Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice Request....

This is a discussion on Advice Request.... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After over 15 years of excellent service from Sky I didnt fear signing up for a new service from them... ...

Jaysun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Mansfield (EMMNSFI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Advice Request....

After over 15 years of excellent service from Sky I didnt fear signing up for a new service from them... I'm now about to enter my third week of the worst customer service I've ever encounted in my life!

Basically my situation is this: after spending the first 2 weeks sorting out the mess up created by Parceline I finally got my router, it appears not to work - I'm a customer service manager for a well known electrical retailer and realise that fault diagnosing is an important part of solving the problem...

so I've got as far as tier 3 technical support which I now seem to be stuck on since wednesday 13th September... my problem just doesnt progress any further than tier 3.

My router powers up, all the lights come on apart from the internet light and I have no internet connection.

I've tried, changing the cables, plugging directly into the main socket (telephone), resetting the box, the tone tests, having a signal sent to the line, pinging the box, loading the box setup screen... and the best one (from good old Sky India) plugging it into a different mains socket

Apparently according to Sky the line is active - does anyone know what might be causing my problems? is the box faulty? I've been there are server problems in some parts of the country but my area isnt affected - then last night I was told it is affected (I live in Nottinghamshire).

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated - dialup internet just isnt practical anymore lol

Thank you

2. Advertisement
      Ex Bt loves Sky BB CS is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I had EXACTLY the same mate.

Turned out that i wasnt active. Nothing happened until i went through to an operations manager at Dunfermeline called Chris Chance, he then got BT to go in exchange to have a look. 6 hours later(after waiting 4 days previous) my internet light came on. I then had awful speeds of 100kbps, i got back to sky, and told them but by now tier 3 were in pieces and miles behind. 2 days later tier 3 "flicked a switch" and boooooooooooooooooom

12mbps!!

It seems when i said i wasnt getting adsl then they capped my line at 100kbps to try and find a fault, HOWEVER as bt had gone in and activated me for sky, skys cap was killing my connection. SECONDS after tier 3 took the cap off i had fast broadband.

Check the thread in "sky unhappyness" forum and you will see what i went through, Seems very similar.

My errors were

Being told i was activated when i had no adsl light on modem
      Then BT going in exchange after Sky operations Manager took ownership of error
      BT activating me but Skys Cap slowing line
      Sky take off cap and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

I would say BT havent activated you for sky at exchange yet. So get Operations Manager to get onto it, hopefully by tonight you will see the internet light.

If your speed is poor get on to tier 3 who will increase it.

THEN come on here and configure router and use TCP Optimiser and you should be flying.

If you just sit there and wait you could be days away from being activated.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Jaysun

Unfortunately this has happened quite a few times I had the same problem and it was all down to the BT engineer messing up in the exchange so after a few calls to BT faults and then one last one to SkyBB Provisioning it was finally sorted.

As for Ex BT loves Sky BB CS comments, oh yes he was very vocal for some time with his problems but in those days he posted as Unregistered ex bt but since he has been sorted out he a very cheerful and happy chappie
      Last edited by Wheelie; 18-09-06 at 10:13 AM.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Thanks

I have no doubt when the thing is finally running I'll be back to being a happy Sky customer.

Through a bizarre and unexpected coincidence today I have received another Sky router - still doesnt work though so it will be a bt problem.

I've spoken to provisions earlier today who have promised to look into it (I've been here before) so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the advice - I'll let you know what happens for other users referance

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Ok good luck and I have all fingers crossed
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Thanks

YAY! I have broadband! lol

I've missed it sooo much

I can only get 5mb download speed where I live - but thats 3mbs more than what I used to have... and more importantly....

I have my broadband back.

Sky phoned me about 10 minutes ago to apologise that I couldnt get the full 16mb (which I already knew I couldnt get)... I didnt even know it was working (I'd only used the pc about 10minutes before sky phoned) - sure enough there it was - the little green internet light on my box that I've never seen before lol

Thanks for the tips everyone

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Thats great news enjoy your new speed
      Ray

click here

Ex Bt loves Sky BB CS is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      have you run the tcp optimiser mate? most people squeeze a few meg more after running it?

Thanks

I'm about to do that.. I'll see what I can squeeze out of the little white box

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Try not to squeeze it to hard or you might break it
      Ray

click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast