Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Noisey line - Slow Speeds

This is a discussion on Noisey line - Slow Speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All I have a netgear DG834GT Router, but im having problems with slow speeds. I have have done all ...

mervin1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01934
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Noisey line - Slow Speeds

Hi All
      I have a netgear DG834GT Router, but im having problems with slow speeds.

I have have done all the checks and even had BT out who told me i have 3mg which i only get a tenth of!!

I have line attenuation of 58 db, so im wondering if the neatgear is good for noisey lines and if not do you suggest an alternative.

Plus i heard you can flash your Sky firmware on the router and use Netgears firmware, is this true and will it improve my speed.

Help!!!!!!

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Noisey line - Slow Speeds

A line attenuation of 58db does not mean your line is noisy, although it could be, it means your line is relatively long. You need to post your router stats so we can see the whole picture. As your using the early netgear router you can use this utility to extract them - then post them here and someone will help.
      Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you plugged in to the Master socket, or using extensions? As Dholdi suggests, take your stats, first from where you normally plug in and then from the TEST socket.

You do have filters properly connected to everything connected to the phone line, including Sky digiboxes?

Go to BT Speedtest enter your phone number then your ADSL username. This will do an official BT speed test and show your present profile. Your ADSL username is <the MAC number of your router, no colons, followed by> @skydsl You can also obtain this from the V1 router by using one of the utilities available on the forum. Bounce or Mognuts. Do this from the Master socket, or prefferably the Test socket, behind the Master faceplate.

Edit I meant to add don't even think of trying to flash your router. New firmware will be available any day which will improve it's performance. You will not get this new firmware if you flash it now.
      Last edited by Isitme; 25-01-08 at 03:56 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

glenhill is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kirkby in Ashfield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you made sure that all master and extension sockets only have wires connected to 2 & 5 in the socket. I did this quite early on when first used ADSL and got quite a good speed increase and less line issues.