Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Unable to access Internet

This is a discussion on Unable to access Internet within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi fellas! This is my first post so please be gentle! I have Sky Broadband for my sins and currently ...

jwithi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unable to access Internet

Hi fellas!

This is my first post so please be gentle!

I have Sky Broadband for my sins and currently have the 'Connect' package. It was working fine all yesterday until about 8pm when i kept getting 'Page cannot be displayed'.

I run the diagnostics within XP to check my connection which reported back everything was OK and that it could connect to Microsoft.com - i tried this and could connect to the web page, but whenever i try another site - BBC, Google, Yahoo, etc still get page cannot be displayed.

I can connect to the router and all the lights are on and flashing as usual. However, when i tried to ping bbc.co.uk or run a tracert to bbc.co.uk i just recieved a funny error.

I would guess the problem is with SKY\BT as i can ping the router but nothing past it.

Has anyone come across anything like this before, or does anyone have and suggestions of any router settings that could be blocking outbound traffic.

Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Unable to access Internet

There are issues on connect for some customer, try rebooting your router by removing the black power lead for 30 seconds and then plug it back in.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply PaulSky,

I unplugged it several times last night without any joy.

Im going to try a new network cable and different PC tonight when i get in from work and if i still have no joy it will be a call to Sky which i am sure will be fun, going on previous calls i have made to them.

pmctech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Locks Heath
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,
      I have had virtually the same issue with no connection (supposedly) ping to DNS server OK and showing OK with the connection but only able to access the BBC and HSBC sites. On my second call they said they would send a replacement router within 3-5 days but when I called again, supprise supprise no details of any router having been dispatched. At least I have a ticket number now after my third call and a promise that a BT engineer will visit the exchange to do some tests. Will have to wait and see!!!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This seems to be quite a common problem, and even though i have only been with Sky BB for just over 2 months i am already thinking of changing provider once my contract is up.

When i originally phoned up to order 2MB BB they asked for my phone number, which i did not have, as i had only just moved into the house, which i explained to them to which they told me it was not a problem and once i have my phone number and connected line i can ring them back and get the 2MG free BB connected.

I was therefore surprised when i called them back with my new number to find out that no Sky equipment was installed in my Exchange and all they could offer me was the Connect option for 17 quid a month!

After complaining they offered me the Connect package at a reduced 5 a month with speeds upto 5MB and told me that Sky equipment will be installed in my exchange in a couple of weeks, at which point i will be sent a letter telling me that i could change back to the free 2MB package if i want to.

Been over 2 months now, no letter, and no Sky equipment in my Exchange.

Sorry for the rant i just feel totally screwed over by Sky!

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Without the number they would not have known what exchange you were hooked to and up till then they would have been working on the (incorrect) assumption that your exchange was unlooped and that was why you were calling for the service.
      Once you gave the number the issue would have become apparent at which point the only service you could be offered is Connect. It may be that equipment is going to be installed on your exchange but to be honest this would not be the first time that a salesperson has lied to make a closure.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

When I called to get connected after being given my new number I called the Broadband number and explained everything to the guy, who was actually very helpful for a change, and asked the number i had originally called to order Sky+, Sky Talk, Sky Surf and explained it was the normall Sky number that i had used off a leaflet i had picked up.

He explained that when you ring this number 9 times out of 10 you will get through to a Sky TV representative and they will tell you anything to get you to sign up to a TV package and told me this is one of the biggest problems they are having and customer are being promised services that they dont even have access to just so that the TV guys can mark down another sale as it where.

It seems that all 3 departments within Sky are in competition with each other instead of all working to together to provide a quality service.

pntalbot8 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I was was on Connect for 10 months no trouble at all-- 17.Their Eqpt LLU was installed last June 07, but I was told it took a further 3-4 months to Test it Out.I complained and they reduced the 17 to 5. In October 07, I was not given the Option for Max /Base, just put on `MID` but I am not complaining,I live 1.25 miles from Exchange and get a regular Down Speed of 6.4mbps -- its brilliant all for a `Fiver`--how can you beat that ? ?