Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Broadband only connects when I use phone?

This is a discussion on Broadband only connects when I use phone? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Yes....as I said.....but the wires {except 2 & 5} need to be disconnected inside all sockets. And don't forget to ...

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Broadband only connects when I use phone?

Yes....as I said.....but the wires {except 2 & 5} need to be disconnected inside all sockets. And don't forget to check your filters, they're the most likely culprits.
      Last edited by greyrider; 15-01-08 at 08:47 AM.

2. Advertisement
      skydude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Orpington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greyrider View Post
      Yes....as I said.....but the wires {except 2 & 5} need to be disconnected inside all sockets. And don't forget to check your filters, they're the most likely culprits.
      Is changing the wiring likely to make any difference? I've never had problems before and always got around a 6mb connection via extension socket without ever having problems connecting.

Now connecting router to master socket via ethernet cable I'm only getting 600k, I've swapped filters around as well.

I'm sure there's a fault at Sky or BT end but they are saying no !!!

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Until you get the wiring as it should be then you will not be able to force anything with Sky. BT don't care about adsl services provided by other companies and only have to ensure that the voice service works on the line. Get the wiring sorted, check the filters and see if anything changes, when you switch the filters make sure you unplug the router completely for a few mins to get it off the network, may help.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Until you get the wiring as it should be then you will not be able to force anything with Sky. BT don't care about adsl services provided by other companies and only have to ensure that the voice service works on the line. Get the wiring sorted, check the filters and see if anything changes, when you switch the filters make sure you unplug the router completely for a few mins to get it off the network, may help.
      How do I get the wiring sorted though, do you mean get an engineer around to check them?

Your right about BT, they had no interest in helping me when I mentioned the internet connection they just told me to speak to Sky.

Not sure if you know the answer to this. When I spoke to Sky yesterday the guy said he would alter the speed I could get to as it was too low, however since he done that its even slower......is it worth trying to get them to change the speed again?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As you have a Version 1 router, it may be advisable to post your detailed stats (read link below). These may give someone an idea of what is happening and will show how many errors your line is generating. As I said earlier, with an old type box the only way you can be sure any errors are in the main line and not your extensions, is to temporarily disconnect the extensions. If you try this, make a note of where the wires fit so that they can be replaced correctly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      As you have a Version 1 router, it may be advisable to post your detailed stats (read link below). These may give someone an idea of what is happening and will show how many errors your line is generating. As I said earlier, with an old type box the only way you can be sure any errors are in the main line and not your extensions, is to temporarily disconnect the extensions. If you try this, make a note of where the wires fit so that they can be replaced correctly.

Ok will try that. Finally managed to get through to someone at Sky who was really helpful. Apparently the guy I spoke to yesterday capped my broadband speed to 630k !!! Sky were adamant that was the best speed I could get, so after explainging that I regularly got close to 6mb he put me through to another bloke who increased the line for me.....now getting 4.4mb !!!

Why he lowered the speed I don't know? Havent tried using the extension again yet.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Because they may be seeing errors?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Because they may be seeing errors?

so if they see errors they lower the speed? Wish Sky told me that yesterday as that would have saved me a lot of time

He got me to play a youtube video why i was on the phone and he said he couldn't see any errors this time.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Post up the stats Isitme asked for and we can see what is going on, small ammounts of errors aren't an issue but if you call in for problem and Sky CST see large numbers of cotinuous errors then they may well cap you to stabilise the line and get rid of the errors from it.
      If you can improve the line or just get it to the point where the errors reduce then they can remove or re-configure the cap.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Post up the stats Isitme asked for and we can see what is going on, small ammounts of errors aren't an issue but if you call in for problem and Sky CST see large numbers of cotinuous errors then they may well cap you to stabilise the line and get rid of the errors from it.
      If you can improve the line or just get it to the point where the errors reduce then they can remove or re-configure the cap.
      I'll do the detialed ones when I can get a chance.

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 6:07:51

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 19059 18765 0 0 0 2:57:18
      LAN 42934 45675 0 0 0 6:07:51
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 6:07:29
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5120 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 43.0 db 26.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.0 db 13.0 db

Poll Interval: (secs)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast