Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New BB customer - contant connection drop-outs - Help!

This is a discussion on New BB customer - contant connection drop-outs - Help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; New post... Re: DG934G Source Code No nagging wife, just a nagging 16-year old... Anyway, thanks for the offer of ...

Blubber_Boy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 023
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New BB customer - contant connection drop-outs - Help!

New post...

Re: DG934G Source Code

No nagging wife, just a nagging 16-year old...

Anyway, thanks for the offer of help (assuming you WERE offering). I'm pretty sure my previous providers offered speeds up to 8Mb, though I doubt I ever got anything like that. I've always used a Netgear DG834GT router which was plugged into a telephone extension socket in my son's bedroom (as my Sky DG934 router now is). As previously stated with the previous suppliers I had next to no problems with exactly the same physical set-up.

Since joining Sky I get drop-outs about five times each evening, though a router reboot always gets it back. The router stats are as follows (hope you can read them OK). Let me know if there's anything else I can give you to help:

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 06:17:33
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 63758 82742 0 312 4390 06:14:49
      LAN 100M/Full 2439 0 0 24 0 06:17:29
      WLAN 11M/54M 84326 66396 0 4430 330 06:17:15
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6752 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33 db 9 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 14 db

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: New BB customer - contant connection drop-outs - Help!

to me your stats look healthy, i would have thought you would connect a little higher as your attenuation and noise margin are good.

the above and the fact you mention using an extention both point to some internal wiring problems, you could have a look at the cabling and faceplate forum for tips on how to improve you wiring
      also you could do a comarison set of stats from the BT test socket (behind face plate of your master socket - see first link in my sig) which would rule out your internal wiring

also if you have a look at the link in my sig about router stats explained it will shed some light on the drops during the evening (its along the lines of more people use the internet during the evening which will cause line noise, coupled with your posible internal wiring could be causing the drop outs due to failing noise margins)

i have waffled on a bit (some others on here are much better at getting to the point and also explaining things better, unfortunatly you have me at the mo )

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Don't be too hard on yourself. This is all good information.

I'd seen tips on checking internal wiring before but the only reason I hadn't bothered was because the same physical set-up worked fine with my other suppliers. Then again, I guess if Sky have more subscribers logging on than other suppliers that would mean more line noise so could expose any frailties in my wiring, maybe? I think I might also try plugging the router into the main BT socket and see how that compares.

Also, I read somewhere that Sky's servers don't have sufficient capacity to dish out sufficient IP addresses at peak times, in which case I guess I have to live with it until they upgrade their hardware.

I suspect that a combination of both the above is what's causing the problems. Would have been nice to have been able to try the old router though...

Thanks again.

Martin

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

On my previous BT 2mb connection I ever had any problems, as soon as I went to Skys 8mb I had the same problem as you regular disconnections, it turned out to be poor extension wiring, I believe the faster the speed the more noise is generated. You need to check to see if there is a test socket behind the face plate of your master socket if so plug in there and see if you get the same problem because removing the face plate disconnects the extension wiring isolating the fault to external line probs or internal wiring.
      My attenuation is similar to yours and I sync at a full 8mb, thats now the wiring is sorted out and for the last 12 month's I've never had problems connecting to Sky peak times or other!
      Last edited by Koala5; 13-01-08 at 11:25 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the tips. These responses do seem to point to a wiring issue. I'll try it and see.

beastlie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: great barr
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

old bb customer constant connection drop-outs - Help!

hello

i am having a night mare my bb disconnects every time i get a call or pick the phone up or when it feels like it.
      Is there any one who can help i have had bt out today they said there is nothing wrong with the line but he changed my socket any way as the connections were corroded but no improvement it is still doing it.
      I have tried 6 microfilters and sometimes apart from today when the engineer was here the line is really noisy i will post my stats below

System Up Time 100:06:35
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 2901 4225 0 748 5624 00:12:03
      LAN 10M/100M 19498 0 0 10 0 100:06:33
      WLAN 11M/54M 8634805 6780845 0 11453 4987 100:06:23

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1376 kbps 352 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.8 db 8.0 db

I hope someone can help it is much apreciated if you can
      thanks Adam

oh yeah there is only one socket in the house

Hugh72 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: broadstone, dorset
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Folks, I discovered back in December I had the same disconnecting issue which through searching the forums I replaced it it with the Maplin dual adsl/bt faceplate and the dodgy wiring we had between the master socket (originally blanked off) and the 10mtr 'heath robinson' extension was causing this. now my sky router lives behind the sofa and occasionally locks up due to the UPNP bug.. but i'd still like to use my Draytek 2800vg+ with 3G usb dongle and my work lan VPN/data centre connection so I'll be investigating the 'other' route sometime soon.