Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Help required with connect deal

This is a discussion on Help required with connect deal within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thank you very much for all your responses to my issue. Here are some of the questions answered. My line ...

egoman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help required with connect deal

Thank you very much for all your responses to my issue.

Here are some of the questions answered.
      My line went live on Saturday (5th Jan) just gone and I have tried rebooting the router. The Stats I have provide have never changed since the account when live. The router is plug into the Master Socket and via an ADSL Splitter. I have also tried the test socket which gave the same results.

New Question
      Should I wait 10 days as some people have suggested or ring sky now and ask for the capp to be removed (if there is one). Is the capp added by BT or Sky or either of them?

If I wait 10 days and the speed is still the same can I still cancel Sky Broadband as I thought the cooling off period was only 8 days?

Thank you again for all your help.

2. Advertisement
      HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

the cooling off period is only 8 days so if you wait for 10 days you will no longer be able to cancel. One thing that reinforces this is that all speeds are advertised as "Up To" meaning that the speed you are seeing falls in as part of that and so you have no grounds to stand on.

There is no difference in waiting 10 days and then phoning about having the cap removed or phoning now. The only differen ther are is that if you call now, your line can be uncapped and you will get higher sync's meaning that when the training period is over youll have a more accurate IP Profile set by BT. If you wait untilt he 10 days are over and the cap is removed, you may see higher sync's but you will not see higher speeds as it takes 3 days for BT to act on a change in your line. This means that your router will have to have had a stable sync for 3 days in order for your IP Profile to change.

I personally would attempt to call sky and have them look at removing the cap or have them have BT remove the cap (if its BT's fault).
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Yep I would call now and tell them you know for definate your config is wrong and you have been capped before the line has trained. If you get no joy then call back this evening and you may get through to one of the guys I group with on call and I'll keep an eye out just in case. End of day though your line is not training as it cannot train while capped.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Help required eith connect deal

Quote Originally Posted by HSNetwork View Post
      Looking through some of Skystat1's posts he/she mentions being in T3, which if im honest if very worrying if true...
      Yes it certainly is.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK just got off the phone to sky and thanks to everyone help here at skyuser.co.uk they are going to check if my line has been capped. I will update you with here response as soon as I get one.

While I was talking to here she did direct me to samknows.com and ask for me to type in my details for the Broadband Availability Checker (see results below). She said that my service should only support a 1mb connection and said this was due to my house being so far away from the exchange although I could walk to it in a few minutes from where I live.

BT ADSL broadband availability
      You are connected to the Sidcup telephone exchange.

ADSL is available in your area
      Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services

According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support a 1Mbps or greater ADSL connection.

Standard ADSL RAG results:
      You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
      You may be able to receive 1Mbps ADSL
      You may be able to receive 512Kbps ADSL
      (Engineer visit likely)
      You may be able to receive 256Kbps ADSL
      (Engineer visit likely)

You are approximately 823 metres from the exchange (straight line distance).

However, there is another service on your phone line (e.g. ADSL, LLU, DACS, etc) that would prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection.

Your BT ADSL code is: AEAEAEC
      Matched result using the phone you provided

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

^^ sounds a bit strange with your attenuation of 21 ?

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

thats sounds very funny indeed. with a SNR of 30 and attenuation of 21 I would have thought you were very capable of receiving 5mb+ if not full speed.
      What also strikes me as odd is the results stating you cannot get 2mb given that it states your only 800 odd meters from the exchange (as the crow flies). The only way this would be true is if your line went to the next village first and then back to the exchange, but then your attenuation would be higher and your SNR lower.

I would say that you could safely ignore that report as you are capable (going by line stats) of obtaining well more than 2mb, and that for the moment having the cap removed is a prime objective...
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry I have not posted earlier (been a bit busy) I got a phone call back from Sky yesterday and they said the cap had now been removed. I then checked and after rebooting the router I had exactly the same stats/speed. so I rang sky back this morning and they are now rebranding my account as it was an account restricted to 250kbps.

Thank you all very much for all your advise and suggestions I don't think I would have got this far without it.

I'll update this post with further details as and when they become available.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Finally sorted - kinda - now getting these stats

ADSL Link - Downstream - Upstream
      Connection Speed - 7616 kbps - 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation - 15.5 db - 30.0 db
      Noise Margin - 9.3 db - 26.0 db

although if I perform a speed test i'm only getting 1.5 mb downspeed and 384 upspeed - any suggestions how to improve on this if its still the same after 10 days??

Thanks again to everyone here at skyuser.co.uk

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Connect uses an exchange based rate adaptation process. One of the effects of this is that it takes 3 days of higher sync before the system reacts and increases your BRAS profile which is the speed you can download/upload at.

Give it a few days and providing your sync speed stays as high as it is then your download speed should improve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12