Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help required with connect deal

This is a discussion on Help required with connect deal within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I need your advise on what I should do. I have just moved home and the exchange (Sidcup) at my ...

egoman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help required with connect deal

I need your advise on what I should do.
      I have just moved home and the exchange (Sidcup) at my new address is full so Sky have moved me to a BT connect service (they said something about Mid but am unsure what that relates to - I was on the Max account in my previous house). Sky said it would be a temporary solution as they had run out of Sky broadband accounts in my area and it was only 5. The problem is that I am getting the following stats from my router

ADSL Link - Downstream - Upstream
      Connection Speed - 288 kbps - 288 kbps
      Line Attenuation - 21.0 db - 30.0 db
      Noise Margin - 30.3 db - 31.0 db

When I rang sky and ask why the speed was so low they said this was normal and could do no more for me. I rang up BT to see if they could see any issues with my line and BT says that I am just over 1km from the exchange and that my line is reporting no problems. So I rang Sky back again and again they said the speed I was getting was correct.

Is this really the case ? Is this the speed I should be getting from a sky connect account ? Should I cancel and go with another ISP or will my speed be the same there too ??

Any help is truely appreciated, and if anyone would like more details please provide instuctions as I'm a novice at all this technical stuff.

2. Advertisement
      HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Help required eith connect deal

Looking briefly at your attenuationa nd noise margin there should be no reason why you couldnt get faster speeds.

the upstream is the typical upstream of a normal IPStream account (pre MaxADSL) and should in theory no longer exist.

It would appear that you are being capped, but for what reasons I do not know...
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

being on connect you do have to wait for 10 day training before sky will look into it.
      saying that you do looked capped (very high noise margin)

you could have a look at this thread and see if the advice posted may help, if not you would then have to wait and phone sky or phone sky of the off chance of getting hold of someone who may bend the rules abit (not sure if they can before the 10 days ?)

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by egoman View Post
      I have just moved home and the exchange (Sidcup) at my new address is full so Sky have moved me to a BT connect service (they said something about Mid but am unsure what that relates to - I was on the Max account in my previous house). Sky said it would be a temporary solution as they had run out of Sky broadband accounts in my area and it was only 5. The problem is that I am getting the following stats from my router

When I rang sky and ask why the speed was so low they said this was normal and could do no more for me. I rang up BT to see if they could see any issues with my line and BT says that I am just over 1km from the exchange and that my line is reporting no problems. So I rang Sky back again and again they said the speed I was getting was correct.

Is this really the case ? Is this the speed I should be getting from a sky connect account ? Should I cancel and go with another ISP or will my speed be the same there too ??

Any help is truely appreciated, and if anyone would like more details please provide instuctions as I'm a novice at all this technical stuff.
      No something is seriously wrong, I have a line attenuation of over 30db and I sync at 8mb, looking at you noise margin I would say your speed has been seriously capped. Connect is a rebranded BT product so Sky may have to contact BT to sort it out, also Connect has a 10 day "training period" to find the best speed unlike Skys mid/max products but I think your speed is too bad for it to be that causing the problem.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

also have you tried rebooting the router ?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Just to add the training period would normally consist of your sync speed going up and down while BT's equipment works out your best aceivable STABLE rate. During this process (unless your stats for upstream are severly bad) you should have a constant 488 kbps upstream.

So someone/something has capped you somewhere for reasonsons unknown...
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

"Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

skytsat1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by egoman View Post

ur line is traning, does tht for the 1st 10 days u have to be connected to the master socket for it to train properly. ur snr being 30 lowers ur band width and u also have to keep it in the master socket. after the 10days call sky if its still the same cst would be able to give u accurate readings on wat u should be able to get. dont phone within the 10days for slow connection, u also have to have microfilters on every socket and they will ask u to connect to the test socket! behind the face plate of ur master socket.
      i work for sky........

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skytsat1 View Post
      ur snr being 30 lowers ur band width and u also have to keep it in the master socket.
      I do believe what you are saying there is false and is giving the user false information.

The fact that the SNR is at 30 indicates that the line is being capped as by the nataure of MaxADSL the router will obtain the highest possible sync. Once this happens the SNR will drop the higher the speed goes.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Skystat1 where abouts in Sky do you work? If you are T1 you need to go back over your training as some of your posts are factually incorrect.
      Egoman when was your line activated and was your router on the line from that day on? You need to be troubleshot for slow connection/ speed config and escalated to CST for the cap to be removed. If you cannot get through or keep being blocked then you may be able to get somewhere using the contact us page on sky.com as the email will go straight to the relevant support group.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Paul,

Looking through some of Skystat1's posts he/she mentions being in T3, which if im honest if very worrying if true...
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast