel responsible as I recommended my parents get broadband in the first place.

So I am going to do some research to make sure I get a supplier who has good technical support that I can recommend to my family and friends.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fenderchamp View Post

So without any knowledge of O2 support, I am put off taking the O2 offer as I fear I will only to be connected with a support system built on a similar business model to SKY's.
      That doesn't seem to be the experience reported by customers. I believe O2 have only UK based call centres, freephone 24/7 support number and very short wait times. I also believe they offer a 100 day money back guarantee if you're not happy.

Their 16meg package is 10 the same as Sky's. Is your attenuation low enough to support 20meg? If not then there would be no point in paying the extra.

If I ever decide to leave Sky then O2 would be my first choice, based on what they offer, what I've read, the reputation of the BE network and my knowledge of O2.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks the O2 offer may be the way to go.

However I have now been refused a MAC code from SKY as they say their systems show my broadband as cancelled.
      However there is obviously still a tag on my line as I am still receiving a 2 meg connection from SKY.
      SKY asked me to contact BT wholesale which I did and BT confirm I have a tag and that there is no and has been no cancellation job received by BT.
      BT say its SKY's responsibility.
      So it would appear SKY's software glitch that caused my problem has wiped all SKY's records and shows my line as cancelled but unsurprisingly has failed to issue the cancellation job to BT.
      I am stuck not for the first time in a nether world where I am unable to receive the service I signed up for and SKY refuse to sort a problem of their own making.
      I am looking into making a formal complaint to OFCOM.
      Hopefully they can make SKY realise they have a duty to sort out the mess caused by their mistakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast