Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I hate Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on I hate Sky Broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; the test socket makes no difference as my main socket is wired the exact same way. I don't understand this ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: I hate Sky Broadband

the test socket makes no difference as my main socket is wired the exact same way.
      I don't understand this either. The Test socket is hidden behind the faceplate of the Master socket, apart from the incoming line there should be no wires attached to it and no other socket should be wired the same. I don't want to upset you more than you are, but are you certain you tried the Test socket. It is accessed by removing the two screws in the front plate of the master socket and easing the plate off. Until you have eliminated the internal wiring it is pointless complaining to BT.

You could try doing a quiet line test on the line, to do this plug a single phone directly into the Test socket and dial 17070, select option 2 and listen. The line should be completely quiet. If you hear any noise at all phone BT and tell them you have noise on your line. Do not mention Sky Broadband or they will do nothing. As far as they are concerned you are calling about a noisy voice line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      xangma is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't understand this either. The Test socket is hidden behind the faceplate of the Master socket, apart from the incoming line there should be no wires attached to it and no other socket should be wired the same. I don't want to upset you more than you are, but are you certain you tried the Test socket. It is accessed by removing the two screws in the front plate of the master socket and easing the plate off. Until you have eliminated the internal wiring it is pointless complaining to BT.

You could try doing a quiet line test on the line, to do this plug a single phone directly into the Test socket and dial 17070, select option 2 and listen. The line should be completely quiet. If you hear any noise at all phone BT and tell them you have noise on your line. Do not mention Sky Broadband or they will do nothing. As far as they are concerned you are calling about a noisy voice line.
      Ok, maybe I don't know enough about the master socket then. I had previously removed unneeded wires from the normal socket, and by doing that I thought that made it the same as the master socket but maybe I read wrong.

That is a good idea. I shall try the noise on the line thing. Is that the only problem that can arise on BT's side of the ... problem? If that makes any sense?

EDIT: IAmNotTheEnemy - TPS? What's that? And yes there have been a few tickets =P

EDIT2: Just did the line test, and I couldn't hear much so I put it on loudspeaker and all I could hear was a constant static sound. Like a TV. That's it.
      Last edited by xangma; 15-01-08 at 11:05 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

if you've having confusion over the test socket, see the link about master sockets in my sig...

as for a TPS, its a process of moving you from one port at the exchange end equipment to another one - is normally used if someone cant connect at all but can also be done in circumstances where connection is very erratic regardless of speed...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      if you've having confusion over the test socket, see the link about master sockets in my sig...

as for a TPS, its a process of moving you from one port at the exchange end equipment to another one - is normally used if someone cant connect at all but can also be done in circumstances where connection is very erratic regardless of speed...
      Nah, I have done all the master socket stuff, i'm not really that confused. I know what it is and where it is. So ...

Ok sounds like a good plan, how do I get it done? I mean, you understand my situation, it doesn't sound like there's much noise on the line, they've capped my at a stupidly low speed but I can't fob my way past Teir 1 =(

Thanks

actually, there IS noise on the line - the CRC errors should be zero (or there abouts) so there is still something going on with your line at your end...are the stats posted from the test socket? if not give it a blast in there over night and then see how it goes...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      actually, there IS noise on the line - the CRC errors should be zero (or there abouts) so there is still something going on with your line at your end...are the stats posted from the test socket? if not give it a blast in there over night and then see how it goes...
      Well i've only just hooked up to the test socket, I will leave it there all night to see if the problem is my end. Thanks for your help, sorry if I come across a bit difficult, it's just this has been going on for months now.

Will post the new stats tomorrow night.

Thanks

no probs, hopefully it'll show no crc errors and then it'll show wiring your end at fault which is nice and easy to fix!!

then you can get the cap off and enjoy the sort of speeds you should be!!

pscocoa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0127632742
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I think you may find that BT will not speak to you - they will say that it is an ISP matter and when you speak to the ISP they will say that line speed or whatever is the best they can do and ask you to speak to BT as that is where the restricitons lie.

I have just had this experience making the point to BT that I pay them for the line so they should give me some answers - they just will not as what they call BT Wholesale will not speak to ordinary subscribers and whilst I managed to get the phone number and got through - the guy on the other end reckoned he could lose his job in speaking to me. What is totlally wrong and needs to go to OFTEL or whatever the name is these days is that BT said if my ISP was BT they could help me!!

This is anticompetitve practice.

My main ISP is Orange which is extremely reliable but slow - just 1 mbps apparently because I live a number of light years from the exchange.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that news =( I will try my damned hardest though to resolve this issue!

New Stats:

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 352 Kbps, Downstream rate = 2880 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 28.4 13.0
      Attn(dB): 32.0 22.0
      Pwr(dBm): 17.4 0.4
      Max(Kbps): 6560 1120
      Rate (Kbps): 2880 352
      G.dmt framing
      K: 91(0) 12
      R: 16 16
      S: 2 16
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 91 12
      M: 2 16
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 2.1739 17.2307
      L: 736 104
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 3145947 3145945
      SFErr: 0 0
      RS: 106962228 13370266
      RSCorr: 0 16
      RSUnCorr: 0 0

HEC: 0 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 363270379 0
      Data Cells: 2327570 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 2111 0
      SES: 1199 0
      UAS: 511 0
      Total time = 1 days 23 hours 20 min 44 sec
      SF = 9976375
      CRC = 44416
      LOS = 590
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2111
      Latest 1 day time = 23 hours 20 min 44 sec
      SF = 4921464
      CRC = 39911
      LOS = 44
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1541
      Latest 15 minutes time = 5 min 44 sec
      SF = 20290
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
      SF = 5054911
      CRC = 4505
      LOS = 546
      LOF = 0
      ES = 570
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52931
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52989
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Called Sky today. Finally got someone who actually knew their stuff in Teir 1 and went straight to check my previous tickets. Talked to some dude in customer services and he had a look at my connection and saw I was having some issues with it. He said I should be able to get a whopping 14mb, but then proceeded to cap me even lower than 3mb at 2.4mb to monitor my connection till the new router he ordered me arrives.

What do you think?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast