Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Intermittent cutouts! At my wits end...

This is a discussion on Intermittent cutouts! At my wits end... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy well, you're not on Base - so change your profile!! ummm...firstly, turn off UPnP and see ...

D_TOX is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent cutouts! At my wits end...

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      well, you're not on Base - so change your profile!!

ummm...firstly, turn off UPnP and see if that helps...

also, are you running in your master/test socket as errors are quite high even though the stats are from a very short period of time...

EDIT: moleman, you missed the link on the HERE...
      Well, the Router is 3 rooms away from the Master Socket. The master socket is by our front door, nowhere near the office, so simply 'testing' it out will prove difficult. Assuming ill need to buy some sort of extension? Yet on the link Moleman provided it says do not test with a cable other than the standard one. Also, why would the master socket have anything to do with it, if it has been running fine for months? I'm not questioning your experience, i'm just curious to know as my old man will ask the same questions.

I will try UPnP but in the meanwhile your replies are appreciated. Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

why would the master socket have anything to do with it, if it has been running fine for months?
      telephone extentions do work fine for ages, then can just go wrong !
      it happened to me, and i have see many threads on this site where people have asked the same question thinking it could not be anything in there house, yet when tested in the master socket (or better still the test socket behind the faceplate) they have seen much better Sync/Speed/stable connection

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

As you have obviously got a lot of extension wiring on your system I would think you would benefit from disconnecting your ring wire, or preferably fitting an ADSL faceplate. I am at work at the moment, but when I get home I'll post a couple of links to explain it. (Or you could do a search on "ring wire" yourself.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D_TOX View Post
      why would the master socket have anything to do with it
      The reason for trying in the test socket on the master is to prove if the problem is with your extensions, and therefor fixable by you, or at the BT end and only SKY/BT can then do anything about it.

The "ring wire" is the wire (usually orange/white) connected to terminal 3 of the master socket and is not used on ADSL lines (it used to carry the ringing tone to the extensions hence its name) and if left connected can act as an aerial and pick up lots of interference. (The filters now provide the "ring" to the phones if needed.) Disconnecting this at the master socket may well cure your problems but if not and you are unable to plug into the test socket then remove every thing else from all the extensions and post a new set of stats to see if there has been any change.

Some useful links: UK Telephone Wiring ::. Kitz - Low SNR Margin & problems .::

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Could just keep a long ethernet handy for testing purposes, I know I have a 10m and a 20m ethernet cable that I keep handy even though I don't use them. That way the router can be on the test socket and a long ethernet run to the pc.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks guys, if i have time ill try these out later tonight when i get back from work.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Okay, so i reset router to get the net back online and access to the configurations. Ive turned off UPnP, and im going to see how it goes from there. I'll keep you posted. Sorry i couldn't try this sooner, been too busy with work and college.

Cheers.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well its still cutting out with UPnP off and the Sky Box has a filter built-in. We only have one phone in the house, would that need a filter on the socket? Either way, will it make much difference?

Can't test the master socket yet as i haven't got a cable long enough. When i do, must i plug the cable into the master socket and into the router?

Cut outs are definitely more frequent in the evenings, during the day i can have a connection for much longer. Mean much?

Anything else i can try? Cheers guys.
      Last edited by D_TOX; 12-01-08 at 04:30 PM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky box has a filter built in? What Sky box?
      The only filter supplied by sky is the little adsl filter with the telephone socket and adsl modem socket in the end of it.
      You need to be plugged into the master socket for testing to find out what has happened and unless you are using a pre-filtered master socket then the telephone needs to be on a filter too (anything on the line must connect via a filter).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D_TOX View Post
      Well its still cutting out with UPnP off and the Sky Box has a filter built-in. We only have one phone in the house, would that need a filter on the socket? Either way, will it make much difference?

Can't test the master socket yet as i haven't got a cable long enough. When i do, must i plug the cable into the master socket and into the router?

Cut outs are definitely more frequent in the evenings, during the day i can have a connection for much longer. Mean much?

Anything else i can try? Cheers guys.
      The sky box (digibox) most certainly doesn't have a filter built in, thats most probably a double adapter. All devices must have a filter. I think if you get the filtering correct your problems may be solved. (But I still think removing the ring wire is a good idea).
      ADSL problems are always worse in the evenings because of interference (think of medium wave radio and how bad that is in the evening) and crosstalk (everybody else trying to use their broadband along BT wires laid alongside yours).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast