Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Good speed on router, lousy speed in reality?

This is a discussion on Good speed on router, lousy speed in reality? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I received a new Sagem router from Sky today to replace a Netgear unit that was constantly disconnecting. The ...

Fraser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lizard
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Good speed on router, lousy speed in reality?

Hi
      I received a new Sagem router from Sky today to replace a Netgear unit that was constantly disconnecting. The connection seems very stable so far, but I have a problem I hope someone here could help me with. When I check the router info I get:

Down speed: 8128 kbps
      Up speed: 448 kbps
      Attenuation Down: 9.0db
      Attenuation Up: 3.5db
      Noise Margin Down: 11.6db
      Noise Margin Up: 23.0db

These all look good to me, but whenever I run a broadband speed test the maximum down rate I can get is around 1.2 Mbps, and up is around 350 kbps.

Does this sound right? I am on the Connect package @ 17/month, on the Lizard exchange which I believe should be good up to nearly 8Mbps.

I called Sky and all the tech could say was that it was because I'm using an extension line from where the BT line enters the house. I'd test it at point of entry but it's an old style box with a wire going in one side and the extension wire coming out the other. Could this be the problem, do you think?

I intend to replace the point-of-entry box with a modern one and test it there if I don't have any luck, but what I'm wondering is could an extension really make that much difference? I've tried wired and wireless and both are much the same.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!
      Thanks,
      Fraser

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Good speed on router, lousy speed in reality?

As you say your figures are very good and should give you the maximum available. They are quite correct in saying that an extension can cause problems, but if it is hardwired and of reasonable quality it should not be so bad. As a 'quick fix', until you replace the box you could try disconnecting all the wires from inside the sockets except those on Terminals 2 and 5. Terminal 3 is the ring wire and is the one which causes lots of problems. Provided you are using filters on all your sockets there will be no problem as these full fill the function of the ring wire.

As you are on Connect you can use the official BT speedtester, Go to Test Result enter your phone number then your ADSL username. This will do an official BT speed test and show your present profile. Your ADSL username is <the MAC number of your router, no colons, followed by> @skydsl

You should be able to use this report when phone Sky, but it will depend on who takes your call as Sky TS do not seem to be trained for Connect customers. This tester is always busy, it could take several attempts to get on.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the tips! I've tried logging in to the BT speed test several times using the MAC address like you suggested, but it always reports an error.
      Anyway, I'll look into things further tomorrow. Thanks again.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
      Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!
      Looking at your attenuation you must live in the telephone exchange!

It is just possible that your previous (faulty?) Netgear router has caused the BT equipment in the exchange to "train" incorrectly. There is a thread somewhere describing a method to fix this yourself.

If I remember correctly you need to plug a telephone into your line WITHOUT an ADSL filter, either into an extension or a splitter if you don't have an extension. This generates additional noise and forces the BT equipment to relearn your line when the router is rebooted.

Let it run like this for a couple of hours, then put the ADSL filters back correctly and reboot the router again. I know this worked for a couple of Connect users so it might be worth a try.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Good speed on router, lousy speed in reality?

Thanks for the idea, eyemdee -- the weird thing is that I've woken up this morning to a down speed of 6.2 Mbps

I have no idea what caused it to jump up overnight, but I'm not complaining and will just monitor it for the next few days.

And yeah, if I threw a stone I could probably hit the exchange!

Thanks again,
      Fraser

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
      the weird thing is that I've woken up this morning to a down speed of 6.2 Mbps

I have no idea what caused it to jump up overnight
      That's the way Connect works. It takes a clear 3 days of higher sync before it triggers an increase in the BRAS profile (download/upload speed).