Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Dynamic ip address - manually change?

This is a discussion on Dynamic ip address - manually change? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thinking of migrating from o2 broadband to sky due to needing a dynamic ip address. The reason i need a ...

allan235 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Dynamic ip address - manually change?

Thinking of migrating from o2 broadband to sky due to needing a dynamic ip address. The reason i need a dynamic ip is because i keep getting locked out of certain gaming sites, very very frustrating.

o2 broadband do provide dynamic ip however the ip address has not changed in the 4 months i have been with them, and there is no way at all to change it - I dont like the idea of having the same ip address for 4 months for security reasons either.
      Just wondering can you manually change sky broadband's dynamic ip - can you change it by disconnecting the ethernet cable and re-connecting it or is there any other way of manually changing the ip address? Or are they set for a period of time like o2 broadband whereby you cannot do anything to make the ip change and have to wait until the lease expires ? I actually went away on holiday for 2 weeks, unplugged the router, came back, and my ip address was still the same.

Hoping I can just do something simple with sky broadband like just re-start the router to get a new ip!

And if anyone has any questions regarding o2 broadband please feel free to ask, I can say they have been superb in the time I have been with them - apart from the ip address never changing! Allan

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Dynamic ip address - manually change?

I'm left wondering what it is that you do that gets your IP address banned, but that aside, my experience is that I get a new IP address everytime my router connects. All you need to do to get a new IP address is to go to the router's configuration pages, click on the disconnect button and then click on the connect button.

This seems to be the norm on Sky Broadband, although I've heard one or two people who claim that their IP address doesn't change.