Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Hi guys, advice needed badly !!!

This is a discussion on Hi guys, advice needed badly !!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I moved house at the start of the year but the new area I live in doesn't have Sky llu ...

jmcmuk75 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEFN - 1Km - Att 32
      Broadband ISP: Tiscali suck
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Red face Hi guys, advice needed badly !!!

I moved house at the start of the year but the new area I live in doesn't have Sky llu, so I declined the offer of connect. I've just been connected with Tiscali and I think I've made a huge mistake.
      I'm syncd at 8096k on the Tiscali max package and get 7000kb at off peak times, but between 3pm to 10pm my speeds drop to 400k. Theres no way I'm willing to give them 17 per month for that kind of service after having 15mb with Sky.
      So heres my list of questions....

1. I signed up with Tiscali on the 15th, can i still cancel in the cool off period

2. Will I have the same speed problems with Sky

3. How strict are Sky with the 40gb limit.

4. How long am i likely to be without bb if I cancel tonight.

I ask how strickt Sky are on the 40gb cap, I don't download that much on p2p, but if I was to go 5gb over would I get throttled or charged a large ammount.

Many thanks in advance guys, and can I say I'm really sorry that i left Sky

2. Advertisement
      AWW
      AWW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: East Kilbride,WSEKI
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Hi guys, advice needed badly !!!

erm i can answer that on mid sky dont care how much you use on the 40gb limit i much more some months
      - Andrew W -

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The cooling off period will be in Tiscali's T & Cs, you would have to look that up.

I believe BT do throttle some connections, so it is possible you would suffer the same. Although I am surprised that Tiscali throttle, I did not think there were many LLU providers who did. Sky LLu, as you know don't throttle.

You would be on Connect, so overuse could depend on BT. If they charge Sky, they will probably pass it on to you. No one has reported this so far, but it may happen. I would not think any charge would be much more than 60-70p per Gb.

As to how long you would be without BB, well how long is a piece of string. I don't think anyone could say for certain.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mbezik is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

what my friend found with tiscali is if u download between 6pm-11pm u WILL get an email telling u to STOP and if u dont they will throttle u to the point where ud b faster on 56k dailup

jmcmuk75 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEFN - 1Km - Att 32
      Broadband ISP: Tiscali suck
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice, but it looks as though im stuck with tiscali. I had a look at there t&c last night and managed to find a 10 day & a 14 day cooling off period, so no doubt when I phone up today there going to say my cooling off period has passed. I'll have a go saying that they aren't providing the service they staded in the contract, but unless you bandwidth falls below 400kb I dont think they will listen to me.
      Wish me luck anyway, and lets hope Be or Sky unbundle my exchange sometime soon !