Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Broadband only connects when I use phone?

This is a discussion on Broadband only connects when I use phone? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have seen this type of fault reported on the forum before. In all cases it was caused by a ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Broadband only connects when I use phone?

I have seen this type of fault reported on the forum before. In all cases it was caused by a faulty connection, either in the house sockets or the external line. The only way to narrow this is to do as Paul suggests and try the Test Socket.

It is possible to have a dedicated ADSL socket, for broadband, but this involves hardwiring to an ADSL faceplate, which you may not want to explore at the moment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      skydude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Orpington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      I take it you mean your router is now plugged into the master socket with a filter via the Sky supplied grey cable and the long ethernet cable is going from router to PC? If so you may need to give it time to settle, does your master socket have a physical line just above the screws running left to right? If so unscrew the 2 screws and drop the front off the socket, there will be a hidden test socket, plug the filter into that and plug the router in to the filter. Then try the connection again (give it time to settle) and see if anything changes.
      If BT fitted the extensions then they cover them against faults for a fixed period and if the master socket is faulty then that is there property to fix anyway. You must be sure where the fault sits though before calling BT. If you have a test socket this is the ideal way to test where the fault is.
      yes, router into master socket (with filter) and long ethernet cable from router into PC. My speed has dropped from the 3mb I was getting earlier to 600k now !!!

I will have a go using the test socket as you have suggested. A mate of mine fitted the other phone sockets.

If it transpires the test socket is far quicker are BT responsible to come out and check the master socket for a fault?
      Last edited by skydude; 14-01-08 at 08:28 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I have seen this type of fault reported on the forum before. In all cases it was caused by a faulty connection, either in the house sockets or the external line. The only way to narrow this is to do as Paul suggests and try the Test Socket.

It is possible to have a dedicated ADSL socket, for broadband, but this involves hardwiring to an ADSL faceplate, which you may not want to explore at the moment.
      Just taken the cover off the master socket and theres no test socket....we had building work done a few years ago and thinking back they had to move the BT socket, I guess, as its a nice gleaming white master socket, they changed it. Doh !!!

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

You mentioned "other sockets". Do you have filters in place for all connected telephones as well as your Sky box? You could also try replacing your filter - try disconnecting every device except the router and then swapping filters around and see if the fault goes. Also, as a matter of course, have you pulled all wires excepting connections 2 & 5 - DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help - always worth doing anyway.

Thanks

If it transpires the test socket is far quicker are BT responsible to come out and check the master socket for a fault?
      No unfortunately this means that the fault is on your side of the phone line so it is up to you to get it fixed at your cost. On the bright side, if it is much quicker and stable in the test socket then it is relatively simple to fix. If you still have problems, then it is in the main phone line at fault, which is much more difficult to trace and fix.

If you don't have a test socket the only way to check is to disconnect your extensions and see if there is an improvement. Disconnecting the ring wire from terminal 3 can often be a quick and easy way to cure noisy extension wiring. The ADSL filter replaces the function of the ring wire, so your phones will still ring, even if they are very old types.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greyrider View Post
      You mentioned "other sockets". Do you have filters in place for all connected telephones as well as your Sky box? You could also try replacing your filter - try disconnecting every device except the router and then swapping filters around and see if the fault goes. Also, as a matter of course, have you pulled all wires excepting connections 2 & 5 - DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help - always worth doing anyway.
      I have two other telephone sockets, master one is in the hall way and I had two put in my living room (either ends of the room). All sockets have filters on them. My PC is in the living room. The 2 & 5 wires have been taken out as well.

I will try swapping the filters about to see if that helps.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No unfortunately this means that the fault is on your side of the phone line so it is up to you to get it fixed at your cost. On the bright side, if it is much quicker and stable in the test socket then it is relatively simple to fix. If you still have problems, then it is in the main phone line at fault, which is much more difficult to trace and fix.

If you don't have a test socket the only way to check is to disconnect your extensions and see if there is an improvement. Disconnecting the ring wire from terminal 3 can often be a quick and easy way to cure noisy extension wiring. The ADSL filter replaces the function of the ring wire, so your phones will still ring, even if they are very old types.
      Your losing me slightly...not sure what you mean by "disconnecting the ring wire from terminal 3"...i assume thats the wiring in the master socket? Is it ok to leave this wire disconnected then?

Thanks

The 2 & 5 wires have been taken out as well.
      If this has been done and the phone still works, then it has been wired incorrectly, as these are the main wires. All the wires except these should be removed.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If this has been done and the phone still works, then it has been wired incorrectly, as these are the main wires. All the wires except these should be removed.
      sorry, my mistake, only wires 2,4 and 5 are connected in the master socket...i know my mate removed some wires, thought it was the ones you were talking about.

Thanks

It might be worth checking. Only 2 and 5 are required, if there is another one, take it off. It might make all the difference.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast