Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Filtered Master Socket

This is a discussion on Filtered Master Socket within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have just moved to a new property, and signed up for sky broadband. The new house has a ...

Thingy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunfermline
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Filtered Master Socket

Hi,

I have just moved to a new property, and signed up for sky broadband.

The new house has a master socket with an RJ11 connection on it (in the dinning room), when i connect the router to this socket i have a connection of about 3.1 meg (I'm on connect and just over 2 miles form the exchange)but i have to connect to the router wireless.

I would like to connect the router to another socket (where the PC is) and after contacting sky i was advised to use a rj11 to pstn adapter without a microfilter.

Having followed there advice, i can only connect my router to the phone line or it drops connection, but even with only the router plugged in i can now only receive a connection of 160k!

Is there any easy way round getting a decent connection, but not using the wireless ?

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Filtered Master Socket

I'm assuming that you've got an ADSL filtered faceplate - with a BT-style phone socket and a RJ45 connector. Presumably the person you spoke to at Sky didn't appreciate that fact. With a filtered faceplate, the only place you can get the ADSL signal is at the master socket. All the extension sockets in the house will have gone through a low-pass filter which means that you'll get little, if any, ADSL signal at those points.

If you want the ADSL signal to be available at a different location, you'll have to install a dedicated ADSL extension, assuming your ADSL faceplate has the facility for wiring in such an extension.

But in all honesty, you'd be better off putting the router next to the master socket, and running a long Ethernet cable to the PC.

Edit: I have no idea why I started this message with "I'm assuming..." because you said you have a filtered faceplate in the subject line of this. Suffice to say that my attention was been shared between the PC and TV. Frankly, given the result, I wish I hadn't bothered putting the TV on.
      Last edited by James67; 16-01-08 at 10:59 PM.

Thingy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunfermline
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your quick reply James, however the option or running a cable is not going to happen, the wife just wont allow it ( im under there).

Is it possible for this faceplate to be changed or bypassed in any way, and would it alter the speed of my connection?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You might be able to switch the ADSL pre-filter plate out for a standard master face plate, this would put you back to a standard line situation.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As James suggested, look inside the face plate and see if you have the option to convert your existing phone extension to an dedicated ADSL extension. Fitting a normal faceplate would be a step backwards and I can almost guarantee that you connection will suffer.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.