Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Bizarre Problem With Broadband And Sky

This is a discussion on Bizarre Problem With Broadband And Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Evenin' fellow Sky users, wondering if you can help. OK, so I've got this very strange problem with my phone ...

gill07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alsager
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Bizarre Problem With Broadband And Sky

Evenin' fellow Sky users, wondering if you can help.

OK, so I've got this very strange problem with my phone line, sometimes I have a dial tone, however other times there is nothing, Furthermore, when the phone rings with an incoming call, it only rings once and thats it.

I have picked up the phone after one ring but the line was unbelievably syatic, and I could barely hear the other person and they could hardly hear me. I also noticed that my Broadband connection disconnected once the incoming call came, and only resetting the router allows the broadband to be connected. I've tried removing all the filters on everything, and plugged the phone into each different filter to see if it was a faulty filter. It wasn't.

I have also plugged the phone in, in isolation using the filter without anything else connected. And the same problem (one ring then cut) still occurs on any incoming calls...

What could be the problem? Don't wanna call out some engineer and pay out when I could do it myself, I need to save money.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Bizarre Problem With Broadband And Sky

Have you a test socket? Could either be a faulty phone or faulty line, can you check the phone against another line or another phone against your line? If you are on BT you can get a line check done on their website.

Monday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWHAY
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Post your stats..using..

Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Not saying it is the same problem, but Glenn (SatDish) had exactly the same problem.

The reason, builders are knocking down old houses and building new ones on his estate and had just cut the old phone cables back to the pole. It was fixed after BT redid the cable to his house, and removing all the cut wires from the pole.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

blondejon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exeter Castle Street
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

i had to help a customer with exactly this problem the other day. It was caused by the transformer that powered his dect cordless phone. Get hold of a working corder hand set and try that and see if the problem resolves itself. Other causes can be faulty equipment plugged into the circuit, sky boxes, fax machines and water in the junction box. At the end of the day though the fault is a pstn (telephony) related one and i would report it to BT 151