Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help Requested: Serious Connection Problems

This is a discussion on Help Requested: Serious Connection Problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Firstly id like to thank you guys for taking the time to check out this thread and to the admins ...

MikeF is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help Requested: Serious Connection Problems

Firstly id like to thank you guys for taking the time to check out this thread and to the admins for creating this site for people like myself to try to get their issues sorted. Secondly, Happy New Year.

Now to the problem. Ive had Sky Max Broadband for about a month and from the start there has been problems. Basically the problem is that my connection drops on a frequent basis. It could stay unconnected for hours or minutes. Initially sky thought it may have been my router so they sent out a new Sagem router to replace the NetGear one i had.

This didnt help.

The problem remained and im lucky to have 1 hour of uninterrupted connection.

Here are screenshots of the router status etc.

The problem persists on BOTH ethernet conected and wireless computers.

As you can see from the top image the Modem Status shows the PPP server down. I have no idea what this refers. Just in case its relevant when the connection is lost then i get a request from whtever website im viewing to access a password and user name , below is a screenshot example

Any help you guys could offer would be extremely appreciated as myself and my housemates are running out of patience with Sky. If you need any more info please ask and i will do my best to supply it.

Thanks in advance,
      Mike.

2. Advertisement
      kpax88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Help Requested: Serious Connection Problems

Make sure its in the Master Socket with a swapped microfilter, no extension cable and no other telephony devices on the line.

Then download Mossywell bounce router for detailed stats, post them and we can tell u a bit more

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Mossywell won't work as that looks like one of the new routers in use. Please post and explain how you are connected to the telephone line, what other devices are on the line and is the screenshot from when the connection is down?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
      Just in case its relevant when the connection is lost then i get a request from whtever website im viewing to access a password and user name , below is a screenshot example
      Just a stab in the dark, but you haven't by any chance got Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) switched on on one of your PCs have you? Having that switched on can cause all kinds of craziness.

Edit: Nah - forget that. That wouldn't account for this problem.
      Last edited by James67; 07-01-08 at 10:36 AM.

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hmm,

MikeF who was on plusnet? (Sorry the name rang a bell)
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Apoligies for the slow reply but work + internet problems havent given me much time to myself. To answer yoru questions:

The screenshot IS from form when the router is down. We have only i BT socket in our house and we have the the filter plugged into that. We have tried having out computers plugged directly into the router (ethernet) and also tried having a hub plugged into the router and then our computers plugged directly into the hub but neither helps to keep a stable connection. And nope sorry HSNetwork im not that MikeF.

Any more ideas are appreciated.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

with your attenuation i would have expected a much better sync speed (up and down)
      when browising could you keep the statistics page open and keep an eye on the noise margins
      have you tried the test socket (see first link in my sig) ?

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post

This is a real puzzler! The line attenuation is nice and low, the noise margin is fantastically high but the connection speed is awful and still doesn't want to connect with the exchange equipment.

Unless anyone knows differently I would guess that the username and password prompt is coming from the PPPoA equipment at the exchange. The ADSL username and password in the router must be valid or you would not be able to connect at all, so I am guessing this is a problem in the exchange.

Does the new v2 router have a "Sky test " button like the V1? If so, what happens when you click it? It should return an error number if the connection fails which presumably someone here may be able to interpret?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

he's capped...just an observation...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just tried testing the master socket and it makes no diffrence, i still get connection drops. Also i ran a "sky test" when the router was down and the result was:

Network DNS address allocation falure.Return code:300
      Sorry just to clarify my original post. The middle pic with the statistics of the router noise margin etc is when their IS a connection present. The top picture is when the connection is down. Also the noise margins have variated quite a bit from <7 up to 20+ . I understand that anything less that 7 and the connection is likely to drop. Also reading on another post in this forum i have reset the router whenever i have seen the noise margin drop close to 7 in the hopes that the router will attune itselft and compensate for the noise even though the connection speed will probably decrease.
      Last edited by MikeF; 14-01-08 at 01:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast