Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

JUst got connected to Connect but very sloooow

This is a discussion on JUst got connected to Connect but very sloooow within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ah hang on, your activation date isn't till the 10th? You may not be getting a full ADSL signal till ...

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: JUst got connected to Connect but very sloooow

Ah hang on, your activation date isn't till the 10th? You may not be getting a full ADSL signal till the 10th on the telephone line. See what happens on the 10th, turn the router off over night on the 9th and power it up again on the 10th. It may well sync properly.
      You could call the order status line to ask if BT have actually connected you yet and activated you but looking at your stats I don't think activation has completed yet.

2. Advertisement
      dave76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Saddleworth
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ah right, I'll leave it until the 10th then - they definitely did something though as there was nothing at all on the line until yesterday (I turned my router on each evening since 2nd jan just in case they had connected it)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Might just be a test signal on the line, we get that sometimes when customers call in before their activation date. Check with order status but unless it's bugging you to the point of insanity I would give it till the 10th and see if it changes.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Might just be a test signal on the line, we get that sometimes when customers call in before their activation date. Check with order status but unless it's bugging you to the point of insanity I would give it till the 10th and see if it changes.
      ok, cheers (its working faster than my mobile phone modem I was using beforehand!)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well it got to the 10th and sky website showed the connection as complete but my router stats are almost exactly the same as I posted in the first post (after reboot, and also using a linksys router with my sky details). Gave them a call but got through to someone whos computer said they couldnt do anything for another 10 days as expected Why dont they say when you join that you might not get full speed for 10 days and dont bother ringing up beforehand??

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

if you have done 10 days of waiting and speed is the same, sky should be able to give you some reason ?
      did the person you spoke to look at your line or was it the helpful ()T1 who told you to wait another 10 days ?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Erm no during the 10 day training period we are only supposed to check connectivity etc to make sure it's set up correctly and then advise of 10 day training period on the line.
      He hasn't done 10 days waiting he only activated on the system on the 10th but his line went live early with a test signal on 7th.
      The customers 10 day training only started yesterday so please don't start pointing the finger at T1 as the router should not have been connected till day of activation as per instructions in the install pack.
      Dave can you post a new set of stats please? It may be that you can force it to lose the settings but there is a chance that it will need a call to CST to do it. You could try using the contact us link on Sky.com - Sky Help Centre;tg&Contact Us>Feedback - General Enquiry
      and just tell them that your router was plugged in too early on the line and now has the wrong config on it, can they reset it.
      Odds are though it should reset itself over the next 10 days but I find they respond to the email within 2-3 days.
      Last edited by PaulSky; 11-01-08 at 07:26 AM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I will get some new stats tonight when I get home but all that had changed yesterday was downstream power by 0.1 (ie not really any different), all the SNR and attenuation were exactly the same and connection was 288kbps up and down.

The "install pack" as you put is was a letter sent out on 4th jan which I didnt actually receive until yesterday! I had my router from my old address and when I asked for it to be transferred they said it could take up to 10 days. I know they sometimes get around to connecting early (just depends when they actually visit the exchange - I guess they do a job lot of connections at once) and they didnt say "under no circumstances connect the router before your given activation date" so I turned it on each evening until one day it worked.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

The customers 10 day training only started yesterday so please don't start pointing the finger at T1
      sorry Paul, no offence intended.
      i did put in my IF the 10 day period is up
      (i should have looked back at the thread to see the date, but could not be bothered )

Exchange:
      Thanks

I dunno.... some people
      The "install pack" as you put is was a letter sent out on 4th jan which I didnt actually receive until yesterday! I had my router from my old address and when I asked for it to be transferred they said it could take up to 10 days.
      Nope that is just the welcome/ information letter, it's not the same as the install pack which is the router, filters, cables and little quick start guide etc.
      In my pack it told you about not plugging in untill the line is active, if you didn't have a new router sent out then you would probably not have received that information as a new installation pack would not have been sent as the router is part of it.
      Normally plugging in early will not cause an issue but we have had a few where BT Openwoe have connected the line early and then just sent test signals down it, the customer then thinks they are live and rings up to complain when it goes down again.
      This will need an escalation to CST I expect but you will have to get past T1 first and they will quote the 10 day rule unless they know what the problem is. I would call them tonight and tell them that you are on Connect, are within the 10 day training period BUT that your router has been sent an incorrect config that is now locked onto it and it is not actually training on the line. I would then ask to be troubleshot for speed and config but I know the odds are that they will state the 10 day rule again.
      The contact us link bypasses T1 and would probably be a quicker option if you cannot get past T1 on the phone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast