Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

512kps Down on a Max package.

This is a discussion on 512kps Down on a Max package. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme If you mean Ofcom, they are trying to force ISPs not to use meaningless terms like ...

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: 512kps Down on a Max package.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you mean Ofcom, they are trying to force ISPs not to use meaningless terms like 'Up to 16Mb', but whether they will be successful is another story.
      What's meaningless about the term 'Up to 16Mb'? I agree with the whole 'Unlimited* (*1GB per month)' gripe or Unlimited* texts (*FUP of 3 per week), neither of which Sky use, but what's wrong with the good old 'Up to'?

Fine, if your line only handles 3.7Mb and a 3.7Mb service is all you want to pay for then you need to find an ISP willing to adopt that business model. But don't try and ban the 'Up to' model simply because it doesn't suit you. Other people are quite happy with it.
      Last edited by MrStabby; 27-01-08 at 01:30 PM. Reason: See Saturday's post below

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
      I agree with the whole 'Unlimited* (*1GB per month)' gripe
      Not sure which ISP you're referring to there but for the avoidance of doubt for any new Sky customer reading this, to date no figure has ever been officially quoted as to what the "fair usage" amount is for Sky's unlimited package (Max).

Unofficially it is thought to be 100gb+ per month although as there has never been a report of Sky enforcing this, who knows? Certainly I've seen posts where people have regularly downloaded this sort of amount with no apparent repercussion.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

What's meaningless about the term 'Up to 16Mb
      It might not be to you or me, but it certainly is to the OP who signed up to an 'Up to 16Mb' and is receiving less than 1Mb. This applies to 1000s of users across the country who are not sufficiently informed that the actual speed may be much much less. I know it states in the 'blurbs' that you might not receive the full speed, but it does not make it clear that the speed may be no where near 16Mbs. A new more meaningful term should be found to describe the present 'Up to' speeds.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I know you mean well trying to defending people's ignorance and laziness, but just look at the Sky website (I'm using Sky as an example of 'best practise' here):

Broadband – Sky Packages

All the download speeds are described as 'Up to' speeds
      To proceed you enter your telephone number into the availability checker which says "Check the Sky Broadband options available to you by entering your BT landline number below, and find out the approximate maximum download speed your telephone should support."
      * For me it states "Your phone line can support download speeds of up to 5 Mb." which is a conservative estimate.
      If the customer were to call in, the sales rep MUST run an availability check before they can even place the order which returns the maximum 'up to' speed, again a conservative estimate. The sales agent must inform the customer of this.

0.5Mb is no more than 16Mb. If the customer was 'promised' 16Mb as you suggest they were in an earlier post then yes, they do have a case, if they can prove it. What's more likely to happen is that Sky will drop them down to the base package at Sky's own cost as goodwill/reputation exposure.

toppam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marlow
      Broadband ISP: BT Total Broadband Option 3
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

There are a couple of issues here:

1. The nonsensical 'UPTO' descriptor used by many ISPs (including Sky), and about which the Regulator has expressed concern but done **** all about. I was conned into getting Sky, checking twice before installation that I would be able to get the Sky Service and once after the dish and box were actually installed. However, the truth only became apparent when I placed the order for Broadband, at which point only the rip-off 'Connect' service was available.

2. The points are well made about checking all your internal cabling before going to BT. I am in more-or-less the same position as Numlock in terms of the noise margin and attenuation, and have had anywhere between 200 (see below) and 1420 kbps downstream; it's currently sitting at about 700. BT want a lot of money if the callout results in their finding a fault on your side of the Master Socket (120 + whatever they charge to fix the fault!!!), and you can only call them in respect of a fault with your voice calls. Despite your line being ADSL enabled, your contract is actually with Sky, and it should be for them to approach BT on your behalf. No surprise that they don't want to do it - it costs them money!

At least you have the ability to drop to the free or 5 service - I am getting crap service and having to pay 17 a month. If they haven't installed LLU in my exchange (Shefford) by the end of the contract period (they said it should be in by Nov 08) I will be going elsewhere.

toppam

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      A new more meaningful term should be found to describe the present 'Up to' speeds.
      The English language needs a new preposition that means "up to, but likely to be nowhere near". As in, "I'm planning to walk from Land's End [insert new preposition here] John O'Groats."

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toppam View Post
      I am getting crap service
      Are you sure? Maybe you're getting the best service possible over your line.

Quote Originally Posted by toppam View Post
      I will be going elsewhere.
      Presumably to reduce the amount you're paying since if you really are on just a crap line it's unlikely that any other ISP will do anything more than Sky have done (assuming Sky have done all the can/will already).

Numlock is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Bit of an off-the cuff remark the regulator business, out of frustration more than anything.

And Toppam, I wouldn't hold you breath, my exchange is LLU enabled and you've seen what I'm getting. Anyways bit of a lottery apparently lol.

Thanks for all the replys anyways, learnt some stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12