Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Broadband only connects when I use phone?

This is a discussion on Broadband only connects when I use phone? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Help please !! I have had Sky Broadband (8mb package) for several months without any problems. I connect via an ...

skydude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Orpington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Broadband only connects when I use phone?

Help please !!

I have had Sky Broadband (8mb package) for several months without any problems. I connect via an ethernet cable. A few days ago I couldn't connect (Sagem router....black type without aerial with on/off power button).

My PC was saying I was connected (two little PC's in the bottom right corner of taskbar were there) and when I clicked on these it showed connected with how many minutes it had been on. The light on the router that normally flashes orange then goes green wasn't coming on at all.

When I tried again later in the day it connected fine. Then that evening it wouldn't so I rang Sky. As I was on the phone the orange light on router kicked into life and it connected. The guy at Sky said he had checked my line and it was showing it was connected his end before it started working for me.

Then the next day it wouldnt connect again. As I was waiting on the phone to Sky it came to life again?

It appears the router is only coming to life when I use the phone, I fiddled about for ages changing to another router and checking connections without any luck before and this never worked.

Any ideas anyone, this is driving me mad? If anyone does reply please don't get too technical as I only have basic knowledge of these things.

thanks everyone.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Broadband only connects when I use phone?

Thats normally a fault at exchange, can you check your filter position on the telephone socket and if possible change it for a new one. You will need to call Sky TS again and explain to them that the ADSL is only active on the line while you are using the phone and it drops again as soon as the call ends.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Thats normally a fault at exchange, can you check your filter position on the telephone socket and if possible change it for a new one. You will need to call Sky TS again and explain to them that the ADSL is only active on the line while you are using the phone and it drops again as soon as the call ends.
      Ok thanks for the reply. The internet connection does stay on after I have put the phone down, it appears the phonecall is kicking it into life?

kpax88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Connect the router into the master socket with a diff microfilter, and disconnect the phoneline... this will determine if the phone is causing the issue.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kpax88 View Post
      Connect the router into the master socket with a diff microfilter, and disconnect the phoneline... this will determine if the phone is causing the issue.
      I have spoken to Sky and BT. BT have tested the line and there isn't a fault with that.

When I spoke to Sky he got me to connect the router into the master socket, when I done this the router appeared to work fine (ie i got the flashing orange then green light). Couldn't properly test if I could connect as my PC isn't wireless and the ethernet cable won't stretch that far.

He said I shouldn't plug the router into other phone sockets, I should only use the master socket, as the other ones are only designed to take phone connections? Does that sound right to you?

I have never had a problem before and surely the master BT socket is only designed for phone calls anyway?

Or could it just be a fault has occured on the non-master BT socket?

Same thing happened again just now, I couldn't connect so rang a freephone number and a while later the router connected.....weird !!

Exchange:
      Thanks

You should in theory only plug into your master socket as there is no guarantee on how well the extensions are working and as they can act as giant noise traps you could in fact be pulling a lot of noise and interference onto your lin with them.
      If you plug into the main socket and the issue goes away then the issue is probably with the extension. The BT master socket is the same as all telephone sockets on the line it carries the signal from the line onto your telephony equipment, the adsl signal is transmitted down the same line as the voice telephony signal so it carries both.
      Get hold of a long ethernet or try to connect wirelessy if you know someone with an adaptor etc you can borrow, if the issue is gone then look to your extensions for issues.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You should in theory only plug into your master socket as there is no guarantee on how well the extensions are working and as they can act as giant noise traps you could in fact be pulling a lot of noise and interference onto your lin with them.
      If you plug into the main socket and the issue goes away then the issue is probably with the extension. The BT master socket is the same as all telephone sockets on the line it carries the signal from the line onto your telephony equipment, the adsl signal is transmitted down the same line as the voice telephony signal so it carries both.
      Get hold of a long ethernet or try to connect wirelessy if you know someone with an adaptor etc you can borrow, if the issue is gone then look to your extensions for issues.
      thats a pain. I dont want to go wireless as i have security concerns with wireless connections, and i don't really want a long ethernet cable across the floor either !!!

Its strange that it has just happened, i was getting a fast connection before and never had problems connecting....why the non-master socket would just develop a fault seems strange to me......especially as once it does connect it works fine.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Connecting via long ethernet or wireless would only be temporary as it is to try to isolate the fault so it can be resolved Once fixed you might be able to go back to your normal setup. Things break/ degrade over time and sometimes it doesn't take much for them to play up.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connecting via long ethernet or wireless would only be temporary as it is to try to isolate the fault so it can be resolved Once fixed you might be able to go back to your normal setup. Things break/ degrade over time and sometimes it doesn't take much for them to play up.
      I've now connected via long ethernet cable to master socket and connection works however about half the speed it used to be (now 3mb used to get 5-6mb).

When I did manage to get the non-master socket to work again that was only coming out as 350k, a massive drop in speed !!!!

How would I get the non-master socket fixed then? It was only installed a few months ago and has worked fine upto now. The problem I also have is after getting that socket installed I have since plastered and decorated the room and laid new carpets.....don't fancy having to lift floorboards now.

Are there specific bt sockets you can fit that are designed for broadband connections?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I take it you mean your router is now plugged into the master socket with a filter via the Sky supplied grey cable and the long ethernet cable is going from router to PC? If so you may need to give it time to settle, does your master socket have a physical line just above the screws running left to right? If so unscrew the 2 screws and drop the front off the socket, there will be a hidden test socket, plug the filter into that and plug the router in to the filter. Then try the connection again (give it time to settle) and see if anything changes.
      If BT fitted the extensions then they cover them against faults for a fixed period and if the master socket is faulty then that is there property to fix anyway. You must be sure where the fault sits though before calling BT. If you have a test socket this is the ideal way to test where the fault is.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast