Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Losing my connection

This is a discussion on Losing my connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You can ping 192.168.0.1 which checks that you are connected to your router and 212.58.224.131 (BBC) to check your connection ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Losing my connection

You can ping 192.168.0.1 which checks that you are connected to your router and 212.58.224.131 (BBC) to check your connection to the internet. I am not certain, I think the Gateway address is the address of the router in the DSLAM in the exchange, so pinging this would only tell you that you were getting to the exchange, not necessarily on to the Net. I stand to be corrected here.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      steveob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01932
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

OK, it's happened again only weirder this time. Nothing from the desktop at all. so, connected my Dell laptop running XP Pro by ethernet cable and both Firefox and IE worked straight away. Pinged the router from both desktop and laptop and got replies. Tried to ping desktop from laptop and vice versa and got "Request timed out". So then tried OE on the desktop for the sake of it and it connected. Then tried IE again, (I usually use Firefox although my other half uses IE), and IE connected. So tried Firefox again for the third time and this time Firefox connected as well. Could it be a glitch in Firefox? I've used it for years though and never had a problem before.

Just surprised that the two machines cannot ping each other which means I cannot share files etc. If a go in to Network Places and try to see the Dell, I get the error message \\Dell 1300 is not accessible.

Any further suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Check you PC LAN card properties, make sure it is not set to be turned off when not used.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Did that the other day Isitme but many thanks for the suggestion. Device manager says that it is working ok. Have to wait for it to happen again now to see if today's symptoms and cures repeat themselves. Still can't understand why I can't ping one PC from the other though.

Thanks

Just another thought. Vista can't display XP machines unless they have LLTD installed. XP MC may be the same, although I have never worked with this OS so I am not really sure. In any case, it would do no harm to download and install LLTD to your PC. If nothing else, they will be ready for connecting to Vista

You can download it from HERE you will need to validate your OS to get it.

It is definitely something in the PC settings which is causing the problem.

Edit - I meant to add, have you tried networking with both machines connected by ethernet, this may give an idea whether it is a wireless problem or not.
      Last edited by Isitme; 22-01-08 at 10:09 PM.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Lost the connection again last night. Laptop connected wirelessly with no problems. So, opened Firefox again and tried one or two bookmarked sites and nothing. On a hunch in Firefox tried the company webmail via exchange server and connected immediately so the PC will connect to the net but on its own terms! Have finally come to the conclusion that it may be the PC and not the router or Sky connection, although I cannot see why I cannot ping the other machine if the router is working correctly.

I ran CCleaner and Spybot and it appeared that I may have had the stration.C worm, don't know how as AV etc is all up to date. Removed the worm but still could not connect.

Will have a look at LLTD but am not running Vista so not sure how it will help.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Thanks

You could try downloading and installing Winsock Repair If you have had a worm, this will repair any alterations it may have made to the system.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Thanks again Isitme for the suggestion. Now beginning to think that it is a DNS problem, as I connect to the exchange server at work with am IP number rather than a name. Unfortunately, it hasn't lost the connection tonight so can't check that out. I will have a look at Winsock Repair, however.

thanks again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12