Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Sagem router does not show fast channel/interleaved status

This is a discussion on New Sagem router does not show fast channel/interleaved status within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have just migrated from zen internet to sky broadband (connect). Due to a long line length to my local ...

Lord_J!M is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Glossop
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New Sagem router does not show fast channel/interleaved status

I have just migrated from zen internet to sky broadband (connect). Due to a long line length to my local exchange (Glossop) I had negotiated with BT (through zen) a target SNR margin of 9 (as oppsosed to 6). This meant I could run in fast channel mode with fewer errors - good for ping times. I was running a Speedtouch 510v4 which could tell me what my margin was and whether or not I was in fast channel or interleaving mode. Now I have a Sagem router from sky and although it can tell me my SNR margin I cannot get any info on the interleaving/fast channel status. Does anyone know how to get this information from a Sagem router?

The point is I dont know if moving to sky connect from zen adsl max has changed my channel mode and target margin and I need some kind of definitive answer. Phoning sky technical help got me a person who didn't know what interleaving was and couldn't tell me anything. I have also emailed sky help but am waiting for a reply. I have heard that sky use interleaving only - but is that only for the LLU service (which I am not on)? What I have noticed is that my ping times are only a little slower than before I moved to sky (5-10ms slower on average) and my SNR margin still hovers around 9, which would suggest that sky have changed nothing, but I just don't know for sure. Any help would be gratefully received as I am finding it hard to gain a definitve answer as to what my line status is.
      Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: New Sagem router does not show fast channel/interleaved status

Sky don't use Fast at all, however if you're on Connect then BT do in cases where the line warrants it. having said that, Sky won't ask BT to do it as its nothing to do with them...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Chances are its still on fast then. I find it odd that Sky wont deal with BT as how can the end user get BT to change something if not through their ISP? How do Sky users get BT to do anything? With Zen I would call them up and they would put a request through to BT if they felt it was warranted - but Zen customer service and support is just about the best you can get. But they cost 25 a month for 8meg 20Gb limit.
      There seems to be little info on cracks and the like for the Sagem router. The Netgear v2 has already been cracked. Looks like I'll have to wait until the Sagem is sussed before I can gain the full info on my line.

Thanks

will take a while for that, different password algorithm...

Sky will log a fault to BT, (eg. slow connection) but ive not heard of one going through to reconfigure line as such. im sure it could be done though...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Maybe the answer is right there in fromt of me! Join a helpful ISP like Zen until they've got your line just how you want it (should take a couple of months at the most). Then ask for your MAC code and get Sky broadband at cheaper prices with a line that's been ready configured!

Thanks

hit the nail on head right there...

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just received the reply from sky help. It reads as follows:

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.

As you are on the Connect Package which means we rent your Broadband connection from BT, in most cases these customers are on Fastpath. We are unable to check this information but can only assume this has not been changed from your previous ISP.

Kind regards

Thomas
      Sky Broadband Technical Support
      Sky

Interesting to note the difference between Connect and LLU (fastpath as opposed to interleaved). Also shows that if you email Sky you get a reasonably fast response from someone who knows what they are talking about (as opposed to phoning). Disappointing that they are unable to check line status. Replace 'unable' with 'can't be bothered' perhaps?

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      Sky will log a fault to BT, (eg. slow connection) but ive not heard of one going through to reconfigure line as such. im sure it could be done though...
      They did it for me back in the early days when I was on connect (oct 06). Unfortunately I went the wrong way from fast to inter due to me complaining about poor dl speeds which, in my ignorance at the time, was due to shaping and not using encryption.

I never could get them to put it back, probably because they would have to pay bt to do it and llu was imminent

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Just a thought, have you tried plugging in your old router and looking at it's stats? It will not connect obviously, but it should sync and may report your line state.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Grimly Fiendish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: New Sagem router does not show fast channel/interleaved status

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      will take a while for that, different password algorithm...

Of course Sky can do that and get BT to reconfigure the line but only if their is a fault if the service is within the parameters set by BT for that product then they likely wont - the original poster just got through to someone who didnt know how how to raise a fault to BT I guess. The fact they resell BB over a BT product set is neither here nor there and if I was Zen I certainly wouldnt be doing it for a customer who left them.

Contact Sky and insist that they resolve this issue is what I would do.

Grimly Fiendish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast