Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Nightmare

This is a discussion on Nightmare within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Connection went down last week. Showed connected but nothing would load so I contacted CS. No joy there and made ...

Arfur Pint is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Nightmare

Connection went down last week. Showed connected but nothing would load so I contacted CS. No joy there and made numerous phone calls to CS each time going through the same things until eventually they said would put me through to next level CS. After hanging on phone for 1 hour 20 minutes I gave up and went to cancellations.

Cancellations put me through to Retentions who was very helpful and said would arrange a ring back by CS. This did happen but also no joy in getting me back on net and their last idea suggested was reinstalling Windows.

The problem I got resulted in an error message after using cmd function in DOS box saying either "An error occurred while renewing interface 'Internet': An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket." or "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection: the requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized."

Only having the one PC meant I couldn't try to connect using another computer, until I got hold of a laptop of a friend. The laptop connected so I googled the 2 error messages and found it was a winsock problem straight away. 5 minutes later everything was resolved by me with no thanks to Sky CS.

So:-

Why couldn't Sky CS fix it as the 2 error messages were relayed to them numerous times?

What is a winsock problem anyway and what causes it?
      Last edited by Arfur Pint; 21-01-08 at 10:54 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Nightmare

One more issue as well but I am loathe to contact Sky CS about it based on the performance mentioned above:-

My speed has now halved since I managed to get back online. What has caused that?
      Last edited by Arfur Pint; 21-01-08 at 10:55 PM.

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi if you want to post your stats and let us know how you are connected , someone will help?

Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! How to get your router statistics

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you could connect with the laptop then it is not a Sky issue (I'm not sure about the speed halving, you'd need to go through router stats and so on with the more knowledgable people on here - at a guess, you've possibly been capped to try and resolve the problem).

I'm not a fan of Sky CS whatsoever (and I work there!) but they can't be blamed for not being able to solve technical issues relating to the operating system. They are only responsible for the router onwards. They can try and help you out with some basic troubleshooting on your PC but thats about it
      I am not posting officially on behalf of Sky. I am posting individual thoughts and advice.
      Sky Broadband Provisioning: 08705 515 515 - Option 1, Option 1, Option 3

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Pat View Post
      Hi if you want to post your stats and let us know how you are connected , someone will help?

Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! How to get your router statistics
      ADSL Firmware Version 6.02.01.00
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 1472 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 256 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1472 kbps 256 kbps
      Line Attenuation 57 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 12 db 14 db

I was connceted at over at double the speed I am now. How can I get Sky to uncap me as the line was stable and my problem had nothing to do with my line?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSx View Post
      If you could connect with the laptop then it is not a Sky issue (I'm not sure about the speed halving, you'd need to go through router stats and so on with the more knowledgable people on here - at a guess, you've possibly been capped to try and resolve the problem).

I'm not a fan of Sky CS whatsoever (and I work there!) but they can't be blamed for not being able to solve technical issues relating to the operating system. They are only responsible for the router onwards. They can try and help you out with some basic troubleshooting on your PC but thats about it
      Sorry but that just doesn't wash.

Fact is that any decent ISP is perfectly aware that OS probs can cause connection probs and even Sky utilises Windows OS features to try and solve connection probs. A winsock error (as I found out) relates directly to whether a computer will connect to the net or not so should be covered by Sky CS.

Also it was obvious by the wording of the error messages what the fix was - once I could get an online computer.

Sky CS had me doing plenty of other things with the OS so an obvious error message - with an obvious solution is part of CS skills I would suggest when it relates to the connection an ISP provides.
      Last edited by Arfur Pint; 22-01-08 at 01:17 AM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Sky's TS does not extent to OS specific issues - its not in the training so its not in the remit...simple as that
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Win sock errors dont prevent you from getting onto the internet, they prevent you from getting onto the network.

As your friends laptop connected straight away, it was neither a line issue or a router issue. Therefore, it must have been a pc issue.

Winsock is used by developers, and is found quite deep into the windows infrastructure. Changing the winsock settings can affect things other than connecting to a network/internet, and is therefore, not part of the Sky troubleshooting.

So, just because you think it should be part of Sky's troubleshooting, doesnt mean it will be. The error messages stated issues with the operating system, and therefore, is an OS issue. Sky are not PC support, this was a PC issue, end of.