Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Connect - is it throttled if so any other ISP which doesn't

This is a discussion on Sky Connect - is it throttled if so any other ISP which doesn't within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello Folks As per my previous posting I will shortly be moving from Sky BB Max to an exchange in ...

Forthpalm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wisbech
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Connect - is it throttled if so any other ISP which doesn't

Hello Folks

As per my previous posting I will shortly be moving from Sky BB Max to an exchange in England which has no LLU.

I quite fancy the Sky Connect service ("sam knows" says i should get above 6.5Mbps) but a lot of unlimited isp's appear to have traffic shaping or "throttling" if a user downloads to much?

Can anyone confirm if sky connect do indeed throttle dowload speeds between peak hours and if so are there any ips's (not llu providers) who provide a constant download speed with no throttling?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks in advance.

Andy

2. Advertisement
      Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect - is it throttled if so any other ISP which doesn't

Hi, as connect is a rebranded Bt product it is indeed throttled , dont know about any other isp providers, but am sure someone on here will know

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Virgin taffic shape their network and if you are considered a "high" user in peak times you will be throttled back considerably.

As been said BT and BT rebadged products such as Sky connect are traffic shaped.

Is Sky offering connect at your new exchange, because I thought the only did that to exchanged that they would be getting round in to in the near future.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky only offer Sky Broadband Connect for 5/month at exchanges which are likely to be LLU'd soon. At exchanges which they're not planning to LLU in the immediate future, they'll still offer Sky Broadband Connect, although at 17/month.

I doubt if there are many ISP's left that don't use traffic shaping. BT's pricing structure makes it uneconomic not to. Of course, once the exchange is LLU'd, then there are no BT bandwidth charges to pay, so it becomes possible to offer connections with only minimal traffic shaping or, indeed, none at all.

Thanks

Many thanks for the info guys.

Looks like the isp's who do not have the LLU equipment at the local exchanges are mainly all the same then when it comes to their "non-LLU broadband" offers?

If the isp's offer unlimited upto 8Mb service is it only the price then that differs one from the other?

Would there be anything else which I would need to look for before taking the plunge?

I think after living in the city I have been spoilt as my current local exchange has all the LLU you can think of! Quite a contrast from where i am moving to which has none at all. Aghh....

Cheers again

Andy

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forthpalm View Post
      If the isp's offer unlimited upto 8Mb service is it only the price then that differs one from the other?
      Well, I wouldn't say it's as easy as that. It's the ISP that implements traffic shaping, not BT.

The way that BT charges ISPs is the main reason for traffic shaping. BT charge a fixed amount for each broadband connection between the customer and the exchange, but then there's an additional charge for the backhaul connection between BT's network to the ISP's network. These "pipes" are charged according to size and not according to how much traffic goes on them. If an ISP rents enough pipes so that their home users can all run at full speed in the evening peak, they'll have loads of unused bandwidth at night and (if they're primarily a residential ISP rather than a business ISP) during the day.

So there's a balance that they have to strike. They need to rent enough pipes that they don't get a reputation for being unusably slow in the evenings, whilst not renting so many that they have far too much unused (but still charged for) bandwidth during the day. The lower the ISP's charges are, the "tighter" they're likely to make that balance, so I'd be slightly weary of simply choosing the very cheapest ISP.

Of course, Sky can get away with charging very little for their broadband services because (a) they don't have to rent backhaul bandwidth from BT for their LLU connections and (b) the bulk of their profit comes from getting people to take up Sky TV.

Thanks

Many thanks James for your help in this matter.

If I knew that Sky did not throttle their Connect package I think i would propbably opt for their services but at 17 for a 40Gb download limit (and possible throttling) I may look around.
      ADSL24 appear to have a pretty good reputation when it comes to non-llu services - and no throttling at all ) They do implement offpeak and peak limits which you can pay more for ie 29.99 a month gives you 60Gb peak and 300Gb offpeak (1 month contract).

This would appear to be the way to go - expensive but you get what you pay for as you suggested in your posting (dearer provider more pipes etc)..

Cheers again

Andy

gamesaregood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Foxhall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Just to confirm I'm currently on Sky Connect (Exchange has no LLU Room so getting it for 5 a month until the LLU capacity is expanded and I'm moved over..)

It is throttled as I've noticed a significant reduction in download speeds compared to my previous ISP (Demon)

However seeing as I'm on the end of the exchange and am currently on a 1.5MB/Sec Profile (2000kbps Sync) the 50k ish a second I'm throttled too is not too bad ... it does seem to be a little better really off peak (2am kind of area) and I know I will be going onto LLU ... I hope soon!

However if I was syncing at 8mbps and being throttled down to 50k ... I would not be so happy...

I would look at more costly ISPs if your looking for a non throttled package... also read those Terms and Cons though...

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gamesaregood View Post
      Just to confirm I'm currently on Sky Connect (Exchange has no LLU Room so getting it for 5 a month until the LLU capacity is expanded and I'm moved over..)
      That is right, as you are getting Connect for 5 then your exchange will probably be unbundled within the next 6 months or so.

gamesaregood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Foxhall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      That is right, as you are getting Connect for 5 then your exchange will probably be unbundled within the next 6 months or so.
      The Exchange is already enabled for Sky LLU (My Neighbour has Mid) but all the space on sky's kit is full so I need to wait until its expanded... at least that's what sky told me when I signed up late Nov. I was told that I would just get a letter through the post when I had been migrated onto Mid.